Joel Zumaya

marcus

Guys,

I'm a Tigers fan so I feel like I'm probably bias here. I was reading an article in Sun-Times about the game yesterday. I'm not rubbing anything in. I'm just wondering if the Sox Fans on here agree with the article that Zumaya got too excited after the strike outs in the 8th.

Again I'm a Tigers fan so short of the guy full out taunting I'll probably let it slide.

That being said I don't mind celebration. As long as it isn't ridiculous or for routine things.

Heres the article Sun-Times Article

Thanks.

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
Guys,

I'm a Tigers fan so I feel like I'm probably bias here. I was reading an article in Sun-Times about the game yesterday. I'm not rubbing anything in. I'm just wondering if the Sox Fans on here agree with the article that Zumaya got too excited after the strike outs in the 8th.

Again I'm a Tigers fan so short of the guy full out taunting I'll probably let it slide.

That being said I don't mind celebration. As long as it isn't ridiculous or for routine things.

Thanks.

There were different reactions in the game thread yesterday. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. Big game, heart of the order, sure. But, Paulie was dead on -- if/when the Sox ever get to him, he has to be ready to get it back in spades. If so, game on.

That's the problem a lot of us had with the Cubs and celebrations. Endless whining over Osuna's fist pump, then Zambrano pulls out a Sharpie for every strikeout.

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
Guys,

Thanks.

No problem at all. I am sure that the next time Konerko hits a dong off of him, when Konerko flips the bat or stares at the ball going into the dark of the night that Zumaya just remembers that its part of the game.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
No problem at all. I am sure that the next time Konerko hits a dong off of him, when Konerko flips the bat or stares at the ball going into the dark of the night that Zumaya just remembers that its part of the game.

Hopefully Paulie gets a pitch to hit next time.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)

I agree whole heartedly.

Just like I truely wish that I could see a defensive back pick off a pass or fumble from Terrel Owens or Chad Johnson and do a dance or celebration in the endzone.

It think its part of the game. I think its the thin line and of course people will support the players on their favorite teams. Thats just why I asked. I didn't see a big deal but I figured I was being a homer.

I think if you look back on history was Fisk's jumping up and down over the top? Maybe but it was in celebration of an amazing moment.

Was Gibson's arm pumping too much? Who knows, but its memorable and a timeless image of that moment.

(I'm not placing Zumaya in that class just speaking to celebration)

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
I agree whole heartedly.

Just like I truely wish that I could see a defensive back pick off a pass or fumble from Terrel Owens or Chad Johnson and do a dance or celebration in the endzone.

It think its part of the game. I think its the thin line and of course people will support the players on their favorite teams. Thats just why I asked. I didn't see a big deal but I figured I was being a homer.

I think if you look back on history was Fisk's jumping up and down over the top? Maybe but it was in celebration of an amazing moment.

Was Gibson's arm pumping too much? Who knows, but its memorable and a timeless image of that moment.

(I'm not placing Zumaya in that class just speaking to celebration)

Bobby Jenks is obviously one of my favorite players. And he has a signature fist pump on a big strikeout. Emotion carries these types of pitchers.

It shows the kid cares and that he is really into the game. I got no problem with it and I don't think of it as showing a guy up. Obviously if Paulie smacks a big HR off him he may give a little excessive clap or something (especially if its a clutch HR to give us the win or something).

The Tigers are a fun team to watch this year and I want both squads to make it into the post-season.

I had no problem with Zumaya's celebration when it occured, and I certaintly have none 24 hours afterwards.

I heard an interesting piece of information discussed on Silvy and Carmen last night. Apparently, when returning from a commercial break, cameras (probably from ESPN) caught Zumaya mouthing "fish those guys." LOL. I find it rather funny. Nothing hurts more than someone who talks trash and can back it up.

It's their obligation to do something about it next time. I don't care how dififcult it is, if you want to return the favor, hit him and celebrate appropriately. Can't fault Zumaya for displaying emotion following the out.

I say if you want to pump your fist after a big strike out in a big game or stand and watch your go ahead home run sail over the wall, then go to it. It adds some fun and excitment to the game. All the crap about how you shouldn't show up the other team is just bullspiff.

The only time things like this piss me off is when you get the guys that get all pissy when its done back to them or the guys that celebrate things in meaningless situations. Though it is almost comical watching someone hit a solo shot in the 8th inning of a game with there team down by 8 runs and they still do a little hop out of the box and pump their fist.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
I only wish our players showed as much heart and enthusiasm as Zumaya did in the series.

Yeah I really have a problem when a guy like Zambrano does it in like the 2nd inning or something. When a reliever doe sit in a huge spot, its understandable to me

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 02:40 AM)
I had no problem with it, it was a huge strikeout in a huge game. Zambrano goes too far though, he pulls that stuff in the second inning.

Yea, exactly.

Let him celebrate, it was a big K in a close game. Jenks does the same stuff, so do many other pitchers for that matter.