Dontrelle Willis almost a White Sox?

whitesox61382

I haven't seen any threads about this article. According to Jon Heyman's article(The Daily Scoop) on the SI website the White Sox were after Dontrelle Willis. Here is the quote:

"The White Sox are another team that's recently made a run at Willis, offering what one executive termed 'an impressive package.' They, too, were rebuffed."

Pretty interesting stuff. Personally, I think Willis is a little overrated, but a young lefty with his arm would certainly be an upgrade with the way the Sox starting staff has pitched of late. I wonder what that "impressive package" consisted of? KW continues to fly under the radar.

Here is the link. It is on the second page of the article at the bottom.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...etenders/1.html

Not that they (Marlins) would do this because of salary and common sense reasons, but it would be nice to dump Freddy AND Vazquez to acquire a top of the line starter like Willis, and put BMac in the rotation.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
No thx.

I'll take my chances with what we have now.

If we could have him for no major league pieces, then I'd jump all over that opportunity.

Willis would most likely do great his first time through the AL, which would be perfect for the stretch run.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
Shouldn't it be "almost a White Sock"? :P

As long as BMac, Sweeney, and Anderson aren't involved, I don't care if most other minor league talent is traded.

More so "almost a member of the White Sox"

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
My guess is that the package centered around BMac and Fields. The Marlins want young major league ready talent and won't trade Willis unless they are blown away. So an impressive package that might interest the Marlins would probably include both of those guys.

The question is where does Fields fit in? Obviously they have Cabrera. Would they move Fields or change the position of another guy.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
The question is where does Fields fit in? Obviously they have Cabrera. Would they move Fields or change the position of another guy.

Wow, under the radar is right.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to throw in Fields, Sweeney, or Vazquez. Not all three, but any of those guys could be a part of the trade. If it were to go down.

I, for one, really don't want to give up BMac. I really think that he'll be as good as Willis once he's a starter, plus he's a homegrown, former 17th round pick, so that's always a feel-good story. On top of that, he was always one of my favorite minor leaguers, ever since he was drafted and teamed up with Haigwood and Ryan Rodriguez. I had high hopes for all 3, but at least one has made it to the bigs.

Ugh, I'm completely torn when it comes to Willis. I think he'll be pretty damn bad about 3 years from now but he probably would dominate the AL for the rest of this season, throwing elbows and knees at people. I would NEVER, NEVER trade McCarthy for Willis, that would be a huge mistake and I just can't see a deal getting done without including McCarthy.

If it were Fields + spects I'd jump all over that and then dump Freddy on someone for a piece as well.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
Wow, under the radar is right.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to throw in Fields, Sweeney, or Vazquez. Not all three, but any of those guys could be a part of the trade. If it were to go down.

Vazquez would nearly double their payroll, they have NO use for him.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
More so "almost a member of the White Sox"

Yea, thats how I usually word it just because I never know what the correct terminology is :P

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
I would NEVER, NEVER trade McCarthy for Willis, that would be a huge mistake and I just can't see a deal getting done without including McCarthy.

:cheers

I'm not a Willis fan at all. He's way too erratic and streaky for my liking, plus his delivery looks like a Tommy John surgery waiting to happen. He walks way too many guys and doesn't strike out a whole lot of them, which is generally a recipe for disaster. His WHIP is 1.42 this year. I don't see a whole lot of 2005-Dontrelle in his future. He looks like the second coming of Hideo Nomo to me.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
I'm not a Willis fan at all. He's way too erratic and streaky for my liking, plus his delivery looks like a Tommy John surgery waiting to happen. He walks way too many guys and doesn't strike out a whole lot of them, which is generally a recipe for disaster. His WHIP is 1.42 this year. I don't see a whole lot of 2005-Dontrelle in his future. He looks like the second coming of Hideo Nomo to me.

Nomo is by far the best comparison I've ever seen, that's the one I always love to use. 1 great year, another pretty good year after that about 5 or so ok years and then just utter crap. I really see Dontrelle going down this road.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
Nomo is by far the best comparison I've ever seen, that's the one I always love to use. 1 great year, another pretty good year after that about 5 or so ok years and then just utter crap. I really see Dontrelle going down this road.

And you would have to think the Marlins are mindful of that.

Yet, they are *refusing* to deal him....

I don't buy this "he's not available" bs...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
Vazquez would nearly double their payroll, they have NO use for him.

Yeah, the Sox would have to pick up most of his contract. I was just saying it wouldn't break my heart if he was traded.

Or move MCab?

Tell me you did not just say MCab. I've heard a lot of bad "first initial, first part of last name"'s, (ok, they're all horrible), but that one is probably the worst!

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
Tell me you did not just say MCab. I've heard a lot of bad "first initial, first part of last name"'s, (ok, they're all horrible), but that one is probably the worst!

What do you have against BMac?

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)

Sorry, I picked it up on other message boards....I guess it just happens when half of the all star team these days are named Cabrera, Ramirez, or Rodriguez...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
Ugh, I'm completely torn when it comes to Willis. I think he'll be pretty damn bad about 3 years from now but he probably would dominate the AL for the rest of this season, throwing elbows and knees at people. I would NEVER, NEVER trade McCarthy for Willis, that would be a huge mistake and I just can't see a deal getting done without including McCarthy.

^^^

Dontrelle would more than likely be fantastic the rest of the year but I think you give him one year in the al and he starts to get knocked around. I'm not sure why, but I've never been totally sold on Dontrelle and I'm still not. IMO Bmac will be better than Willis and I don't want Mac or BA going anywhere.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
^^^

Dontrelle would more than likely be fantastic the rest of the year but I think you give him one year in the al and he starts to get knocked around. I'm not sure why, but I've never been totally sold on Dontrelle and I'm still not. IMO Bmac will be better than Willis and I don't want Mac or BA going anywhere.

Hell, if you just look at Dontrelle's numbers this year you can see he's already starting to struggle.

IP H BB SO ERA WHIP BAA K/9 K/BB OPS G/F

Dontrelle Willis - 137 150 44 86 3.94 1.42 .282 5.65 1.96 .756 1.74

Jon Garland - 116 136 26 60 5.12 1.40 .292 4.66 2.31 .817 1.05

He's not striking anyone out, walking everyone else and giving up more H than IP. The general rule of thumb is to add .90 onto an NL pitcher's ERA to convert it to the AL. That would put Dontrelle at 4.84.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
IP H BB SO ERA WHIP BAA K/9 K/BB OPS G/F

Dontrelle Willis - 137 150 44 86 3.94 1.42 .282 5.65 1.96 .756 1.74

Jon Garland - 116 136 26 60 5.12 1.40 .292 4.66 2.31 .817 1.05

This is very, very scary.

Edited by Felix