Your Favorite Pitcher (of your lifetime)

Gregory Pratt

Of pitchers that I've gotten to watch live, I love Pedro Martinez. He pitched against us in my first Sox game in 1999.

I'm also fond of Barry Zito, and Greg Maddux. These are, though, the GREAT pitchers that I like. I also like less-great pitchers like Jamie Moyer and Mark Buehrle. I love everything I've read about Black Jack McDowell, and the videos I've seen of him. Wish I were older.

If I had to pick a favorite pitcher of my lifetime, it's probably Maddux. Martinez at second.

How about you?

My favorite pitcher just happens to be the most dominant pitcher of his era and that is Pedro Martinez. I absolutely fell in love with him in the mid '90's and 2000 just put me over the top.

In quite possibly the single most dominant season by any pitcher in the history of baseball he made American League hitters look like children in 2000. He put up a 285 ERA+ (greatest of all-time) and a .73 WHIP (also the greatest of all-time). Couple that with a 1.74 ERA which is just completely unheard of for his time and it ranks his 2000 season right up there with the greatest EVAR.

He's lead the league in WHIP 7 times, ERA 5 times, hits allowed 6 times, SO/9IP 5 times, SO/BB 4 times and ERA+ 7 times.

He's won 3 Cy Young Awards, 1 in the NL and 2 in the AL, appeared in 7 All-Star games and finished 2nd in MVP award in 1999.

98 MPH fastball and one of the greatest change ups you'll ever see, it's just not fair. There's not much not to like about the guy.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
My favorite pitcher just happens to be the most dominant pitcher of his era and that is Pedro Martinez. I absolutely fell in love with him in the mid '90's and 2000 just put me over the top.

In quite possibly the single most dominant season by any pitcher in the history of baseball he made American League hitters look like children in 2000. He put up a 285 ERA+ (greatest of all-time) and a .73 WHIP (also the greatest of all-time). Couple that with a 1.74 ERA which is just completely unheard of for his time and it ranks his 2000 season right up there with the greatest EVAR.

He's lead the league in WHIP 7 times, ERA 5 times, hits allowed 6 times, SO/9IP 5 times, SO/BB 4 times and ERA+ 7 times.

He's won 3 Cy Young Awards, 1 in the NL and 2 in the AL, appeared in 7 All-Star games and finished 2nd in MVP award in 1999.

98 MPH fastball and one of the greatest change ups you'll ever see, it's just not fair. There's not much not to like about the guy.

IMO, he was robbed by the sportswriters of the MVP Award in 1999.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
I liked Maddux before he went back to the Cubs. Tim Hudson is probably right behind him. Jon Garland #3. Kind of a sad list lol.

I didn't realize you liked Garland so much. Garlands one of my fav's to watch, but not quite ahead of guys like Liriano and Santana. Mulder is another one I like (similarities to Buehrle).

Another couple of my fav's were Langston/Finley/Abbott (watched them for a few years in Anaheim; As a kid I really modeled my pitching styles after them; please no abbot jokes; and yes I'm a lefty which is part of the reason I liked that trio so much)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
Pedro Martinez (in his prime, never saw anyone better in my lifetime and I'm convinced that at his best no one

Could not agree more. I've been a long time member of the "Pedro in His Prime was the Greatest Ever" club.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
I'm surprised by the Garland love, and by the lack of any mention of Randy Johnson.

I think you're right on about Pedro, Jason.

I thought for a long time RJ was over-rated a bit. Sure he was good and sure he got a ton of strikeouts but for a long time he completely choked in the big games (IIRC he was pretty bad with the Mariners in the post-season). However he had a few absolutely sickening years (in a good way).

But thats coming from the person who thinks Nolan Ryan is a bit over-rated. No doubt the guy had an amazing arm and was a strikeout machine, but I think at times he was overly interested in getting the strikeout and because of that he gave up a few more runs than he should have.

I should note that when I saw Ryan pitch it was more towards the end of his career for the most part (such a long career it was too).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
I thought for a long time RJ was over-rated a bit. Sure he was good and sure he got a ton of strikeouts but for a long time he completely choked in the big games (IIRC he was pretty bad with the Mariners in the post-season). However he had a few absolutely sickening years (in a good way).

But thats coming from the person who thinks Nolan Ryan is a bit over-rated. No doubt the guy had an amazing arm and was a strikeout machine, but I think at times he was overly interested in getting the strikeout and because of that he gave up a few more runs than he should have.

I should note that when I saw Ryan pitch it was more towards the end of his career for the most part (such a long career it was too).

I'm not a big fan of RJ or NR. I'm not a fan of Clemens, either. Great pitchers, sure, I could never take that away from them.

For me, its gotta be Greg Maddux. I always loved the way he pitched, and I'm usually a fan of most pitchers that rely on superb control to get their outs, rather than those that try to overpower their opponent. This is the same reason I'm a Mark Buehrle fan, despite his recent struggles.

I really don't like Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, or Curt Schilling, but thats just me. Pedro, I'm sort of indifferent to. Great pitcher, but I wouldn't call him one of my favorites.

g_orlando_412.jpg

The most clutch pitching performance I've ever seen in my short lifetime. The arm angles... the eephus... the excitement he brought to every game, even if he sucked that day.

Yeah, I know he wasn't great for us last year, but he's still my favorite. :wub:

Big closer guy myself. Always loved Hoffman cuz his wind up is sick and he confuses hitters like no other. Also i loved shingo because of the frisbee.

My fav starters:

Jon Garland. I love how he just doesnt care lol.

Brandon Webb. Nasty sinker, and he fun to watch.

Roy Oswalt. Fun to watch with his nasty curve and the fastball.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
Is Orlando your choice because of his performance in that game, or because of his entire career?

I love El Duque, too.

No, I liked him in his Yankee days. I also like the story behind the pitcher, and how he defected from Cuba (there's a book out that I'd eventually like to read on the subject).

The ALDS pitching performance (and Game 3 WS performance, despite being injured) only cemented his place in my heart (aww, don't that just make ya feel all warm and fuzzy?).

I should've said earlier that I'm a huge fan of Contreras and El Duque, not just because they're excellent (or, in Duque's case, used to be excellent) but because their life stories are incredible. I wish someone would make a movie about Contreras' life, and Duque's.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
Im a big closer guy, and I have always loved Mo and Hoffman. For me, nothing beat Hoffman in his prime coming out to Hells Bells to nail down a game.

Mariano; not so much. Hoffman on the other hand hells yeah, you gott appreciate a guy who can close out games for a decade with nothing more than a mid to upper 90's fastball and a changeup. Others have tried but not many have succeeded, hoffman will always be a fav of mine. As will Jeff Zimmerman, it's so sad that his career had to end the way it did, the guy was lights out in '01 and was never to be seen from again.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
No, I liked him in his Yankee days. I also like the story behind the pitcher, and how he defected from Cuba (there's a book out that I'd eventually like to read on the subject).

The ALDS pitching performance (and Game 3 WS performance, despite being injured) only cemented his place in my heart (aww, don't that just make ya feel all warm and fuzzy?).

Ah, you got to it while I was posting!

:cheers