Rosenthal: White Sox have interest in Gordon and Daniel Cabrera

Frankensteiner

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
Yeah, but he is a lock to net you two first round picks.

Good point. Soriano has a lot of negatives, but he also has a ton of positives. I'd sure like our chances beating the likes of Santana and Liriano the rest of the way with him in LF. The interesting thing is that the Nationals already have a stud 3B in Zimmerman.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CySox @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Carloss Lee has lots of assists, and doesn't make a lot of errors. Is he a good defender? I think not.

Neither is Podsednik.

We've had him for almost 2 full season now. I cannot recall him ever throwing out a runner whether it was a home, 3rd or 2nd.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(CySox @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
Carloss Lee has lots of assists, and doesn't make a lot of errors. Is he a good defender? I think not.

At least Soriano is capable of throwing someone out on the bases. We wouldn't be making this trade to upgrade the defense....it's to spark our offense. Soriano's one of the best offensive players in baseball, and he would be superb hitting at the Cell.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
Yeah but do you really want to see us become the Yankees and focus on hitting only?

Yes....because the price for pitching is too much. What do you do if you can't improve your weakness? That's right, you improve your strength. Anyways, who's to say we're going to have too much offense in the 2nd half of the season. Are we going to hope that half of our guys continue to have career years?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
Yes....because the price for pitching is too much. What do you do if you can't improve your weakness? That's right, you improve your strength. Anyways, who's to say we're going to have too much offense in the 2nd half of the season. Are we going to hope that half of our guys continue to have career years?

Half? I can't even name 3

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
Now Roesnthal is saying the Sox are willing to give up top prospects to get Soriano.

I've also hated how Soriano's numbers were covered by his huge SLG%, but with the year he is having, how could you not want him over Pods?

Soriano >>> Pods in every which way. He's fast, probably just as good defensively (since Pods is bad out there it doesn't take much to be better) and has a heck of a lot of pop. I've never understood why so many people underrate Soriano.

That said, do we really have what it takes to get him. If so, are we planning on swinging Pods to another team for a reliever???

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
I might get hammered for this, but if we got Soriano, we should just stick him at 2B. A Pods-Soriano combo would be awesome as your 1-2 hitters.

I think Soriano/Guchi would be better. Both are superior players to Pods, imo. But this is coming from someone who hasn't supported Pods since he stopped running.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
Yeah but do you really want to see us become the Yankees and focus on hitting only?

If we can replace Pods with someone who can at least hit like an OF then sure go for it. Our pitching can upgrade by sending either Freddy or Vaz off and putting bmac in the rotation. He had a 1.59 ERA down the stretch run last year. Pods right now is a glorified singles hitter who doesnt steal. He gets that nice hit, then sits on first. He cannot steal this year, and cannot bunt. So why again is his speed important. At least Soriano can leave the yard. It gives us one more weapon. Right now with our pitching in the state of dismay it is, we need all the firepower we can possibly get.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)

Yes, because I think with the pitching thats available (slim to none) and the price on that pitching (ridiculous) your best suited making a strength better and reading between the lines Ozzie has not been very pleased with Scotty's play this season. Soriano would be a fast improvement and would give the club a swift kick in the butt.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
Dye, AJP, Crede, PK

AJ and Paulie aren't really having career years. I can bite a bit on Dye, but Dye has had some very good years prior to his injuries and well Crede is really turning things on so I bite on that too.

AJ has been able to hit for avg for a number of years and than went away from that with the Giants and Sox and Paulie has been pretty good for a long time.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
Dye, AJP, Crede, PK

In his 3 years @ Minn where AJ started full time he hit .301. This year he is hiting .307. His SLG and OBP are also a bit down from those years.

PK's numbers are pretty similar to where they were last year in terms of OBP/SLG.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 06:07 PM)
In his 3 years @ Minn where AJ started full time he hit .301. This year he is hiting .307. His SLG and OBP are also a bit down from those years.

PK's numbers are pretty similar to where they were last year in terms of OBP/SLG.

To be honest, I hadn't looked at AJP's numbers in a few weeks. I forgot his average has fallen like 15 pts. Maybe a better classification than saying players having a career year would have been to say if we thought that our guys hitting at such a high level could really keep up that level of production the rest of the way. I've said this before, and I'll say it again....I don't want our offense to just tip their cap whenever we face Santana or Liriano in the 2nd half of the season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
To be honest, I hadn't looked at AJP's numbers in a few weeks. I forgot his average has fallen like 15 pts. Maybe a better classification than saying players having a career year would have been to say if we thought that our guys hitting at such a high level could really keep up that level of production the rest of the way. I've said this before, and I'll say it again....I don't want our offense to just tip their cap whenever we face Santana or Liriano in the 2nd half of the season.

Definitely. I've just seen a few people say half our lineup is having a career year so I was curious.

Adding Soriano would give us a chance against any pitcher we face off against.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)

A major hitch for this team is when they face left handed pitching. You have Pods, Guchi and Thome who all pretty much struggle against LHP. Thome will hit the ocassional HR off lefties but he also strikes out a ton and Pods is pretty febile against him as is Guchi (Guchi kills righties though and while he's not terrible against lefties he's not that good).

It really puts the Sox in a hole to start the games when we do play LHP. Especially since Pablo isn't doing what he was since recovering from his injury and that Widger isn't much of a hitter whether he's facing a LHP or a RHP this year.

Okay Soriano and Pods comparison. I know its dumb but I got to remind people that Soriano is just as fast if not faster than Scotty so before you think we are getting a Power hitting leadoff hitter, I'll just remind you that not only does he have 30 Hr's playing in a pitchers park, but he also has 25 stolen bases and is stealing at a 78% success rate (vastly superior to Scotty).

.282 AVG, .357 OBP, 30 HR, 60 RBI (FROM THE TOP OF THE ORDER). Best of all this guy has shown he can hit HR's anywhere cause he has a .983 OPS at home (in a major pitchers park).

Pods has 4 more stolen bases, but has been caught 5 more times, has a .353 OBP and has driven in 34. Oh and he's struck out 61 times, which is not that many less than Soriano has.

I'd offer something along the lines of Broadway + Haeger/Phillips + Podsednik, but I doubt that gets it done.

Soriano would be an intriguing possibility, but I wouldn't really want him past this year (thus why the package above is relatively weak). The extra draft picks would be nice, though.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
I'd offer something along the lines of Broadway + Haeger/Phillips + Podsednik, but I doubt that gets it done.

Soriano would be an intriguing possibility, but I wouldn't really want him past this year (thus why the package above is relatively weak). The extra draft picks would be nice, though.

The Tigers and their package starting with H. Sanchez will easily top what we likely offer. Soriano is actually the #2 guy on my wish list right now.