Rosenthal: White Sox have interest in Gordon and Daniel Cabrera

Frankensteiner

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think we need Soriano. Our offense is good enough to win it all, while right now our pitching isn't close. If we get Soriano, and our pitching doesnt improve then we'll still get our butts handed to us in the playoffs. I'll pass on Alf.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
I really don't think we need Soriano. Our offense is good enough to win it all, while right now our pitching isn't close. If we get Soriano, and our pitching doesnt improve then we'll still get our butts handed to us in the playoffs. I'll pass on Alf.

But does the Soriano pickup buy time for Coop to try and get 4 guys together that can go out and be in the post-season rotation? Thats the question and if Kenny makes that move I think he's banking on Coop figuring something out.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
But does the Soriano pickup buy time for Coop to try and get 4 guys together that can go out and be in the post-season rotation? Thats the question and if Kenny makes that move I think he's banking on Coop figuring something out.

Maybe. If we're going to make a big trade, I think it has to be to improve the pitching staff though. Whether that is adding a starter(doubtful) or addition by subtraction and getting either Vaz or Freddy out of here and letting Mac pitch in the rotation. I know you're confident in Javy but right now I have absolutley 0 confidence in Vazquez and Garcia. Buehrle will be fine and he really doesn't worry me at all(though he's beyond frusterating at this point) but I don't trust Vaz or Freddy to turn it around at all. Hopefully I'm wrong.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
Maybe. If we're going to make a big trade, I think it has to be to improve the pitching staff though. Whether that is adding a starter(doubtful) or addition by subtraction and getting either Vaz or Freddy out of here and letting Mac pitch in the rotation. I know you're confident in Javy but right now I have absolutley 0 confidence in Vazquez and Garcia. Buehrle will be fine and he really doesn't worry me at all(though he's beyond frusterating at this point) but I don't trust Vaz or Freddy to turn it around at all. Hopefully I'm wrong.

But which pitchers are really available that we can be sure would be an upgrade? That's why I would love to see someone like Tejada or Soriano added....they'd be massive upgrades over what we currently have.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
The Tigers and their package starting with H. Sanchez will easily top what we likely offer. Soriano is actually the #2 guy on my wish list right now.

Well, I've heard that Washington is also asking for Maybe (ugh -- Maybin, that is) as well.

I guess it would depend on how Bowden views Podsednik. If he thinks of him as a guy who can 'sparkplug' his offense for the next three years and be a good leadoff man, then that'll help us. If he thinks of him the same way I think of him... well, then, my offer probably wouldn't work.

We just need the starting pitching to get going (duh). I'm giving the offense a break -- they were the ones who carried us throughout the first half, not the pitching. Time for the starters to put the team on it's back and have a string of 18-out-of-20 quality starts, something of that sort.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
Well, I've heard that Washington is also asking for Maybe (ugh -- Maybin, that is) as well.

I guess it would depend on how Bowden views Podsednik. If he thinks of him as a guy who can 'sparkplug' his offense for the next three years and be a good leadoff man, then that'll help us. If he thinks of him the same way I think of him... well, then, my offer probably wouldn't work.

Bowden's the type of guy who likes "toolsy" players. Safe to say, Pods isn't the typical player Bowden likes.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
We just need the starting pitching to get going (duh). I'm giving the offense a break -- they were the ones who carried us throughout the first half, not the pitching. Time for the starters to put the team on it's back and have a string of 18-out-of-20 quality starts, something of that sort.

Absolutely. As I've said all year, with the money we have invested in our starting pitching, we're not going anywhere unless they perform well the rest of the way. If they continue to underachieve, then we clearly don't deserve to make the playoffs.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
Soft tossers without location are meat in the majors. Buerhle has had good control, up until about a month ago. Garcias control hasnt been pinpoint his entire career. The fact that he has no velocity means that unless the team is super aggressive, they just wait it out and he will give them the cookie they deserve.

Too bad we didnt draft a guy like Garza or Carillo. We keep drafting soft tossers who can barely break a plain of glass. Hopefully this experience with soft tossing freddy and Buerhle without control, will start to get the draft in the right direction.

PREACH