And thats a Sox Loser.

Heads22

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
I didn't see the play but you have to admit that more often than not, Scotty comes up with a lame duck throw home. Perfect example was the top of the 9th vs Houston in game 2 (WS).

i'm just tired of everyone knocking him for every little thing...he played a good game today. Went 2 for 4, no fielding issues. His throw home was fine, if Dye or Anderson had made the exact same throw nothing would have been said. I just think sometimes he's critiqued too much. Everyone loves BA and i love the kid too, but he went 0 for 4 with at least 3 K's and spiff defense on that line drive whatever the hell he did where he just gave up on it, but noone says a thing about that because no runs scored from it. Why criticise a guy when he has a good game? Don't you think the focus should still be on the pitching, bothing starting and the bullpen who played like horsespiff? Just my two cents.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Maverick0984 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 05:44 AM)
i'm just tired of everyone knocking him for every little thing...he played a good game today. Went 2 for 4, no fielding issues. His throw home was fine, if Dye or Anderson had made the exact same throw nothing would have been said. I just think sometimes he's critiqued too much. Everyone loves BA and i love the kid too, but he went 0 for 4 with at least 3 K's and spiff defense on that line drive whatever the hell he did where he just gave up on it, but noone says a thing about that because no runs scored from it. Why criticise a guy when he has a good game? Don't you think the focus should still be on the pitching, bothing starting and the bullpen who played like horsespiff? Just my two cents.

He played fine. He was the least of our troubles. However, his throw was horrible. If you watch the replay, he threw it so high and so softly that it took a very high hop into AJP's glove. Those are the types of plays which would be great to see our defense make. If you think about it, if Pods is able to throw that guy out, then Young's not hitting in the situation that he did that inning.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:46 AM)
He played fine. He was the least of our troubles. However, his throw was horrible. If you watch the replay, he threw it so high and so softly that it took a very high hop into AJP's glove. Those are the types of plays which would be great to see our defense make. If you think about it, if Pods is able to throw that guy out, then Young's not hitting in the situation that he did that inning.

ya well, if you think about our pitching not putting us in that situation...don't play the what-if game, it will never end. the % of a LF throwing a guy out at home is just slightly lower than a pitcher getting the guy out at the plate or deciding not to throw free passes out like the hair cuts they were giving out at the ball park.

Edited by Maverick0984

QUOTE(Maverick0984 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 05:48 AM)
ya well, if you think about our pitching not putting us in that situation...don't play the what-if game, it will never end.

No kidding, but as I was trying to say, we need people to step up and make a big play. That big play sure hasn't been coming from our offense, defense, base running, pitching, or coaching.

QUOTE(Maverick0984 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:48 AM)
ya well, if you think about our pitching not putting us in that situation...don't play the what-if game, it will never end.

That play had nothing to do with tonights outcome.

But saying it was a good throw is a bit myopic. If the ball is hit anywhere beyond I would say, halfway between the infield and the warning track, Pods has no chance to throw a guy out. His arm is absolutely terrible. In all situations, he should get it into the cutoff man, who can deliver a strike. If he does throw someone out on a fly ball deep, its because they fell over on the way into the plate.

QUOTE(Maverick0984 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 05:48 AM)
ya well, if you think about our pitching not putting us in that situation...don't play the what-if game, it will never end. the % of a LF throwing a guy out at home is just slightly lower than a pitcher getting the guy out at the plate or deciding not to throw free passes out like the hair cuts they were giving out at the ball park.

Actually, LF is usually the easiest position to throw a guy out at home based on the angle. Pods plays all the way back in Gary, Indiana though, so it's harder for him to get in good position.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 05:50 AM)
If he does throw someone out on a fly ball deep, its because they fell over on the way into the plate.

That's funny, because AJP really looked like he was about to fall over on his play at the plate.

QUOTE(Maverick0984 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 05:51 AM)
hopefully we win tomorrow....and everyone else important loses...at least the Yanks lost.

Yep....good discussion in this thread with you.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:51 AM)
Actually, LF is usually the easiest position to throw a guy out at home based on the angle. Pods plays all the way back in Gary, Indiana though, so it's harder for him to get in good position.

you misunderstood what i was saying....i wasn't saying it was easier in any other position? :huh: or anything that would even be close to resembling that...

it was jsut another knock on our pitching sucking....

maybe Garland can pitch every night till he gets fatigued...

Edited by Maverick0984

I am far from an optimist when it comes to these things, but at least Buehrle kept the base runners relatively low for an outing where he gave up 5 runs. It seems like if he does give up a run, Buehrle just wants to get the inning over as quickly as possible by throwing pitcher right over the plate.

Being extra careful with Ian Kinsler while Michael Young was on deck was beyond awful, though.

2-8 over our last 10 against good teams. If Kenny stands pat, that would pretty much be inexcusable. And I don't want to hear any spiff about bullpen help. We either need to upgrade our starters or figure out a way to improve the lineup so we can really out-homer teams. SS, CF, even LF-- let's get some high OBP guys for these positions.

I was at the game too. Ozzie needs to learn a lesson from buck in that you dont have to let your pitcher throw over 100 pitches before you get his ass out of there. I like an agressive base coach, but that was probably the worst move Cora's made since he's been here. It was a spiffty throw and he was still out by a mile. By the way, I dont know if the people watching on TV could here it but Buehrle got booed bigtime after that big inning.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 02:12 AM)
I was at the game too. Ozzie needs to learn a lesson from buck in that you dont have to let your pitcher throw over 100 pitches before you get his ass out of there. I like an agressive base coach, but that was probably the worst move Cora's made since he's been here. It was a spiffty throw and he was still out by a mile. By the way, I dont know if the people watching on TV could here it but Buehrle got booed bigtime after that big inning.

I heard it. Fans are just sick and tired of this team's play over the last 4 series.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
3/5 of our pitching staff is just not that good right now.

The presence of El Duque in '05 was huge. His strongest month was July, during which he helped stabilize that staff before Contreras came on strong. No matter what the confidence level the fans had at any time with him, there's no question playoff races and pressure had little consequence on his play...I'm not so sure the same can be said about Vasquez.

We need to focus on our box score where we continue game after game to have 3 times as many hits as we do runs (if not worse).

Yes pitching has the issues we've beat to death, but fact is our offense is not jumping all over anybody to put the pressure on THEIR pitchers to keep runs down, and THEIR hitters to catchup!!

If we can start putting up 3 and 4 spots in the first inning again, with some nice bunting, base stealing, key singles and occasional dinger, pitching just MIGHT have a chance to settle down and reverse the pressure.....IMHO of course

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
We need to focus on our box score where we continue game after game to have 3 times as many hits as we do runs (if not worse).

Yes pitching has the issues we've beat to death, but fact is our offense is not jumping all over anybody to put the pressure on THEIR pitchers to keep runs down, and THEIR hitters to catchup!!

If we can start putting up 3 and 4 spots in the first inning again, with some nice bunting, base stealing, key singles and occasional dinger, pitching just MIGHT have a chance to settle down and reverse the pressure.....IMHO of course

Our offense has been there all year long. Offenses go throw periods where it slumps. However our pitching has been crap most of the year. Our team feeds off of starting pitching. How much pressure is on our offense when they see a 5 spot go up in an inning on one of our starters. If our pitching comes around, our offense will be fine.

The pitching needs to man up.

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)

We don't have the personnel to play that way. Our lineup has very little speed, and we don't have a good bunting squad. We haven't score 3 or 4 runs early in the game due to bunting, etc. Our early explosions have been due to Thome, Konerko, or Dye putting a crooked number on the board.

These guys are professionals and went through a dream season last year. They know what it feels like to win it all, and I don't this stretch is much different then the last part of the 2005 season when the Tribe pushed us. The only difference obviously is we were in first place then and in second this year. The Sox have the kind of team that when they quit moping around and start playing like we know they can they can leave the others in the dust. We can still rebound from this slump.