Kenny better be bluffing...

CySox

QUOTE(CySox @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
but he didn't hit 270 either. He hit .290-.300.

Like fields, he strikes out a lot, but he is still putting up a good average, and he gets lots of walks. Like Anderson, he got lots of walks also.

Young's 53 K/41 BB ratio is pretty impressive for him. He just seems to have a much higher ceiling than the other two guys who were our CF prospect before him. Considering our lack of success in developing our offensive home-grown players into good major leaguers, I have no problem trading away our prospects.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
I am almost dreading July 31st, because I have a strong feeling this site is going to be very let down by little to no activity by the Sox. Just a hunch..

God I hope you are wrong, but in all likelyhood you are correct.

Young's 53 K/41 BB ratio is pretty impressive for him. He just seems to have a much higher ceiling than the other two guys who were our CF prospect before him. Considering our lack of success in developing our offensive home-grown players into good major leaguers, I have no problem trading away our prospects.

I just checked his stats also. He really cut down on his strike outs. But, he is batting .260, and only has 8 sb's, caught 4 times. IIRC, he was projected as a potential 40-40 guy. He has good power numbers, but nothing that great for a "top prospect."

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
God I hope you are wrong, but in all likelyhood you are correct.

I'll say this much: If nothing does happen, it won't be because Kenny wasn't out there trying to make it happen. He's argubly the most aggressive, cut-throat GM in baseball. I believe Kenny 100% when he says no AL teams will deal with the White Sox. Why would they? And with the NL being so unbelievably garbage this year, just about every team has a legitimate shot at the playoffs outside of the Cubs, Pirates, Nationals, and Marlins.

QUOTE(CySox @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
I just checked his stats also. He really cut down on his strike outs. But, he is batting .260, and only has 8 sb's, caught 4 times. IIRC, he was projected as a potential 40-40 guy. He has good power numbers, but nothing that great for a "top prospect."

Isn't he coming off of an injury? I remember reading that they were concerned it would take him quite a few months to get things going again. Wasn't Sweeney given a pass for his lack of power last year due to an injury?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
I'll say this much: If nothing does happen, it won't be because Kenny wasn't out there trying to make it happen. He's argubly the most aggressive, cut-throat GM in baseball. I believe Kenny 100% when he says no AL teams will deal with the White Sox. Why would they? And with the NL being so unbelievably garbage this year, just about every team has a legitimate shot at the playoffs outside of the Cubs, Pirates, Nationals, and Marlins.

I don't buy the non-AL factor at all. General Managers know that KW is very aggressive, and he's definitely not afraid to give up top prospects to get someone he wants. It amazes me that after 5 seasons, some people think that KW is honest with everything he says in the media.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
I don't buy the non-AL factor at all. General Managers know that KW is very aggressive, and he's definitely not afraid to give up top prospects to get someone he wants. It amazes me that after 5 seasons, some people think that KW is honest with everything he says in the media.

I didn't say I believed "everything" that comes out of his mouth in regards to trades. But c'mon, let's look at the AL as of right now. You can definitely cross off the Tigers, Twins, Indians, Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, A's, Angels and probably the Rangers off the list of teams that would deal with us. That's leaves the D-rays, O's and KC as the 3 teams that might deal with us from the AL. We know how Tampa is when it comes to dealing their guys. The O's have spiff for pitching outside of Bedard. I'm sure he's not going anywhere. I'm not that familiar with their farm, though. And what would KC have that we would want?

Edit: I forgot the Mariners.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)
I didn't say I believed "everything" that comes out of his mouth in regards to trades. But c'mon, let's look at the AL as of right now. You can definitely cross off the Tigers, Twins, Indians, Yankees Red Sox, Blue Jays, A's, Angels and probably the Rangers off the list of teams that would deal with us. That's leaves the D-rays, O's and KC as the 3 teams that might deal with us from the AL. We know how Tampa is when it comes to dealing their guys. The O's have spiff for pitching outside of Bedard. I'm sure he's not going anywhere. I'm not that familiar with their farm, though. And what would KC have that we would want?

Edit: I forgot the Mariners.

Sorry J4Life...I wasn't making the KW comment directly at you. I think that any team will listen to KW, especially since they see how desperate he might be right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Sorry J4Life...I wasn't making the KW comment directly at you. I think that any team will listen to KW, especially since they see how desperate he might be right now.

Well, if Kenny is willing to severely overpay, I could see something happening with an AL team.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
Ken Rosenthal on Fox reported KW has inquired about Soriano. KW is always willing to give up prospects.Seems KW is about as sick of Pods as most on this board.

What are they asking for? It's just a rental, but then we'd get 2 draft picks next year, correct? (How do they figure the free agent type with a player who's changed positions, anyway?)

In the end, it's about the rotation recovering, though. And anyone who'll be in the rotation is already with the team. So, although I think a couple moves could help, I'm not gonna be heartbroken by what does or doesn't happen at the deadline.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
Ken Rosenthal on Fox reported KW has inquired about Soriano. KW is always willing to give up prospects.Seems KW is about as sick of Pods as most on this board.

I can't see us seriously considering this, I bet Kenny is just seeing what the Kitties are offering, and therefore will make a high bid forcing hte Tigers to overpay if they want him.

EDIT: Than again, hasn't Kenny always liked Soriano? Kenny is one of those GM's that if he likes someone, he'll continuously pursue him until he gets his man. (Vazquez if I remember correctly, the White Sox were fascinated with him after he shut us down at the Cell as a Yankee)

Edited by CWSOX45

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
What are they asking for? It's just a rental, but then we'd get 2 draft picks next year, correct? (How do they figure the free agent type with a player who's changed positions, anyway?)

In the end, it's about the rotation recovering, though. And anyone who'll be in the rotation is already with the team. So, although I think a couple moves could help, I'm not gonna be heartbroken by what does or doesn't happen at the deadline.

Probably a ton. Especially since Soriano has recently said he wouldn't be opposed to signing with the Nationals. The Angels and Tigers are probably the competition, and they both have some pretty decent prospects to make an attractive package to acquire him.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
I can't see us seriously considering this, I bet Kenny is just seeing what the Kitties are offering, and therefore will make a high bid forcing hte Tigers to overpay if they want him.

It would depend on who had to be surrendered. Soriano is a huge upgrade over Pods. Defensively its probably a wash except Soriano can throw, and throw well. Offensively, his obp is a little higher, he only has swiped 4 less bases in 9 less attempts and he's got 30 homers, more than anyone on the Sox not named Thome. He puts these numbers up in Washington.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
If we traded for Soriano, why wouldn't we just sign him? It's not as if we have clear cut long-term answers in LF (or even 2B). Fields, if he stays put, won't be our LF in 2007.

That's the only way I see this deal making sense.

I do think Soriano is an excellent example of what you could expect Fields to look like defensively if he's playing LF for the Sox next year. If a position change is in the works for Fields, its about time they throw him out in LF in Charlotte. Its hard enough being a rookie in MLB. Don't make it harder by having him play a position you try to have him learn in winter ball.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
I seriously considered by a Blum jersey during the offseason. It's amazing how that whole acquisition paid off.

I liked Jim Margalus' take on it in his "Dearly Departed" section on SoxMachine.com:

Talk about not overstaying your welcome.

Geoff Blum made the perfect exit, leaving fans wanting more when he wouldn’t have been able to deliver it.

That’s no knock against Blum, who will forever be known as the guy who hit the game-winning homer in the 14th inning of Game 3 of the World Series.

Let’s relive that moment:

Jermaine Dye started off the inning with a single off Ezequiel Astacio, but Paul Konerko hit a rocket that Morgan Ensberg swiftly turned into a double play. It looked like it’d be another scoreless inning for the Sox when Geoff Blum lined a 2-0 pitch into the right field seats.

He was the second unlikely homer hitter in two games, as Scott Podsednik hit the walk-off shot in Game 2, and even though Blum had two more regular-season homers in comparison to Pods, I felt his was more unlikely.

You see, Blum struggled after coming to the White Sox from San Diego in Kenny Williams’ only midseason trade. With a batting line of .200/.232/.274, he was hitting worse than every other White Sox on the 25-man roster.

Yes, even Timo.

In a key game against Detroit while the Sox were desperately trying to clinch a playoff spot, Blum was brought in to pinch-hit for Chris Widger with the bases loaded and the Sox down by one. Blum promptly tapped back to the pitcher for a 1-2-3 double play, and Chicago ended up losing the game.

Sure, Blum bristled when media reporters referred to him as a “scrub,” but that’s pretty much what he was. When the Sox had to decide on their playoff roster, I didn’t want Blum on it. The only unique ability Blum possessed was his ability to play a good first base – and Ross Gload, who is a much better hitter, could do that as well.

Then, with one fateful at-bat in the World Series, he told all of us critics where to stick it.

Between that homer, his awesome hair, his triplets and his self-deprecating humor, Blum became a fan favorite (and you can see all of those on the World Series DVD). He was the ringleader of Group 4 – the players who were the last priority when it came to batting practice – and the embodiment of what the White Sox did all season long. The Sox may have been short on superstars, but they made up for it with timely hits from everybody on the roster.

But the Sox couldn’t count on Blum to do that every single time – he was a guy who failed to post a .300 OBP in the last three seasons, and before that heroic plate appearance, he hit the ball with less authority than any other Sox. The Sox knew they could upgrade that position for the next 162 games, so they let Blum go back to San Diego and replaced him with Rob Mackowiak.

It’s really the best of both worlds for Blum – he gets to go back to San Diego, where his expanded family set down roots last year. Meanwhile, he closes his Chicago career on the highest of high notes. People may remember that he didn’t hit worth anything before Game 3 of the World Series, but nobody will care.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
I wonder if the Nationals would have any interest in bringing back Vazquez to their org? We probably can't compete with the Tigers' package of prospects and Vazquez makes as much sense as anybody from the major league club.

They're looking to unload payroll, not bring in an overpriced starting pitcher.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
Are they looking to unload payroll or get as much as they can for guys who will be free agents and have no plans to re-sign? There's a difference there.

Yes, but why be on the hook for Vazquez's contract for the next few years? Instead, they could find a lot better ways to spend that money.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
I just have a feeling not much is out there unless you give up some serious talent, and Kenny is basically going to tell the troops, "I built a champion, now start acting like it."

Well-said. :cheers

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
They're looking to unload payroll, not bring in an overpriced starting pitcher.

I'm curious to see how long it takes people to realize that teams that are selling don't want Vazquez or his salary. It's been awhile, and it seems like people still don't understand that.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
Yes, but why be on the hook for Vazquez's contract for the next few years? Instead, they could find a lot better ways to spend that money.

It's actually one year and he would instantly be their best starter. A $12M commitment to Vazquez would probably interest the Nats more than going out and giving pitchers long term contracts in next year's free agency. They should have some money to spend as well with Soriano, Brian Lawrence, Jose Guillen, and Ramon Ortiz all coming off the books (if they dump Livan, they could trim about $30 M).

I don't have any illusions about Vazquez being the Nats #1 target. It would probably be Fields + Broadway/Lumsden, but if coupled with those players, Vazquez could swing the deal in our favor especially if Detroit is offering only prospects. I'm not a Vazquez fan at all, but I don't think we're at a point where he has negative trade value.

Edited by Frankensteiner