2 positives out of this game...

CySox

1. Freddy Garcia pitched really well. (I personally think he got lucky most of the game with great D behind him. I think he was throwing way too much breaking stuff, and I am surprised the Rangers didn't adjust.)

2. Freddy Garcia's trade value is as high as it is going to get right now. (could get Duaner Sanchez and a top prospect, pretty tempting!)

- Big Jon, don't let this... :sweep: ...happen!

Edited by CySox

Unfortunately, it's too late in the season to be picking positives out of a game. Winning is the only thing that matters, and we stink at that right now.

yeah, pretty much, but for some reason, I'm not pissed.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:55 AM)
The Sox are a Tom Gordon away from winning the Central. I promise you.

Can Gordon hit line drives and deliver with RISP?

QUOTE(CySox @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:19 AM)
2. Freddy Garcia's trade value is as high as it is going to get right now. (could get Duaner Sanchez and a top prospect, pretty tempting!)

Mets already turned down Garcia for Sanchez. Also, they've gotten good starts from their lower guys like Maine and Duque this week.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 01:56 AM)
Can Gordon hit line drives and deliver with RISP?

It's been a one week spell with the offense, it's been a whole season worth of suckage by the pitching staff. The offense is good enough to get us into the playoffs and win it all, the pitching at the moment is not.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:57 AM)
It's been a one week spell with the offense, it's been a whole season worth of suckage by the pitching staff. The offense is good enough to get us into the playoffs and win it all, the pitching at the moment is not.

Yes, but can we really expect the offense to play at the same level they were in the 1st half, where 6 of our 9 guys hit pretty damn well for a couple of months? Also, we're going to need all the offense we can get when we have to face guys like Liriano and Santana numerous times in the next few months.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 02:01 AM)
Yes, but can we really expect the offense to play at the same level they were in the 1st half, where 6 of our 9 guys hit pretty damn well for a couple of months? Also, we're going to need all the offense we can get when we have to face guys like Liriano and Santana numerous times in the next few months.

No, more than likely the offense is not going to be as good as they were in the first half. That being said, it's still a much better offense than last year and we can definitely win it all with that offense being put on the field every day. The problem is, the offense won't mean a damn thing if the starting pitching doesn't get it turned around. If our starting pitching stays this inconsistant then even if we were to get into the playoffs we'd be one and done, even if we were to add a Soriano or a Tejada.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 07:05 AM)
No, more than likely the offense is not going to be as good as they were in the first half. That being said, it's still a much better offense than last year and we can definitely win it all with that offense being put on the field every day. The problem is, the offense won't mean a damn thing if the starting pitching doesn't get it turned around. If our starting pitching stays this inconsistant then even if we were to get into the playoffs we'd be one and done, even if we were to add a Soriano or a Tejada.

Good stuff. I agree we need the pitching to step up, but there's no one to trade for that will upgrade our starting rotation. Thus, the next best alternative to beefing up your pitching is to add to your offense. Even if we don't add a superstar, it would be great to add a back-up catcher and a righty outfielder who can play LF!

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 02:06 AM)
Good stuff. I agree we need the pitching to step up, but there's no one to trade for that will upgrade our starting rotation. Thus, the next best alternative to beefing up your pitching is to add to your offense. Even if we don't add a superstar, it would be great to add a back-up catcher and a righty outfielder who can play LF!

I understand what you're saying but I just don't think it'd help a lot to add a big bat unless the pitching turns around(and yes I know that I'm repeating myself). That's just a difference in opinion though so no big deal. Adding a back up catcher or a right handed hitting back up outfielder certainly wouldn't hurt though.

Edited by Rowand44

Mets already turned down Garcia for Sanchez. Also, they've gotten good starts from their lower guys like Maine and Duque this week.

Yeah, they turned that down when Garcia was gave up 5+ runs a game. Garcia has "turned it around" (I dont think he has, he got lucky, IMO. Kenny can convince the mets that :D ).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)

Let me put it this way...I would love to run into the Mets in the world series if the Mets Rotation is composed of Pedro, Glavine, Maine, El Duque, Pelfrey, and whoever else they have filling in when folks get hurt.