Widger Reaction

Mr. Showtime

Little blurb from the AP:

The White Sox designated backup C Chris Widger for assignment after Sunday's game -- a move that surprised the veteran. Although he was batting just .184, Widger said he was told the main reason for the move was a lack of game preparation. "I thought this was home," he said. "I thought I did a good job for these guys. It's the first time I've ever been released (for reasons) I don't get." Widger has a .239 average and 55 homers in 11 seasons with Seattle, Montreal, the New York Yankees, St. Louis and Chicago. ...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
That tells me the staff wasn't very happy with the pre game work he did with the pitchers prior to starts, if not more.

This sure wasn't the case last year. Everybody raved about his pre-game preparation last year. I guess a lot can change in a year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
Lack of game preparation is quite a strong statement by the Sox.

wow, that is a strong statement. yes, hes been brutale, but stilll. u would think they would just say it was time to move on, or things werent working out well. but hey, numbers dont lie...

yea, its true, alomar is back, no rumor..

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
This sure wasn't the case last year. Everybody raved about his pre-game preparation last year. I guess a lot can change in a year.

Widge always seemed like a solid guy. I always thought this move was double edged. One we get a guy that hits LHP better than Widge and two the move shakes the roster up just a bit by adding in a well respected veteran (at the same time we are getting rid of a vet).

I understand the move, of course. But that reasoning surprises me. Perhaps that explains why his CERA was so low last year, and so high this year. It would explain that particular trend.

If he was indeed doing tons of extra work last year pre-game, and wasn't doing enough this year, then one has to ask... what would make that change? I almost wonder if there is something personal going on for Chris.

But then, this is one of those things where we will likely never know the details. Either way, good luck Widge in your future endeavors.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
I understand the move, of course. But that reasoning surprises me. Perhaps that explains why his CERA was so low last year, and so high this year. It would explain that particular trend.

If he was indeed doing tons of extra work last year pre-game, and wasn't doing enough this year, then one has to ask... what would make that change? I almost wonder if there is something personal going on for Chris.

But then, this is one of those things where we will likely never know the details. Either way, good luck Widge in your future endeavors.

Yeah, I don't buy that explanation at all. Then again, I guess they wouldn't want to come out and just say he stinks. Which has been the case most of the year.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)

Actually, the Sox were quite livid at Widger's pitch selection several times last year. Especially with Jenks on the mound. He's never been known for his defense or his game-calling, and when it gets to the point where he can't hit anymore, he's pretty worthless. Last year he had been out of the game, so he may have appreciated it more. I think veterans that become back-ups tend to take shortcuts preparing to play. This may have happened to Widger, but either way, he really is most likely at the end of the road.

Not the right thread, but Beltre just hit an inside the parker against the Red Sox to take the lead in the bottom of the 8th.

In terms of work ethic, Widge may have just felt real comfortable this year, while last year he was new to the team and trying to prove that he still could play at the major league level so he worked doubly as hard.

And you never know, something else could have been going on in Widge's personal life, but I can't speculate on that. Either way I wish him the best.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:07 PM)
Actually, the Sox were quite livid at Widger's pitch selection several times last year. Especially with Jenks on the mound. He's never been known for his defense or his game-calling, and when it gets to the point where he can't hit anymore, he's pretty worthless. Last year he had been out of the game, so he may have appreciated it more. I think veterans that become back-ups tend to take shortcuts preparing to play. This may have happened to Widger, but either way, he really is most likely at the end of the road.

Pitch selection isn't the same as calling out somebody's game preparation.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
Pitch selection isn't the same as calling out somebody's game preparation.

I haven't followed Widger's career, but he must have been a decent catcher throughout his career, how else would you stick around the bigs for 11 years despite hitting .222??

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
I haven't followed Widger's career, but he must have been a decent catcher throughout his career, how else would you stick around the bigs for 11 years despite hitting .222??

At one time, he was a very highly thought of prospect. That he could hit a little bit, with some power, he did have a couple of fairly solid seasons with the Expos, and being a catcher gets you a long career, sort of like a very mediocre left handed reliever. They last forever.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
Not the right thread, but Beltre just hit an inside the parker against the Red Sox to take the lead in the bottom of the 8th.

In terms of work ethic, Widge may have just felt real comfortable this year, while last year he was new to the team and trying to prove that he still could play at the major league level so he worked doubly as hard.

And you never know, something else could have been going on in Widge's personal life, but I can't speculate on that. Either way I wish him the best.

I was watching the supposedly inside the park homerun. Coco Crisp scales the wall to attempt a catch and the balls hits the wall 4 ft behind him . Manny Ramires attempts to barehad the ball off the wall and it bounces off his hand back to Crisp about 10 ft away. Crisp misses both cutoff men and Beltre beats the throw home. I cant believe Manny didnt get an error.