Widger Reaction

Mr. Showtime

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CySox @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
I think Kenny and the White Sox are just using Widger as their scapegoat for their recent struggles.

Puh-lease. Yeah...that's been the problem. Hey...he calls a crap game and he han't produced at the plate. And yes...you can call calling a crappy game lack of preparation. Good move by KW IMO.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...sp&c_id=cws[/url]

Widger would have understood the decision a little more clearly if it was based on his hitting, or lack thereof, as he carried a .184 average into Sunday and was hitless in his last 24 at-bats. It also could have been a decision based on Widger's handling of the pitchers, with the men on the mound having a 5.36 ERA during the 22 games he played. Widger was just 3-for-20 in throwing out would-be base stealers, although not all of that lack of success was his fault.

But in the end, Widger claimed those reasons were not used for the move. Instead, Widger was told that it was about his game preparation.

"If you want to tell me I'm a bad ballplayer, not good enough for your team, you aren't producing enough, I could take it," an emotional Widger said after being informed of the roster move. "But to tell me that I'm not trying, it's tough.

"I come in here after a game and all of a sudden I'm lazy? I just don't get it. Nothing was said about it before today."

When Williams told Widger of the reason questioned by the catcher, he also told Widger to talk to both pitching coach Don Cooper and hitting coach Greg Walker. Widger told the media that Cooper's lone complaint was that he was tough to find for a meeting or two they have at the beginning of each series, while Walker's problem, again according to Widger, was that he followed a different philosophy in preparing offensively for each game.

Widger admitted that he didn't take pregame flips in the cage, instead choosing to hit off a tee when everyone had cleared out. Widger said that he had heard a few comments along the way about not taking flips, but he also said that his approach was no different than last season, when he hit .241 with four home runs and 11 RBIs in 141 at-bats.

"Last year was good and this year, it's not," Widger said. "That's what happens when there's a difference between being 10 games up and being in second place. When you are not in first place, all those little things aren't overlooked anymore."

"That's baseball and a bad part about it, the down part of the business," added White Sox starting catcher A.J. Pierzynski, who worked as close with Widger as any other player on the roster. "I thought he had done a good job the last couple of years, but obviously some people didn't."

While it might sound as if Widger departed with a fair share of animosity, the classy 35-year-old catcher had nothing but good wishes for the organization. He gave Williams and the team credit for giving him a chance in 2005, when he was a non-roster invitee to Spring Training, coming off being away from organized baseball for a year. During that 2004 respite, Widger played in a men's softball league in New Jersey and for an unaffiliated Atlantic League team known as the Camden Riversharks.

One year later, Widger had a World Series ring and thought he had found the place he would play out his career.

"Emotionally, you get attached to some guys because you are with them day in and day out," said Jon Garland, Sunday's winning pitcher, of Widger. "They become your brother, your family. To see someone like him go, it's a big loss in the clubhouse. He's a great person. He can talk to anyone about anything, and he helps a lot of people out in different ways."

"I played with the best group of guys I ever played with, probably the best clubhouse I've ever been a part of," Widger added. "I wish them the best of luck. I love these guys. They gave me a chance to come back and win a World Series ring."

Widger's move, along with reliever Cliff Politte being designated for assignment last weekend in New York, removed two popular forces from the White Sox drive to repeat in 2006. It also sent a message, of sorts, that the White Sox are not taking lightly this recent 3-9 stretch and 2-7 record since the All-Star break.

Last year's championship was one of the most memorable experiences in Chicago sports history. Williams will be adjusting things this week to make sure the title wasn't a once-in-a-lifetime sort of celebration.

"In terms of the particulars about it, I really don't think it's fair to Chris, who helped us win a World Series, to get into it," Williams said. "As much as there's a part of me that wants to hold on to [last year], it's time to let it go -- particularly with what has transpired the last week. It's time to upgrade wherever we can."

This upgrade concept is not foreign to Widger. His only complaint is about the explanation behind the decision.

"Right now, I'm not sure what else to say," Widger said. "I go out there to play hard every day, and I didn't see it coming. It caught me by surprise."

Edited by robinventura23

I was about to post that. This part is so sad to me:

"If you want to tell me I'm a bad ballplayer, not good enough for your team, you aren't producing enough, I could take it," an emotional Widger said after being informed of the roster move. "But to tell me that I'm not trying, it's tough.

"I come in here after a game and all of a sudden I'm lazy? I just don't get it. Nothing was said about it before today."

When Williams told Widger of the reason questioned by the catcher, he also told Widger to talk to both pitching coach Don Cooper and hitting coach Greg Walker. Widger told the media that Cooper's lone complaint was that he was tough to find for a meeting or two they have at the beginning of each series, while Walker's problem, again according to Widger, was that he followed a different philosophy in preparing offensively for each game.

Widger admitted that he didn't take pregame flips in the cage, instead choosing to hit off a tee when everyone had cleared out. Widger said that he had heard a few comments along the way about not taking flips, but he also said that his approach was no different than last season, when he hit .241 with four home runs and 11 RBIs in 141 at-bats.

"Last year was good and this year, it's not," Widger said. "That's what happens when there's a difference between being 10 games up and being in second place. When you are not in first place, all those little things aren't overlooked anymore."

Oh Widger! I hope everything works out for him.

The bolded part is what I was talking about earlier. If you don't think a guy is good, and you wanna upgrade, fine. But to make it out like the dude was lazy and didn't care? I don't agree with that at all.

An even stronger statement from KW:

"Our coaching staff has been after me for the last month to acquire Sandy Alomar," general manager Ken Williams said. "So it is my responsibility as general manager to add pieces to the puzzle that my coaches feel they need to win another championship."

Plus...

"This was a specific request, and I followed suit and made the acquisition," Williams said. "The coaches thought at this juncture of the season, with Sandy's experience, especially with certain members of our staff, combined with his ability to give us quality at-bats against tough left-handers and move runners and put bunts down, it was a definite upgrade.

"We think Sandy has done a great job of keeping himself in shape, and he's not going to have to play regularly. Sandy has been after me for two years to bring him back. I don't have to ask him how he feels about it."

Edited by The Ginger Kid

I don't like what the team did in regards to his departure. KW and co don't like calling people out, but in this instance they did. Something must have happened because KW does not show up his players not named Frank. I feel really bad for Widge because even though he has been terrible, its sad. I don't know what really happened, but for them to call him lazy thats terrible. Good luck Widger.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
Oh give me a break. When you were released from St. Louis you said it was because of Duncan's kid.

I was going to mention the same thing.

Widger definitely cried about nepotism when the Birds dropped him.

He made the most of his opportunity last year and got a nice shiny ring in the process, but he didn't play well enough to stick around this year. It's too bad, but that's baseball.

Thank GOD this was finally done..

Widger will get no sympathy from me.. he was bad last year and even worse this year, and was easily a major weakness on this team wasting a roster spot.

Ill gladly welcome Sandy Alomar back, but hopefully we arent done improving this team

Widger's main job was to spell AJ for tough LHPs and he did not do that. His bat in the lineup was an automatic out. Alomar is a huge upgrade in that department:

Alomar vs LHP (Lifetime - .285, 2006 - .500, 2005 - .385)

Widger vs LHP (2006 - .149, 2005 - .237)

KW is slowly getting these pieces in place. Riske and Alomar in, Politte and Widger out.

QUOTE(CySox @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
I think Kenny and the White Sox are just using Widger as their scapegoat for their recent struggles.

I agree totally with this statement. I think Kenny and company are trying to send a message to some people in the clubhouse to not get too comfortable. It was also interesting to hear Kenny on the airwaves this weekend, talking about how they were trying to get a deal done, after only a week or two ago talking about how the market was overpriced and he didn't think they would be doing anything, and besides everyone on his team was better than the guys on the market anyways... Funny how things change.

Besides Widger is released, so that has to mean another WS is in the bag now!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 07:35 AM)
I agree totally with this statement. I think Kenny and company are trying to send a message to some people in the clubhouse to not get too comfortable. It was also interesting to hear Kenny on the airwaves this weekend, talking about how they were trying to get a deal done, after only a week or two ago talking about how the market was overpriced and he didn't think they would be doing anything, and besides everyone on his team was better than the guys on the market anyways... Funny how things change.

Besides Widger is released, so that has to mean another WS is in the bag now!

Agree.

And while I agree if they wanted him gone, he should be gone, but for pete's sake... have some class about it. Cliff - who was stinking it up way worse didn't get crapped on despite being obviously worse than Widger.

Seems like the Sox forgot how to act like grown ups in the media this weekend. Perhaps they should all shut up, close the clubhouse doors, and fix whatever is wrong.

I guess it's just the way things go.

I respect the job Widge did on this team last season, hitting lefties well, having a good CERA, and just providing a good clubhouse influence. He was certainly an upgrade over the likes of Ben Davis who we have seen before.

But this season he just didn't get the job done. And with Politte and Widge gone now, 2 veterans, hopefully it is sending a message to the other 25 guys, it doesn't matter what your standing or reputation maybe, you have to perform, period.

I'm just going to kind of echo the statements of other people here, but I think this situation was handled very poorly. At first, I couldn't believe that Widger didn't KNOW why he was being released. Then I read some more into it, and they're going to straight up call the guy lazy? That's not right. Tell him you're just not getting the job done. In other words, you suck. As a former athlete (and I'm sure there are many former atheltes on this board), I'd rather have a coach tell me I suck than tell me I'm not trying hard enough. Because, quite frankly, that was the case in my athletic career. It wasn't for a lack of effort, that's for sure. :P It would be different if Widger really wasn't doing anything before games besides drinking gatorade and seeing how far he can spit seeds, but I HIGHLY doubt that was the case.

With that said, welcome back Sandy. Good luck Widger, I just hope we won't be seeing your WS ring on eBay in 20 years. :cheers

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't like what the team did in regards to his departure. KW and co don't like calling people out, but in this instance they did. Something must have happened because KW does not show up his players not named Frank. I feel really bad for Widge because even though he has been terrible, its sad. I don't know what really happened, but for them to call him lazy thats terrible. Good luck Widger.

When did KW and Co. call him out? They told this to him behind closed doors. A reporter asked Widger if he knew why he was being released/designated for assignment. Widger then told the press that he was told by the general manager that it was due to his lack of game preparation. Widger took the information and went to the press with it. He didn't have to do that, but he did.

It is f***ed up that you are going to blame the White Sox organization for something that they didn't even do. That was a moronic statement. Next time get all the facts straight before pointing the finger.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just going to kind of echo the statements of other people here, but I think this situation was handled very poorly. At first, I couldn't believe that Widger didn't KNOW why he was being released. Then I read some more into it, and they're going to straight up call the guy lazy? That's not right. Tell him you're just not getting the job done. In other words, you suck. As a former athlete (and I'm sure there are many former atheltes on this board), I'd rather have a coach tell me I suck than tell me I'm not trying hard enough. Because, quite frankly, that was the case in my athletic career. It wasn't for a lack of effort, that's for sure. :P It would be different if Widger really wasn't doing anything before games besides drinking gatorade and seeing how far he can spit seeds, but I HIGHLY doubt that was the case.

With that said, welcome back Sandy. Good luck Widger, I just hope we won't be seeing your WS ring on eBay in 20 years. :cheers

So you want your GM and coaches to lie? That is kind of silly. Let me protect the guys ego and confidence and lie to him as to why he is being released. That is a bunch of BS.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree.

And while I agree if they wanted him gone, he should be gone, but for pete's sake... have some class about it. Cliff - who was stinking it up way worse didn't get crapped on despite being obviously worse than Widger.

Seems like the Sox forgot how to act like grown ups in the media this weekend. Perhaps they should all shut up, close the clubhouse doors, and fix whatever is wrong.

When did the Sox go to the media with this info? Widger is the one that brought this information to the media. He is the one that told the media why he was released, not the White Sox. Why are they getting crapped on?

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
When did the Sox go to the media with this info? Widger is the one that brought this information to the media. He is the one that told the media why he was released, not the White Sox. Why are they getting crapped on?

Please show me where did I say the Sox went to the media with this information...

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
Please show me where did I say the Sox went to the media with this information...

Sure seems there like you're saying that the team did something inappropriate in coming out from behind the closed doors to me. Was that post directed at some other incident that came forwards that I didn't hear about? Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
Sure seems there like you're saying that the team did something inappropriate in coming out from behind the closed doors to me. Was that post directed at some other incident that came forwards that I didn't hear about?

The second comment was in regards to Garland. I copied it over from the closed thread...? Can they not be copied because they are in a locked thread?

And no, I didn't say the Sox came out from closed doors with the Wider info. I said have some class about it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but for pete's sake... have some class about it. Cliff - who was stinking it up way worse didn't get crapped on despite being obviously worse than Widger. Seems like the Sox forgot how to act like grown ups in the media this weekend.

Does this or does this not pertain to the Widger stuff? If it does not, then why is it there? It leads one to assume that you are continuing to write about the same situation or topic. Yet, you would be talking about something else, perhaps the Padilla situation? OK, but what makes it belong here? How does it all tie in? Unless of course you are talking about the Wider situation. If not, then how did the White Sox show a lack of class in the Widger situation, but did so with the Politte situation? How did Wideger get crapped on? I will now hang up and wait for my answers.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure seems there like you're saying that the team did something inappropriate in coming out from behind the closed doors to me. Was that post directed at some other incident that came forwards that I didn't hear about?

agreed.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The second comment was in regards to Garland. I copied it over from the closed thread...? Can they not be copied because they are in a locked thread?

And no, I didn't say the Sox came out from closed doors with the Wider info. I said have some class about it.

Uhhh Ummm, how did the White Sox not show class about this? Did you want them to lie to him?

How bad it was for the Sox to tell Widger what they did depends entirely on whether or not it was true. if it was, and his prep and schedule wasn't acceptable, then they did the right thing. If it was actually his play that was the reason, and they chose to spin it otherwise to send a message to the club... then that was just crappy.

And here is the thing - we have no idea which is the case. Without that information, its hard to judge.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they did.

Really? How do you know? Please tell. Why would the make up that excuse? It just doesn't add up. It is much easier to tell someone that they have to be let go because of under performing instead of singling out one particular thing, especially being under prepared.