Widger Reaction

Mr. Showtime

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
How bad it was for the Sox to tell Widger what they did depends entirely on whether or not it was true. if it was, and his prep and schedule wasn't acceptable, then they did the right thing. If it was actually his play that was the reason, and they chose to spin it otherwise to send a message to the club... then that was just crappy.

And here is the thing - we have no idea which is the case. Without that information, its hard to judge.

^^.

Thanks NSS72.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How bad it was for the Sox to tell Widger what they did depends entirely on whether or not it was true. if it was, and his prep and schedule wasn't acceptable, then they did the right thing. If it was actually his play that was the reason, and they chose to spin it otherwise to send a message to the club... then that was just crappy.

And here is the thing - we have no idea which is the case. Without that information, its hard to judge.

Why say that if it is not true? I don't know why they would spin it that way. What is the purpose of doing that? How does it send a better message to the club? The entire team can see if he is preparing or not. If he is prepared and ready and the team can see and know this, yet he is being called out by the GM and coaches for not being prepared and for being lazy, what kind of message does that send to the team? I think it sends a very poor message. It just doesn't make any sense for it to be spun that way to send a message to the team. If anything, it sends a terrible message and could turn the team against the coaches and staff.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^^.

Thanks NSS72.

However, there is no information to state that they did this. Yet, you are

pretty sure that's exactly what they did.
Please, let us hear your information and why you think this is the case. Because it sure doesn't seem to be the case to me.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have mixed feelings about this whole situation. The organization wasn't the one to spill the beans about the reasons for Widger's departure: that was on him. But I find it odd that they tell Chris this, and later KW says how the coaches have been begging him to get Sandy Alomar back, and lo and behold, here he is. A little too coincidental in my book. They should've just told Widger "we're going in another direction. Thanks for what you have done the last two years." Instead, they basically tell him his work ethic sucked. It just all seems a little fishy and underhanded to me.

Edited by spawn

QUOTE(spawn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have mixed feelings about this whole situation. The organization wasn't the one to spill the beans about the reasons for Widger's departure: that was on him. But I find it odd that they tell Chris this, and later KW says how the coaches have been begging him to get Sandy Alomar back, and lo and behold, here he is. A little too coincidental in my book. They should've just told Widger "we're going in another direction. Thanks for what you have done the last two years." Instead, they basically tell him his work ethic sucked. It just all seems a little fishy and underhanded to me.

Welcome. Nice analysis. ;)

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
Please, let us hear your information and why you think this is the case. Because it sure doesn't seem to be the case to me.

I'm going to pass on doing that and just leave it as my opinion on the matter. Kay? Thanks.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
Why say that if it is not true? I don't know why they would spin it that way. What is the purpose of doing that? How does it send a better message to the club? The entire team can see if he is preparing or not. If he is prepared and ready and the team can see and know this, yet he is being called out by the GM and coaches for not being prepared and for being lazy, what kind of message does that send to the team? I think it sends a very poor message. It just doesn't make any sense for it to be spun that way to send a message to the team. If anything, it sends a terrible message and could turn the team against the coaches and staff.

However, there is no information to state that they did this. Yet, you are

I have no idea why they'd do that. Maybe they didn't want to admit it was really about going and getting Alomar. Or maybe they were trying to tell the team to not get too comfortable. I have no idea, and neither do any of us.

I can't comment on Widger's game preparation (or lack thereof), but I do know that Sandy has always done a pretty good job of calling games. He can't hit anymore, but it's not like Widger was tearing the cover off of the ball either.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
I can't comment on Widger's game preparation (or lack thereof), but I do know that Sandy has always done a pretty good job of calling games. He can't hit anymore, but it's not like Widger was tearing the cover off of the ball either.

If Alomar could even get a bunt down, that'd be an improvement.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)

Or run and can barely walk.

Here's the way I see this. First, Widger wasn't producing offensively or behind the plate. Apparently, there has been talk around the clubhouse about him not taking "flips" in batting practice. Yet, he's been on an 0-24 skid. Widger said he'd prepared the same way last year, and now it wasn't good enough. Well, Chris, I'm sorry but the results haven't been as good as last year. Widger, apperently, was unwilling to try something different to change the results.

Now, add in the fact that the Sox coaches have him telling KW to get Alomar back for a month and you have an established pattern of a player not producing, not listening to coaches and the coaches wanting an upgrade. They told Widger to his face why they were releasing him and didn't go the media with. Widger did that himself.

Basically, Widger got fired for not doing his job then whined to press about.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
Well, with the acquisition of Sandy, we'll have Rock coaching first base next year and Sandy on the bench.

Remember that Baines signed an extension and IIRC Rock is the lone coach on the staff that hasn't signed an extension.

Remember that Baines signed an extension and IIRC Rock is the lone coach on the staff that hasn't signed an extension.

Yes, and with Raines' status apparantly uncertain and the White Sox respect for Alomar, it leads me to believe he'll be the bench coach next year.

The story of how he was playing softball when the Sox called him to play. He may have not been the most solid of hitters but he did manage well. Like Rowand, Widger became a fan fravorite to me at least because of how he was found and stuff. At SoxFest he was very nice when signing autographs and just was a great guy. Widger will be missed :gosox1:

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
Yes, and with Raines' status apparantly uncertain and the White Sox respect for Alomar, it leads me to believe he'll be the bench coach next year.

Thats exactly what I think will happen. My guess is Raines isn't exactly happy being an assistant coach. I dont' know if he just wants out of coaching in general (and thats why the club didn't offer him an extension) or if he's told the Sox he plans on going elsewhere at the end of the season. I can't think its because the club doesn't like him, if that was the case they would have gotten rid of him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
Thats exactly what I think will happen. My guess is Raines isn't exactly happy being an assistant coach. I dont' know if he just wants out of coaching in general (and thats why the club didn't offer him an extension) or if he's told the Sox he plans on going elsewhere at the end of the season. I can't think its because the club doesn't like him, if that was the case they would have gotten rid of him.

I think he wants to retire. Watch his kid play. And enjoy his grandkid. I know if I wore his shoes that's what I'd want.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:21 AM)
Or run and can barely walk.

I'll take a half season of Sandy and his bad knees over Widger, who does an inferior job of calling games and wasn't a long-term prospect anyway.

I think Widger was hurt and upset and that's why he went public with it.

The only thing is, if he had not been "preparing" whatever that means, would they not have confronted him long ago about this? I doubt they'd just let it continue and then just suddenly fire him.

That said, having Alomar might be a nice spark in that he's a familiar face, a veteran and, well, technically... new.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
The only thing is, if he had not been "preparing" whatever that means, would they not have confronted him long ago about this? I doubt they'd just let it continue and then just suddenly fire him.

Who are we to say that no one did?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
His comments seem to suggest that this is the first time he's heard of it, dontcha think?

Yet, there had been clubhouse rumblings about him not taking 'flips' in batting practice. Maybe Widger just wasn't listening.

Could be. Pardon my ignorance, but what are "flips"?

Don't get me wrong; I won't miss Widger. It just seemed like he was offed in a very public way, compared to Politte, who was quietly let go.

Or maybe it's just the timing; who knows?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
Could be. Pardon my ignorance, but what are "flips"?

Don't get me wrong; I won't miss Widger. It just seemed like he was offed in a very public way, compared to Politte, who was quietly let go.

Or maybe it's just the timing; who knows?

That's where a coach is kneeling or squating by the batter and flips the ball up to him and the batter basically hits it into a fence a few feet away.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:42 PM)
That's where a coach is kneeling or squating by the batter and flips the ball up to him and the batter basically hits it into a fence a few feet away.

Flips are a great drill. Its something that a lot of coaches should still be having their kids go through. A flip drill can help a hitter pulling off of a ball, or not following it practice keeping their head down. Also if the coach moves back a bit to almost behind them, the flip then works on late movement and keeping back on the ball to drive it to center and right. Batting cages are used by a lot of coaches in lieu of flips, but flips still help with fundamentals the most. Its all about watching the bat hit the ball in the flip drill.

Couple thoughts...maybe Sox handled this as quietly as Pollite, but Cliff didn't speak out, Widger did.

Who's to say Sox haven't mentioned his prep to him? Widger is the one who says they didn't.

Phil Rogers says MB will benefit from Alomar's return. I forgot about their relationship. Hey, he can't hurt.

Edited by Colorado Sox Fan