Detroit Tigers World Series Thread

Heads22

If that's the case honestly I say yes. I mean till this year, they hadn't been in the playoffs since 87, and finished below .500 every year since 93. So if we get in the playoffs, and fall short of anything else, that's ok. At least we actually got there for once.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We shall see. I hope you guys are around in October, win or lose, so I can ask that question again.

Yes, the Sox contend year in and year out, but we rarely make the playoffs. Even with the magical regular season we had, I think I would've been extrememly disappointed with anything less in October.

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
If that's the case honestly I say yes. I mean till this year, they hadn't been in the playoffs since 87, and finished below .500 every year since 93. So if we get in the playoffs, and fall short of anything else, that's ok. At least we actually got there for once.

That's like saying, we'll take a really crappy draft pick just cause. I'm a Colts fan too. It's a letdown to no end.

Yeah I think it kinda depends how your season goes. When you have a magical season like we did last year or Detroit is this year, it kinda feels like you almost have to win it all or at least win the pennant because everything has gone your way, and it's difficult to have a season go that well again, no matter how good you are.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
after yesterday and tonight I am convinced of two things

1. the indians just aren't trying anymore

2. the tigers will never lose again

Despite the fact that they are going to win 100 games and the Central, the Tigers to me seem like a team that is going to be beaten in the playoffs. Their pitching, as great as it's been, IMO isn't good enough to overcome their lack of offense once we get to playoff time. If they make it to the World Series, I'd be completely shocked.

Pudge please go do some more steroids. Are the Tigers still claiming to be a real team? No real team wins from behind at will. The question is how many Tiger fans had to sell their souls for this season to happen?

About the same amount of CWS fans last year.....dude, get real with your posts.....Tigers not a real team? You need to go post on the thread with the Twins and BoSox because they're the ones you have to worry about right now......No real team wins from behind?! How many late inning, come from behind victories did you have earlier this year?! Learn to control your anger and frustration......you don't type coherently when you don't....... :crying

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
About the same amount of CWS fans last year.....dude, get real with your posts.....Tigers not a real team? You need to go post on the thread with the Twins and BoSox because they're the ones you have to worry about right now......No real team wins from behind?! How many late inning, come from behind victories did you have earlier this year?! Learn to control your anger and frustration......you don't type coherently when you don't....... :crying

You need to learn how to read posts more closely.

It's known as sarcasm. It's unreal that the Tigers keep doing this.

Yes, he held his hands in the air. He was not running around the whole time screaming and waving his arms.

His celebration tonight was over the top, similar to when he has a damn orgasm after beating a ball at 1st late in a game.

What is it with baseball snobs...so f-ing what if he ran around the bases screaming and waving his arms....it was a 2 out, 2 run, bottom of the 9th walk off homerun from a very emotional leader........I think baseball NEEDS more emotion in it....this "You can't pump your fist and look into my dugout" or "Don't stand and watch your homerun after you hit it" or "Don't yell and scream and show emotion" baseball is boring and outdated...I love it when there's emotion and personality injected into the game......if you don't like it, then turn it off and watch your catcher slap homeplate after running over the catcher, or your closer pump his fist and yell after a big strikeout in a save situation....cause that's okay for the game, right?!

Oh puhlease. My real team statement wasn't an insult. It's hard to deny that they've been surreal this year. I'm still worrying about the Tigers because 8 games isn't as massive as it sounds. The Tigers just need a bad 2 week stretch and it's close. The Tigers have come from behind, in the 9th no less, a ton of times. Talk as much crap as you want, I don't care. The White Sox got a World Series, I didn't expect to win it this year. I just wanted a playoff spot. The Tigers are better than best case scenario right now, they are an anomaly in just about every way. Every single one of their rookies has been amazing. The difference from what this team should have been (according to expectations) and what they are is their rookies. Verlander, Minor, Zumaya, and Granderson are all pitching like they are in their primes. That is absolutely unheard of.

It's known as sarcasm. It's unreal that the Tigers keep doing this.

Tigers fans keep doing this because we find it funny how last your season was magical. Your season was special. Your season was dominating. Your pitching was out of the world. But OUR season is an anomoly. Sorry, can't have it both way.....I know sarcasm. This was whining.

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
Tigers fans keep doing this because we find it funny how last your season was magical. Your season was special. Your season was dominating. Your pitching was out of the world. But OUR season is an anomoly. Sorry, can't have it both way.....I know sarcasm. This was whining.

I never said anything about Tiger fans.

Oh puhlease. My real team statement wasn't an insult. It's hard to deny that they've been surreal this year. I'm still worrying about the Tigers because 8 games isn't as massive as it sounds. The Tigers just need a bad 2 week stretch and it's close. The Tigers have come from behind, in the 9th no less, a ton of times. Talk as much crap as you want, I don't care. The White Sox got a World Series, I didn't expect to win it this year. I just wanted a playoff spot. The Tigers are better than best case scenario right now, they are an anomaly in just about every way. Every single one of their rookies has been amazing. The difference from what this team should have been (according to expectations) and what they are is their rookies. Verlander, Minor, Zumaya, and Granderson are all pitching like they are in their primes. That is absolutely unheard of.

I didn't take your original post as an insult. I took it as you whining because you're not making up any ground even though you've have a great stretch over the last week or so (go ask Minn how that feels, you can share their pain)

Don't give me this crap about how we've come back in late innings this year...you've done the same damn thing countless times as well with your big bats.......better than the best case scenario?! What the hell does that mean? They have been insanely consistent this entire year. 36-18 over the first 1/3 of the season and 36-18 over the 2/3 of the season. They have a great mix of young players and veterans......when one guy starts to slump, another guy picks him up.....that's a sign of a GREAT team, not a lucky one as you seem to imply.......yeah, our rookies have been great....and we've got guys like Miller, Sanchez and Maybin coming up in then near future......you think this is a one year and done fluke?! Enjoy your fantasy......

The Tigers season hasn't been luck at all, and anybody implying that is silly. However I will say that you should be pleased all you have to do is play .500 the rest of the year to win 100 games, and also be worried about October. Your lineup is still pedestrian and your pitching has shown more signs of wear and tear and causes for concern than ours did at any point last year, even when Cleveland got hot on our tails.

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
What is it with baseball snobs...so f-ing what if he ran around the bases screaming and waving his arms....it was a 2 out, 2 run, bottom of the 9th walk off homerun from a very emotional leader........I think baseball NEEDS more emotion in it....this "You can't pump your fist and look into my dugout" or "Don't stand and watch your homerun after you hit it" or "Don't yell and scream and show emotion" baseball is boring and outdated...I love it when there's emotion and personality injected into the game......if you don't like it, then turn it off and watch your catcher slap homeplate after running over the catcher, or your closer pump his fist and yell after a big strikeout in a save situation....cause that's okay for the game, right?!

Do you even understand what I'm saying? Where the gosh darn did I say no celebrating?

You do realize there is a difference between pumping your fist or slapping the plate than fishing throwing your bat and running around the bases like a screaming dumbass and then hurling your helmet in the air halfway down the line and skipping home? Celebration? I think not. Showing up your opponent? Yes.

Pudge looked as if he just won game 7 of the World Series, an August game against a 4th place team is quite different.

Edited by WHarris1

I never said anything about Tiger fans.

See...now I DO have to read posts better....I'll take the hit on that one Heads....I'm just a bit fired up by the Sox fans here tonight.....usually there's been a lot of appreciation both ways, but there seems to be a lot of backhanded compliments here tonight......

Do you even understand what I'm saying? Where the gosh darn did I say no celebrating?

You do realize there is a difference between pumping your fist or slapping the plate than fishing throwing your bat and running around the bases like a screaming dumbass and then hurling your helmet in the air halfway down the line and skipping home? Celebration? I think not. Showing up your opponent? Yes.

Pudge looked as if he just won game 7 of the World Series, an August game against a 4th place team is quite different.

If you think that Pudge was showing up the Indians, then you don't know him very well....He is a VERY emotional player and that's ALL that was....you may not like it, especially if you were hoping he'd strike out and NOT hit a walk off...........and EVERYONE hurls their helmet in the air on walkoffs so they don't get their nose broken by their helmet when everyone starts hitting him on the head when he reaches the base........yeah, he was having a lot of fun running the bases....don't like it as a player, strike him out.....don't like it as a fan....don't watch.....

Edited by ViperPilot

The Tigers season hasn't been luck at all, and anybody implying that is silly. However I will say that you should be pleased all you have to do is play .500 the rest of the year to win 100 games, and also be worried about October. Your lineup is still pedestrian and your pitching has shown more signs of wear and tear and causes for concern than ours did at any point last year, even when Cleveland got hot on our tails.

I'll agree with you that we don't have the power you have in your lineup, but to say our lineup is pedestrian is wrong. We' have 5 players hitting above or right around .300, we have Dimitri Young who, since he returned from his personal issues, is batting over .400 with 5 hrs.......we won't hit more HRs than the CWS, but I'll take our lineup going into the playoffs.......every team in the pennant race has issues and weaknesses and to be surprised if the team with the best record in baseball reaches the World Series is a little naive......

Yeah I've seen Big Papi toss his on the ground numerous times, I think Pudge was trying to hit a cloud tonight.

Well, when you have as many walkoffs as Big Papi has, it becomes almost routine...when you only have 9 hrs for the entire year and one of them is a walkoff coming from behind...I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt........

That's the type of player he is......if you watched the first game of this series when Monroe hit the HR in the bottom of the 8th, Pudge was on 1st....he did exactly the same thing, hands in the air, pumping his fist.....can you show someone up when you're just running the bases?! He's just very emotional, a great leader, and a HUGE reason why we're in the position we're in right now...

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
I didn't take your original post as an insult. I took it as you whining because you're not making up any ground even though you've have a great stretch over the last week or so (go ask Minn how that feels, you can share their pain)

Don't give me this crap about how we've come back in late innings this year...you've done the same damn thing countless times as well with your big bats.......better than the best case scenario?! What the hell does that mean? They have been insanely consistent this entire year. 36-18 over the first 1/3 of the season and 36-18 over the 2/3 of the season. They have a great mix of young players and veterans......when one guy starts to slump, another guy picks him up.....that's a sign of a GREAT team, not a lucky one as you seem to imply.......yeah, our rookies have been great....and we've got guys like Miller, Sanchez and Maybin coming up in then near future......you think this is a one year and done fluke?! Enjoy your fantasy......

Take it however you like. Stop picking a fight just because you are in first place. I never said the Tigers sucked. I just said the rookies are the difference between where everyone expected this team was going to be (80-85 wins) to where they are. I never said the Tigers are lucky.

You're kidding yourself if you expect everyone of your prospects to do the same though. Prospects are prospects, not always future stars.

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:37 AM)
Well, when you have as many walkoffs as Big Papi has, it becomes almost routine...when you only have 9 hrs for the entire year and one of them is a walkoff coming from behind...I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt........

That's the type of player he is......if you watched the first game of this series when Monroe hit the HR in the bottom of the 8th, Pudge was on 1st....he did exactly the same thing, hands in the air, pumping his fist.....can you show someone up when you're just running the bases?! He's just very emotional, a great leader, and a HUGE reason why we're in the position we're in right now...

So just because he is always over the top with his emotion makes it ok?

Pudge has over 270 HRs in his career, I would think he could act like he has done it before.

Another question -- why do you feel the need to defend your team on a White Sox fan site? Enjoy your damn season, no reason to be defensive.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)

well if you think about the Tigers season, they have had plenty of magic that the whitesox didn't need/have

1. the outstanding success of their rookies. It's unheard of for them to be so good for so long (although we did have Jenks last year)

2. the consistency. they have cruised to their 74-36 record or whatever it is now, and it is dumb to to believe that the tigers will keep that up through october

if you think about it, even though the whitesox pitching never showed tons of success until last season atleast they all had plenty of experience at the big league level (unlike verlander, minor, zumaya), and most of our starting rotation was full of players who have had plenty of years in the big leagues unlike the tigers (bonderman, rogers and robertson the exceptions)

Take it however you like. Stop picking a fight just because you are in first place. I never said the Tigers sucked. I just said the rookies are the difference between where everyone expected this team was going to be (80-85 wins) to where they are. I never said the Tigers are lucky.

You're kidding yourself if you expect everyone of your prospects to do the same though. Prospects are prospects, not always future stars.

Pudge please go do some more steroids. Are the Tigers still claiming to be a real team? No real team wins from behind at will. The question is how many Tiger fans had to sell their souls for this season to happen?

This was your original post I commented on....I'm not picking a fight....but I WILL call you out when you're whining like some guy just kicked sand in your face and stole your girlfriend.......go take more steroids?!....that's a 4th grade comeback........

No, you're right prospects are exactly that and there aren't any gurantees......but I'll bet you'll be hearing a lot of Miller (this Sept as a matter of fact) and Maybin in the near future.......