Detroit Tigers World Series Thread

Heads22

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was overblown, but I definitly got a kick out of Rogers spraying the crowd and then FOX panning to Zumaya and there he is chugging down both bottles of champagne.

I got a question. How much do you think those bottles of champagne are?

I thought the celebration was pretty good and made me wish the White Sox won a series at home last season.

I didn't catch the label of the Champagne, but after the White Sox swept your Red Sox last year ( :P ) they were drinking Barefoot Cellars Champagne, which is only around $9 a bottle.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2006 -> 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't the Tigers make a run at Vazquez? I think Zumaya was part of the package, and Rogers most likely wouldn't have been there. I do know KW tried to sign Rogers a couple of years ago but really lowballed him so I don't think he would have come to the Sox. I think this series and of course the result of 2005 shows that pitching is so much more important than having all stars at ever other position. I hope KW spends every resource he has this offseason on the pitching staff.

There was some talk, but I think the D'Backs demanded Zumaya and Verlander.

Supposedly Dombrowski had a trade in place for Dontrelle Willis giving up Granderson and Verlander.

I don't think Rogers would've come here because of his agent, and there was some falling out back in 2003 over a million dollars.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
I agree. They've got that "team of destiny" look about them.

Back to back WS champs from the AL Central.

Not just that, but they're up 2-0 on the A's. The A's don't have the greatest track record in the playoffs recently. Then, they get to play the NL team, and it doesn't matter who it is because 50% of the AL teams would win a 7-game series against any NL team.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 07:43 PM)
I just hope when people keep clamouring for Frank Thomas and rip Thome, they remember that Frank is 0 for 10 in the ALCS. And his team is down 3-0. Just like he was 0 for 9 in the ALDS in 2000 and his team lost 3-0.

Frank basically is their offense. He doesn't have anyone the stature of Dye and Konerko in the lineup with him. They weren't going to be successful scoring runs, if Frank got cold.

Well what I am wondering watching the Tigers juggernaut through the playoffs is, do they know their pitching is doomed for next year.

I expect all of their arms to have at least a few MPHs off of them.

I expect one of them to become a junkballer due to them just changing their philosophy.

Because the wear and tear of playoff baseball and 12 more games destroyed our staff supposedly for this year. I expect the same for the next year for the tiggers.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
I just hope when people keep clamouring for Frank Thomas and rip Thome, they remember that Frank is 0 for 10 in the ALCS. And his team is down 3-0. Just like he was 0 for 9 in the ALDS in 2000 and his team lost 3-0.

I dont think anyone would rather have Frank than Thome. However there is no reason to rip his performance, he carried this team alot of the 2nd half and the first round.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
Well what I am wondering watching the Tigers juggernaut through the playoffs is, do they know their pitching is doomed for next year.

I expect all of their arms to have at least a few MPHs off of them.

I expect one of them to become a junkballer due to them just changing their philosophy.

Because the wear and tear of playoff baseball and 12 more games destroyed our staff supposedly for this year. I expect the same for the next year for the tiggers.

They are giving me flashbacks of last year. I expect Verlander to have some issues for real though, as well as the bullpen. Todd Jones will be atrocious and I think Zumaya will have to be converted to closer which will effect Rodney. I do expect some regression.

The A's have given up.

Some highlights:

Eric Chavez:

"We've run into a better team," Oakland third baseman Eric Chavez said. "And there's really nothing you can do. They've been better than us in every aspect of the game. I don't have any problem saying that."

Milton Bradley:

Which is why these A's could only chuckle when reporters brought up memories of the 2004 Red Sox after Friday's loss. They wondered if Oakland could take anything from Boston's remarkable comeback from a 3-0 deficit against the Yankees in the ALCS two seasons ago.

"We're not the Red Sox," outfielder Milton Bradley said. "We don't exactly have David Ortiz."

The A's are lucky they're a small market team, otherwise they'd have a lot of people pissed at them.

Sox castoff Jason Grilli throws 12 straight balls to walk the bases loaded.

Tie game, 8th inning. Grilli should be thankful Frank "0 for Series" Thomas grounded into a DP.

NOW Leyland goes to the bullpen. That was a definite Ozzie Guillen move to leave him in there after two consecutive walks.

Ledezma remind anyone else of Liriano in his delivery and pure stuff?

Not quite the slider Liriano has, but that awkward delivery appears to be common between the two.