Detroit Tigers World Series Thread

Heads22

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Oct 6, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
Tigers are not as good as the 05 whitesox, but I'll tell ya what, they look like they got the "magic season." Noone gave them a chance or believed. So far, they are looking good. But they are still not as good as the 05 sox. 11-1 in the playoffs is just too sick.

I might have to recorrect myself about the Tigers when they will probably do the same against the Cards/Mets and also go 11-1.. :lol: Our 05 squad still is better though IMO.

Edited by SoxAce

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)
They'll regress a lot worse though. The only reason we still won 90 games is we got so much better this offseason (yay Kenny). Dombrowski is a fine GM, but I doubt he'll be able to do as much this offseason as Kenny did last offseason, and even in season getting MacDougal, Riske, etc.

They'll regress a lot worse? You do realize that Kenny was able to do a lot in the offseason last year BECAUSE of the fact that the White Sox won the World Series and in turn the organization was blessed with a tremendous windfall of profits. Well Dombrowski will be working with a similar sized pocketbook this offseason. It'll be interesting to watch.

Detroit also has the superior pitching staff (and a relatively young one at that) which should help offset any steps they may take back with regards to some of their hitters. They'll also have Maroth coming back who missed just about the entire season this past year. He was their most effective pitcher before he went down with his injury. Detroit also has a few more advanced minor league arms in the form of Miller and Sanchez who will be ready to step into a prominant role in the case of injury.

I see Detroit again winning 90+ games next season.

Edited by JackTalkThai

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
Detroit also has the superior pitching staff (and a relatively young one at that)

I see Detroit again winning 90+ games next season.

Not exactly a plus. Verlander has never pitched this much in his life, Zumaya's forearm troubles should be a red flag. Also Todd Jones and Kenny Rogers are just about done with their careers. Throw in a career year by some really overcheiving bullpem guys (Walker, Grilli) and there is some room to regress IMO.

QUOTE(bunkerf16 @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
You can read posts without registering.......

So you could have registered last year and posted us a congratulations but didn't. Yet you come here now and b**** we aren't happier for your team. Interesting. I'm going to call a bull s*** on that one. :D

Anyway, welcome aboard. We have a higher tolerance for fans of other teams than most boards, but don't b**** about us being fans and not being all that excited about your team and their long term chances.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
what kind of idiot uses the same avatar as his banned SN?

Who is a Tiger's Fan?

18-2833.jpg

Correct, choose again

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
But not after you've been banned before...

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showuser=4001

nice catch, almost to Southsider standards :D

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
this thread has turned into a giant pwning fest...with all due respect to our actual Tiger fan representatives who have some class

I have been reading all this and I haven't posted anything because I didn't want to be "that guy" who brags in the good times and keeps his mouth shut when things are going bad for his team.

But I'm enjoying this time because it may not come again for another 20 years.

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 07:58 AM)
I have been reading all this and I haven't posted anything because I didn't want to be "that guy" who brags in the good times and keeps his mouth shut when things are going bad for his team.

You should enjoy it, enjoy it as much as possible. I get a kick out of their being an argument over the 07 Tigers in here as well. We have absolutely no clue what that team is going to look like at the moment. It would probably be wise to wait and see before discussing if the 07 Tigers will turn into the 06 White Sox.

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 07:58 AM)

We usually have a high tolerance for fans of other teams. For a while we actively encouraged other AL Central fans to stop by and do previews. But the bad posters seemed to out weigh the good and we dropped that area. I actually am enjoying seeing Detroit in the Series. I think it is good for baseball.

About the only Detroit team I couldn't stand were the Bad Boy Piston teams of the late 80s.

Welcome.

Have you decided where to watch the games?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
We usually have a high tolerance for fans of other teams. For a while we actively encouraged other AL Central fans to stop by and do previews. But the bad posters seemed to out weigh the good and we dropped that area. I actually am enjoying seeing Detroit in the Series. I think it is good for baseball.

About the only Detroit team I couldn't stand were the Bad Boy Piston teams of the late 80s.

Welcome.

Have you decided where to watch the games?

Yeah I'm heading home to watch the games with my dad. Might convince the whole family to go to a bar or theater. Alot of theaters are showing the games around here which I think is good.

In response about the Tigers 07 debate. Its much like the debate probably was about the 06 Sox in 2005. No one really knows. They could come back stronger, the same or much weaker. Theres something to be said about the wear and tear a team and pitching staff takes by going deep in the playoffs. I just hope above all that Cleveland doesn't win the division next year.

Is that wrong of me? :P

PS - I was around earlier in the season but I haven't had much to contribute and I figure if I don't have anything intelligent to add its not worth wasting a post.

Edited by MichiganBorn

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
Not exactly a plus. Verlander has never pitched this much in his life, Zumaya's forearm troubles should be a red flag. Also Todd Jones and Kenny Rogers are just about done with their careers. Throw in a career year by some really overcheiving bullpem guys (Walker, Grilli) and there is some room to regress IMO.

Name some young pitchers who prior to their first heavy inning season of their career had previously pitched that much in their life. ALL young pitchers reach a point in their career where it's safe to say, "they have never pitched this much in their life." That's just common sense. It doesn't mean they're due to regress.

And while it's true that Todd and Kenny are nearing the end of their careers but that's what everyone was saying prior to the season. Who's to say they each don't have a couple of productive years left in them? Did they show -anything- this year that would suggest they're slowing down? I didn't see anything. Look at both of their "post-All-Star break" numbers. They both turned it on strong in the 2nd half and more importantly down the stretch. There's still good gas left in those tanks for at least one more season and I don't believe that's wishful thinking in the slightest.

And I agree that some guys overachieved this year (though not as many and as much as you think) and that some of them may indeed regress but with youth like Verlander, Bonderman, Zumaya, Ledezma, Granderson, Sanchez, Maybin and Miller either on the team or waiting impatiently in the wings...you have to admit that there is some solid room for PROgression as well.

You also can't forget that Dombrowski is going to be allowed to open up Illitch's checkbook this offseason. So some of those guys that may indeed regress...who's to say that they won't already be replaced with proven free agents by the start of next season?

Here's the other issue for the Tigers next year; the same issue the White Sox faced in 2006. This division is just going to keep getting better and better and better for the next few years. Cleveland is just loaded with young talent everywhere except their pitching staff. The White Sox pitching collapsed last year and they still won 90 games. And Minnesota has the S & L if they stay healthy.

Right now in the AL Central, if you want to win it more than one year, you have to get better in the 2nd year. The White Sox offense got better, but its pitching took a step back, so the team lost ground relative to everyone else. The White Sox's pitching staff will be better next year, and hopefully we'll have a leadoff hitter. It's the Red Queen in the AL Central right now; everyone's running as fast as they can just to stay in the same place.

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
Name some young pitchers who prior to their first heavy inning season of their career had previously pitched that much in their life. ALL young pitchers reach a point in their career where it's safe to say, "they have never pitched this much in their life." That's just common sense. It doesn't mean they're due to regress.

And while it's true that Todd and Kenny are nearing the end of their careers but that's what everyone was saying prior to the season. Who's to say they each don't have a couple of productive years left in them? Did they show -anything- this year that would suggest they're slowing down? I didn't see anything. Look at both of their "post-All-Star break" numbers. They both turned it on strong in the 2nd half and more importantly down the stretch. There's still good gas left in those tanks for at least one more season and I don't believe that's wishful thinking in the slightest.

And I agree that some guys overachieved this year (though not as many and as much as you think) and that some of them may indeed regress but with youth like Verlander, Bonderman, Zumaya, Ledezma, Granderson, Sanchez, Maybin and Miller either on the team or waiting impatiently in the wings...you have to admit that there is some solid room for PROgression as well.

You also can't forget that Dombrowski is going to be allowed to open up Illitch's checkbook this offseason. So some of those guys that may indeed regress...who's to say that they won't already be replaced with proven free agents by the start of next season?

The offense has also produced surprisingly well, considering how little they walk and how often they strikeout.

Minnesota's not going anywhere, the Sox are going to come back strong again next year, Cleveland has to put together a full season at some point in time here soon, and KC is on their way up, to go along with the Tigers World Series appearance this year. The Tigers could easily be the team to win 90 games and finish 3rd next year...or it could be Minnesota, Chicago, or Cleveland. We'll have to wait to see what happens in the offseason, and then what transpires over the regular season.

I figure it won't be long until someone complains that Detroit should have dove deep within its rich, Motown history for the opening ceremony.

GAME ON.

Unless Fox decides to include more dedication ceremonies, or trailers for upcoming series which are bound to fail.

Edited by Flash Tizzle