Detroit Tigers World Series Thread

Heads22

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodgers has had that "dirt" smudge on is hand like 20 times this year. Maybe he's just a dirty guy or a cameraman attacker cheating bastard.

Im sick of people going "How can you not love the Tigers!" oh i don't know maybe because there pitcher is a cheating headcase and a catcher who lost a ton of weight after the steroid crackdown.

i'm not saying that all of kenny's sucess was from whatever it was on his hand. but that sure looked a lot like pine tar. and i don't know if you've ever tried to get pine tar off your hands, but its a b****. his hand could have stayed tacky for a while after "cleaning" it off.

Listening to Buster Olney this morning, the substance was almost definitely pine tar. Before the game, Olney asked a few Tigers pitchers how do they cope with the cold weather, and they said they put pine tar on their fingers. Then, they quickly told Olney not to print that. Rogers is a massive piece of s***, and this is going to taint the Tigers World Series Championship if they happen to win.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 10:05 AM)
Listening to Buster Olney this morning, the substance was almost definitely pine tar. Before the game, Olney asked a few Tigers pitchers how do they cope with the cold weather, and they said they put pine tar on their fingers. Then, they quickly told Olney not to print that. Rogers is a massive piece of s***, and this is going to taint the Tigers World Series Championship if they happen to win.

That's the veteran knowledge and presence that Rogers has brought to their rotation.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)

Well SS2k5's pic is from the cold cold month of July. Maybe he needed the pine tar to cope with heat then.

from the mlb rule book

The pitcher shall not --

(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand. PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.

(2) expectorate on the ball, either hand or his glove;

(3) rub the ball on his glove, person or clothing;

(4) apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball;

(5) deface the ball in any manner; or

(6) deliver a ball defaced in a manner prescribed by Rule 8.02(a)(2) through (5) or what is called the “shine” ball, “spit” ball, “mud” ball or “emery” ball. The pitcher is allowed to rub the ball between his bare hands.

PENALTY: For violation of any part of Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6):

(a) The pitcher shall be ejected immediately from the game and shall be suspended automatically for 10 games.

(B) If a play follows the violation called by the umpire, the manager of the offense may advise the plate umpire that he elects to accept the play. Such election shall be made immediately at the end of the play. However, if the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batsman, or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation.

© Even though the offense elects to take the play, the violation shall be recognized and the penalties in subsection (a) will still be in effect.

(d) The umpire shall be sole judge on whether any portion of this rule has been violated.

Rules 8.02(a)(2) through 8.02(a)(6) Comment: If a pitcher violates either Rule 8.02(a)(2) or Rule 8.02(a)(3) and, in the judgment of the umpire, the pitcher did not intend, by his act, to alter the characteristics of a pitched ball, then the umpire may, in his discretion, warn the pitcher in lieu of applying the penalty set forth for violations of Rules 8.02(a)(2) through 8.02(a)(6). If the pitcher persists in violating either of those Rules, however, the umpire should then apply the penalty.

Rule 8.02(a) Comment: If at any time the ball hits the rosin bag it is in play. In the case of rain or wet field, the umpire may instruct the pitcher to carry the rosin bag in his hip pocket. A pitcher may use the rosin bag for the purpose of applying rosin to his bare hand or hands. Neither the pitcher nor any other player shall dust the ball with the rosin bag; neither shall the pitcher nor any other player be permitted to apply rosin from the bag to his glove or dust any part of his uniform with the rosin bag.

(B) Have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance. For such infraction of this section (B) the penalty shall be immediate ejection from the game. In addition, the pitcher shall be suspended automatically for 10 games.

© Intentionally delay the game by throwing the ball to players other then the catcher, when the batter is in position, except in an attempt to retire a runner.

PENALTY: If, after warning by the umpire, such delaying action is repeated, the pitcher shall be removed from the game.

(d) Intentionally Pitch at the Batter.

If, in the umpire’s judgment, such a violation occurs, the umpire may elect either to:

1. Expel the pitcher, or the manager and the pitcher, from the game, or

2. may warn the pitcher and the manager of both teams that another such pitch will result in the immediate expulsion of that pitcher (or a replacement) and the manager.

If, in the umpire’s judgment, circumstances warrant, both teams may be officially “warned” prior to the game or at any time during the game.

(League Presidents may take additional action under authority provided in Rule 9.05.)

Rule 8.02(d) Comment: To pitch at a batter’s head is unsportsmanlike and highly dangerous. It should be—and is—condemned by everybody. Umpires should act without hesitation in enforcement of this rule.

seems to me like just having the stuff on his hand the first inning was enough to warrent an ejection.

Steve Howe was ejected from a world series game for having tar on his glove, then suspended for two more games. I was pissed that La Russa didn't do something in that inning. He had to know that Rogers would wash it off between innings (although the stain was still visible).

He'll probably start putting it on his glove. Between this and Monroe's over-the-top reaction to hitting a dinger, one can only hope that Karma makes an appearance in this series.

2005 ALCS = 2006 World Series.

The Tigers and Sox had a lot of time off.

St. Louis and the Angels had to play consecutive games because of a rain out.

The Cards and Angels off of pure adernaline shut down their respective opponents.

In game 2 of the ALCS, there was a huge media hoopla about AJ's strikeout.

In game 2 of the WS, there was a huge media hoopla about Rogers' brown spot.

I won't be surprised when the Tigers win this series 4-1

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)

He'll probably start putting it on his glove. Between this and Monroe's over-the-top reaction to hitting a dinger, one can only hope that Karma makes an appearance in this series.

you mean the glove he wore all the way down into the clubhouse. joe buck noticed it right away that he didn't take his glove off.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
BTW, the picture I posted was from the 6th inning. Looks like Kenny "washed" his hands off, and put the tar somewhere else...

The latest uniwatch kind of hints that his different hat could be an aid in the cheating...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/061023

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
Steve Howe was ejected from a world series game for having tar on his glove, then suspended for two more games. I was pissed that La Russa didn't do something in that inning. He had to know that Rogers would wash it off between innings (although the stain was still visible).

Don't forget about Jay Howell in 1988. He had tar on the glove and was suspended for the rest of the ALCS. I'm suprised Tony didn't put up more of a fuss.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Don't forget about Jay Howell in 1988. He had tar on the glove and was suspended for the rest of the ALCS. I'm suprised Tony didn't put up more of a fuss.

Wouldn't it be pretty hypocritical of Look The Other Way LaRussa to challenge Rogers blatant cheating when he was practically endorsing it in the late 80's and early 90's.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)

Buster Olney is positive that LaRussa didn't challenge the issue last night due to his friendship with Leyland.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Buster Olney is positive that LaRussa didn't challenge the issue last night due to his friendship with Leyland.

if that is true i would be pretty pissed if i was a st. louis fan. once you step on the field, i don't care who you are, if you are on the other team, i hate you. we can be friends after we beat you.