Detroit Tigers World Series Thread

Heads22

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
Wouldn't it be pretty hypocritical of Look The Other Way LaRussa to challenge Rogers blatant cheating when he was practically endorsing it in the late 80's and early 90's.

It's possible that Cardinals pitchers are doing something similar and he doesn't want to draw extra attention. Of course everyone is going to be looking for something now.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Google image search:

visible here (article from earlier in the season) http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/wcStory?conte...p;storyNumber=6

visible here (july start) http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...sp&c_id=mlb

There are smaller ones from earlier in the season that I see it aswell, but I have good vision, and some may think it's too small to judge

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
Google image search:

visible here (article from earlier in the season) http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/wcStory?conte...p;storyNumber=6

visible here (july start) http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...sp&c_id=mlb

There are smaller ones from earlier in the season that I see it aswell, but I have good vision, and some may think it's too small to judge

Those look like identical pictures. Check out the people in the background.

This is just amazing. You know its so funny how with todays problems with steriod scandals and cheating you would think the MLB would be a little more vibrant to enforcing the RULES OF AMERICA'S PAST TIME!!! I mean whats the logic of banding 8 players for not trying when today we have guys who are cheating left and right and nothing is being done about it??

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
This is just amazing. You know its so funny how with todays problems with steriod scandals and cheating you would think the MLB would be a little more vibrant to enforcing the RULES OF AMERICA'S PAST TIME!!! I mean whats the logic of banding 8 players for not trying when today we have guys who are cheating left and right and nothing is being done about it??

I demand for Bud Selig to resign. I am serious.

Even if it had zero impact on the game itself, Rogers not being IMMEDIATELY kicked out is a joke. The last time we had a pine tar incident was the Brendan Donnelly incident in LA in '05 against Washington, and he was kicked out (which remember, nearly incited a brawl between Sciosia and Frank Robinson). The issue here is more the integrity and rules of the game than anything else IMO.

And if La Russa took it easy since he's buddies with Leyland, he's an even worse and more overrated manager than I thought, which is saying a lot considering I've ripped the guy for years.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 06:30 AM)
What are Card fans saying about this? This is soooo much worse than the AJ dropped 3rd strike, IMO, but we heard about that until...well...I still hear about it.

I think the Cards fans are keeping quiet for now. However, if Detroit wins this thing in 6 or 7 games, then I think you'll hear the noise.

This whole story has been SO freaking overblown it's ridiculous. Everyone uses pine-tar.....everyone.

Any pitcher who tells you he has never used pine tar is lying." - - Duaner Sanchez, Dodgers

I'm not saying I put pine tar in my glove, but there's pine tar on the bats you use. I may grab a bat before I go out there [to pitch], but there's no pine tar in my glove. I know it's illegal, but hitters get to use it, so why can't pitchers." - Mark Buehrle, White Sox

Link to article

Edited by JackTalkThai

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
This whole story has been SO freaking overblown it's ridiculous. Everyone uses pine-tar.....everyone.

Link to article

so predictable.

he's a douche bag, first class. As if the camera incident in Texas wasn't enough. Please, defend that outburst too. I need another laugh.

I didn't get to watch the game as I was driving back to school but from my understanding the umps had him wash his hand during the 2nd inning, is this correct? If so, I don't think it's a huge deal. Yes, Rogers is a moron for making this stuff visible and using it but he was still dominating afterwards. I guess the one beef is that he should have been ejected but like I said he was still pitching real well so it's not like the stuff was effecting his performance.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
I didn't get to watch the game as I was driving back to school but from my understanding the umps had him wash his hand during the 2nd inning, is this correct? If so, I don't think it's a huge deal. Yes, Rogers is a moron for making this stuff visible and using it but he was still dominating afterwards. I guess the one beef is that he should have been ejected but like I said he was still pitching real well so it's not like the stuff was effecting his performance.

:lol:

what about his glove? or under the bill of his special hat that is all black? Did you look in there?

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
:lol:

what about his glove? or under the bill of his special hat that is all black? Did you look in there?

They didn't check that? Like I said, I didn't get to watch the game so I'm only going off of what I heard. I assumed when they made him wash his hand off they checked that stuff out. If not then maybe I just shouldn't comment on this. :bang

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)

Link to article

Major league baseball players are not the source I would like on this. Their ideas of what should be allowed leaves something to be desired. A year ago they were popping greenies to keep up. Now we are to listen to their views on putting crap on a ball.

I dont understand the requirement that a pitcher needs pine tar to grip the ball. Its not like the pitchers in the majors are grabbing a brand new from the factory baseball still shiny and all. Every baseball is mudded before it comes out. That takes the oil out of the skin and leaves it with an already tacky feel to it. I have played some schools where they use mudded balls mixed with the same blackburne mud that the majors use. And the difference in feel is amazing. The mudded balls, like the ones the majors use, are real easy to grip and easy to get leverage on to throw a curveball. The ones you get right from the box take a while to rub out the oils and get that slick feel off of it. Pitching in the cold sucks, gripping the curve to get the proper tilt to get the break is hard, but using pine tar and other crap to get that leverage is wrong. If its not a big deal then allow the spitter back, because whats the difference in spitting a lugey on the ball or using a glob of pine tar. Raise the mound back to its former height also while we are at it and we can go back to the days of 2-1 high scoring games. If one foreign substance can make a ball dance then I guess pine tar can too.

I love how everybody is doing the whole "hey, he washed his hands off, what's the big deal?" with all of this! The announcers before the Series were ridiculous. So, Sosa didn't actually get a hit with the corked bat, so what is the big deal? According to these bafoons, it's no big deal and baseball has other problems to worry about! Like cheating in the game...oh...ummmm...but that is with drugs.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 09:08 PM)
I love how everybody is doing the whole "hey, he washed his hands off, what's the big deal?" with all of this! The announcers before the Series were ridiculous. So, Sosa didn't actually get a hit with the corked bat, so what is the big deal? According to these bafoons, it's no big deal and baseball has other problems to worry about! Like cheating in the game...oh...ummmm...but that is with drugs.

it's not the same thing as Sosa's cork. but if it were, look at Sosa's numbers before and after the incident. he didn't hit 50 homeruns again, did he? although that may be attributed to those "other problems to worry about."