Detroit Tigers World Series Thread

Heads22

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
Ah...ummm...green? It would have to be a team literally pulling miracles, wouldn't it?

You should know by now that I am always dead serious. You and your "math"... You don't understand intangibles, Kid. The fact that the A's didn't win the World Series proves that math doesn't work. Don't you ever watch baseball? The Tigers have intangibles. They must, because they obviously don't have an offense. They will find a way to win. Good teams always do. The Cards have put up a good little show, but I still say Tigers in 5.

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
How many body bags will be needed in Wrigleyville tonight if the Cardinals win?

I have no idea. But seeing how we won it last year and if the Cards when tonight its all over for the Cubbies. They really should just sell the team off to canada if the Cards win. I mean this might hurt them so bad that fans might stop going to games but...I doubt it. They will just fill the seats to get plastered. But hey if I were a cub fan I would be an alcoholic too. The Canadian Cubbies LMFAO.

Edited by WinningUgly85

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
I never got the whole point of that logic. You gotta win all three game anyways, who cares what order your starters go in? Does it really matter if they lose game 5 or game 6? I suppose in this case it'd be big to get the series back to Detroit, but that's somewhat unrelated.

(1) Tonight is a must-win situation for them. They can't think about Game 6 or Game 7 at this point. They have to put their best lineup on the field tonight and win.

(2) Rogers is their ace and it's his turn in the rotation to start anyway.

(3) Rogers' home/road splits are essentially the same in terms of WHIP (1.25 vs. 1.26).

(4) Rogers on the mound tonight takes the pressure of pitching on the road off of the rest of the younger staff.

(5) Verlander was awful in Game 1 and was throwing about 4-5 mph slower than usual (most likely a "dead arm"). Why not give him another two days to rest it?

I have a lot of respect for Leyland as a manager but unless he knows something that he's not sharing with the rest of us, I think that his decision to pitch Verlander tonight is bone-headed.

Edited by WCSox

Leyland just might be guessing right on this one -- should be fun to watch. Apparently coaches and players have been walking past Verlander and saying stuff like "so, you're a junkballer now..." and such, tried to get him riled up. But he's still a young kid who's tossed a lot of innings and up against a veteran lineup in the world series. Tough stuff.

The bigger mistake might be La Russa's in pitching Weaver over Reyes.

In any case, they're predicting snow in Detroit this weekend. Here's hoping MLB shortens the season back to 154 games....

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Pffft... The Tigers are so much better that they'll still win in just 6.

Good teams find a way.

Don't you get the sense that they're very, very close to blowing this thing open? I do. Polanco is killing them. What a tank job.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
I'll say this about the Tigers: Watching them earlier this year, it was apparent to me that they had all of the tools to win, but that their inability to play solid defense was going to hurt them at some point. And if Leyland doesn't start Rogers tonight, he's making a big mistake.

Yes, their inability to play solid defense, which ranked at a terrible second in all of baseball in Defensive Efficiency...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Yes, their inability to play solid defense, which ranked at a terrible second in all of baseball in Defensive Efficiency...

Right, because stats can be effectively used to gauge defensive prowess. Good one. :lol:

QUOTE(WCSox @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Right, because stats can be effectively used to gauge defensive prowess. Good one. :lol:

Okay, you don't like the defensive stats. What's your basis for calling Detroit a bad defensive team, besides the fact that they've had a bad couple of games? Oh, that's right, nothing.

Look at 'em position by position if you want to. I can't think of a better defensive infield than Detroit's. Polanco and Guillen are both above average up the middle, Pudge is arguably the best defensive catcher in baseball, and Inge is a top three defender at third.

Their outfield defense is weaker, but again, based on DEF, they're still getting to a lot of balls in that large ballpark.

Again -- what hard evidence do you have for saying they're bad defensively?

I really hope you say something like errors, that'd make me chuckle.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
Okay, you don't like the defensive stats. What's your basis for calling Detroit a bad defensive team, besides the fact that they've had a bad couple of games? Oh, that's right, nothing.

No, my basis is watching them during the regular season. They weren't good defensively then and they've been looking horrible recently.

Look at 'em position by position if you want to. I can't think of a better defensive infield than Detroit's. Polanco and Guillen are both above average up the middle, Pudge is arguably the best defensive catcher in baseball

No argument about Pudge, although I don't consider Polanco and Guillen anything special. Granderson isn't very good, even in regular-sized outfields.

and Inge is a top three defender at third.

LOL. Are you joking? Igne is NOT one of the top defensive third basemen in the league.

Again -- what hard evidence do you have for saying they're bad defensively?

I've watched them botch plays during the regular season that a team like the Sox or Twins would've made.

And, um, they've looked pretty freaking bad over the past week, no?

I really hope you say something like errors, that'd make me chuckle.

Right, because errors correlate well with a player's range or his ability to read fly balls. Oh, wait, because there aren't any stats to evaluate those attributes, I can't make that argument. Because, you know, stats are everything!

What a ridiculous argument. :lol:

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
I'll say this. The Tigers "fundamentally," are one of the worst teams I've ever seen make the World Series.

Agreed.. This Tiger team is the worst team I have ever seen make the World Series. Granted the 2006 White Sox weren't the greatest by any means but the Sox were better than this bunch. How the Tigers ever got this far I will never know.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
Good for the Cards. It's so exciting being 3 outs away from a World Series win, and im glad that it's not Tiger fans that get to expierence it.

Same here. I never understood the "Well, it looks better for the Sox if the Tigers win it" theory. Forget all that. Although they'll easily be the worst World Series champion I've seen in my 16 years of being a baseball fan -- go Cards!