Sox Acquire Alomar for Lamura, Widger DFA'd

Guest JimH

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)
Note I said his ceiling is comparable to Gary Majewski. Minor League relievers are a dime a dozen to a point. Losing such a player is not a huge deal. Some will work out. Some won't.

Didn't R. Meaux have great numbers last year?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
It's on the White Sox site, and Williams is quoted as saying his coaching staff has been after him to acquire Alomar for the last month or so.

So the coaches want Alomar, that means there was something they didn't like about Widger's preparation routine with the pitchers.

On the surface it's not much of an upgrade but I think they traded for their next bench coach as much as a backup catcher.

Great stuff. I also want to remind everyone that Alomar ALWAYS caught Buehrle. If you recall Buehrle hated throwing to Olivo (and that says something considering Buehrle usually is pretty easy to throw to) and my guess is we'll see Alomar begin to catch Buehrle again. The two had a very good relationship (just like Buehrle had a pretty good relationship with Burke).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)
Great stuff. I also want to remind everyone that Alomar ALWAYS caught Buehrle. If you recall Buehrle hated throwing to Olivo (and that says something considering Buehrle usually is pretty easy to throw to) and my guess is we'll see Alomar begin to catch Buehrle again. The two had a very good relationship (just like Buehrle had a pretty good relationship with Burke).

what about AJ, dont they have a good relationship?

This is just a move to make a move, Sandy will probably be just as pathetic as Roberto was the last time KW acquired him. I'll throw out the 6.09 CERA for this season, and the fact that that despite his .323 average, he's hitting .231 since April 20. He hasn't been that great for a while. Here are some comparisons since 2000, and remember he is now 40.

Year Team Team ERA SAjr. CERA

2000 Cle 4.84 5.22

2001 Sox 4.55 4.49

2002 Sox 4.53 4.39

2002 Col 5.20 5.64

2003 Sox 4.17 4.70

2004 Sox 4.91 4.99

2005 Tex 4.96 4.93

Even when his CERA has been lower than the team's it isn't enough to make you think he makes much of a difference defensively behind the plate. With Garcia and Contreras on the mound and Sandy catching, there is no reason for any baserunner not to be running, its almost automatic. He's had 9 knee operations, and its zapped any power he had even though he is still a huge man. I know the organization is very high on him as a human being and leader and that's fine. I just can't see it translating into more wins. I'd rather have a solid defensive catcher who couldn't hit at all, than a guy who is going to be mediocre at best both offensively and defensively.

Ranger, 101...Kalapse is entitled to his opinion. I've deleted all those posts out so if you all want to keep telling one another to shut up than enjoy your suspensions.

I'm making a point to make sure people are allowed to make posts and as long as they are intelligent and worthwhile they are fine. And I don't want to see people throw opinions out if they aren't intelligent, leave that to the mods to remove.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
what about AJ, dont they have a good relationship?

Ya, Buehrle and AJ get along good, but maybe Alomar will take over and see if a change of pace behind the plate will help Mark (imo).

Buehrle with Widger catching:

33 ER in 53 IP : 5.60

Buehrle with AJ catching:

34 ER in 80 IP: 3.82

At a time when we need the old Mark back, if we have a backup catcher that he always enjoyed throwing to, instead of Widger, it could be a boon to our southpaw.

I just don't see why everyone is getting upset for. I doubt if this is KW only move and it's not the big splash that we've been looking for and no one should expect that to be. Sandy is only going to be playing 1 game a week, if that. It's not like he's the new starter over AJ or anything. It is what it is, a clubhouse move. It's a lateral move at best but if the coaches want this move, then I've got to go with them.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)

At a time when we need the old Mark back, if we have a backup catcher that he always enjoyed throwing to, instead of Widger, it could be a boon to our southpaw.

does anybody have buehrle's numbers with alomar?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
Note I said his ceiling is comparable to Gary Majewski. Minor League relievers are a dime a dozen to a point. Losing such a player is not a huge deal. Some will work out. Some won't.

And Majewski was at AAA when we moved him (yet people really didn't think much of it than), Lamura still has a ways to go and I think you pretty much nailed his value right on the head. I'll definately be rooting for him, but the Dodgers got some good arms and he's going to have a tough time trying to get his way up to the major league level.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Dodger dealt him at one point or another.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)

And the obvious question is...since he seems to enjoy throwing to AJ, why is it so important to bring in a second catcher MB enjoys throwing to?

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
I just don't see why everyone is getting upset for. I doubt if this is KW only move and it's not the big splash that we've been looking for and no one should expect that to be. Sandy is only going to be playing 1 game a week, if that. It's not like he's the new starter over AJ or anything. It is what it is, a clubhouse move. It's a lateral move at best but if the coaches want this move, then I've got to go with them.

I think that's an odd argument, considering how everyone was clamoring for Widger (also the backup) to be dfa. I guess the idea is that, even if Sandy doesn't necessarily play better than Widger, his presence will make everyone else play so much better that we won't notice the backup catcher. I think that argument sounds pretty shaky, but we'll see.

As you can imagine, I reacted like the N64 Kid when I heard Widger was DFA.

I also reacted like him when he got the remote control car after I heard we got Alomar Jr.

Sandy has two doubles in 8 at bats against Johan in his career, so if he gets a hit Tuesday night, it's already a clear cut winner.

Thank you Sox management for making this move (dumping Widger.) :headbang

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
I think that's an odd argument, considering how everyone was clamoring for Widger (also the backup) to be dfa. I guess the idea is that, even if Sandy doesn't necessarily play better than Widger, his presence will make everyone else play so much better that we won't notice the backup catcher. I think that argument sounds pretty shaky, but we'll see.

I think what I am trying to say is that everyone is making this out to be a major trade but in reality it is extremely minor and need to stop overreacting to a player that may play one game a week. But if AJ gets hurt, then were in trouble, but would be in the same boat if Widger were here.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
I think what I am trying to say is that everyone is making this out to be a major trade but in reality it is extremely minor and need to stop overreacting to a player that may play one game a week. But if AJ gets hurt, then were in trouble, but would be in the same boat if Widger were here.

Considering how badly a lot of people wanted Widger gone, I believe the reaction to this move has been pretty spot on.

For all of Sandy's supposed leadership and clubhouse influence, he was here when the attitude of the team was allegedly bad, and when it improved last season, he was not here. He obviously wasn't able to get Olivo to grasp the nuances of catching in the big leagues quite like Joe Girardi has. I know he's a great guy, but at 40 years old I have the feeling KW is going to regret not bringing someone in who is more solid defensively. Its going to be like a merry-go-round the games Sandy catches.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)

I understand, the backup catcher isn't a major part of the team. But Widger got plenty of attention as the backup catcher, so I think you're downplaying his role too much. It's obviously big enough to get noticed.

CHICAGO -- Sandy Alomar's third stint with the White Sox officially began Sunday night, when the affable backup catcher and veteran of 1,350 career games was acquired from the Dodgers for talented Minor League reliever B.J. LaMura, who was 5-0 with a 1.69 ERA at Double-A Birmingham.

It was a move general manager Ken Williams said his coaching staff pushed for, both as an upgrade in the catching reserve and in regard to the specificity of bringing back the 40-year-old Alomar.

"This was a specific request, and I followed suit and made the acquisition," Williams said. "The coaches thought at this juncture of the season, with Sandy's experience, especially with certain members of our staff, combined with his ability to give us quality at-bats against tough left-handers and move runners and put bunts down, it was a definite upgrade.

"We think Sandy has done a great job of keeping himself in shape, and he's not going to have to play regularly. Sandy has been after me for two years to bring him back. I don't have to ask him how he feels about it."

Alomar had a .323 average with nine RBIs in 27 games for the Dodgers. The 19-year veteran suited up for the White Sox in 2001 and for 51 games in the 2002 season, before he was traded to Colorado. Alomar also returned to the White Sox in 2003 and 2004, having worked with every member of this team's vaunted starting rotation, except for Javier Vazquez.

The return of Alomar means the departure of Chris Widger, a popular clubhouse figure and valuable reserve during the 2005 World Series title run. The 10-year veteran was designated for assignment during a conversation with Williams shortly after the White Sox 5-0 victory over Texas on Sunday.

Widger would have understood the decision a little more clearly if it was based on his hitting, or lack thereof, as he carried a .184 average into Sunday and was hitless in his last 24 at-bats. It also could have been a decision based on Widger's handling of the pitchers, with the men on the mound having a 5.36 ERA during the 22 games he played. Widger was just 3-for-20 in throwing out would-be base stealers, although not all of that lack of success was his fault.

But in the end, Widger claimed those reasons were not used for the move. Instead, Widger was told that it was about his game preparation.

"If you want to tell me I'm a bad ballplayer, not good enough for your team, you aren't producing enough, I could take it," an emotional Widger said after being informed of the roster move. "But to tell me that I'm not trying, it's tough.

"I come in here after a game and all of a sudden I'm lazy? I just don't get it. Nothing was said about it before today."

When Williams told Widger of the reason questioned by the catcher, he also told Widger to talk to both pitching coach Don Cooper and hitting coach Greg Walker. Widger told the media that Cooper's lone complaint was that he was tough to find for a meeting or two they have at the beginning of each series, while Walker's problem, again according to Widger, was that he followed a different philosophy in preparing offensively for each game.

Widger admitted that he didn't take pregame flips in the cage, instead choosing to hit off a tee when everyone had cleared out. Widger said that he had heard a few comments along the way about not taking flips, but he also said that his approach was no different than last season, when he hit .241 with four home runs and 11 RBIs in 141 at-bats.

"Last year was good and this year, it's not," Widger said. "That's what happens when there's a difference between being 10 games up and being in second place. When you are not in first place, all those little things aren't overlooked anymore."

"That's baseball and a bad part about it, the down part of the business," added White Sox starting catcher A.J. Pierzynski, who worked as close with Widger as any other player on the roster. "I thought he had done a good job the last couple of years, but obviously some people didn't."

While it might sound as if Widger departed with a fair share of animosity, the classy 35-year-old catcher had nothing but good wishes for the organization. He gave Williams and the team credit for giving him a chance in 2005, when he was a non-roster invitee to Spring Training, coming off being away from organized baseball for a year. During that 2004 respite, Widger played in a men's softball league in New Jersey and for an unaffiliated Atlantic League team known as the Camden Riversharks.

One year later, Widger had a World Series ring and thought he had found the place he would play out his career.

"Emotionally, you get attached to some guys because you are with them day in and day out," said Jon Garland, Sunday's winning pitcher, of Widger. "They become your brother, your family. To see someone like him go, it's a big loss in the clubhouse. He's a great person. He can talk to anyone about anything, and he helps a lot of people out in different ways."

"I played with the best group of guys I ever played with, probably the best clubhouse I've ever been a part of," Widger added. "I wish them the best of luck. I love these guys. They gave me a chance to come back and win a World Series ring."

Widger's move, along with reliever Cliff Politte being designated for assignment last weekend in New York, removed two popular forces from the White Sox drive to repeat in 2006. It also sent a message, of sorts, that the White Sox are not taking lightly this recent 3-9 stretch and 2-7 record since the All-Star break.

Last year's championship was one of the most memorable experiences in Chicago sports history. Williams will be adjusting things this week to make sure the title wasn't a once-in-a-lifetime sort of celebration.

"In terms of the particulars about it, I really don't think it's fair to Chris, who helped us win a World Series, to get into it," Williams said. "As much as there's a part of me that wants to hold on to [last year], it's time to let it go -- particularly with what has transpired the last week. It's time to upgrade wherever we can."

This upgrade concept is not foreign to Widger. His only complaint is about the explanation behind the decision.

"Right now, I'm not sure what else to say," Widger said. "I go out there to play hard every day, and I didn't see it coming. It caught me by surprise."

Here is an article from WhiteSox.com on the deal. You can see a few quotes that really stand out to me. Number 1 is on Alomar and how he had been asking Kenny to come back here so obviously he feels right at home here and the coaching staff had been requesting a move so you have to respect that. Afterall its Kenny's job to give Ozzie the guys the players and Ozzie's is to get the best out of em.

Than there were tons of positive quotes on Widger and the more I think about it, the Sox did this move because they think moving Widger will make the clubhouse situation a bit more urgent and the players a bit less comfortable (to try and promote them to get a bit more motivated, imo) while they still get a great clubhouse guy back.

I think Widger happens to be the wrong guy at the wrong time in this instance. Sox needed to make a shakeup and with his struggles it was easiest for them to move him.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
This was obviously done to help the pitchers.

Maybe some of them complained about Widger's game-calling.

The coaches will take the hit by criticizing his preparation.

But I wonder if one of the pitchers told Coop that they weren't comfortable working with Widger and the move was made.

Widger's time was up. In fact this move was way overdue. I just think the Sox should have upgraded defensively. The Sox aren't pitching as well as they need to be. Making every single or walk a double isn't going to help make it better.