Sox Acquire Alomar for Lamura, Widger DFA'd

Guest JimH

QUOTE(rowand @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
great move, I love Sandy... he will do great here. you "fans" doubting this move... let me know another catcher who knows our team, city, and pitching staff, is a great stable leader in the clubhouse, and is batting .323 (albeit in limited ABs). otherwise shut up please.

No one is saying that he won't do all of those things. People are concerned that he's going to turn 40 and has worse knees than my mother.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
Chris Stewart, hopefully.

We'd look for another vet first. Stewart is next year's plan and will also get some experience this September. Obviously if we couldn't find anything else, than Stewart would be up this year.

QUOTE(letsgoarow @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
haha i laughed on that one....... c mon jake one more year in the sun

"Hey Jake, Jenks wants some extra power for tonight, he wants to sacrifice a live chicken, we can't have guys puking in the locker room before a game."

"Alright I'll think of something"

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
We'd look for another vet first. Stewart is next year's plan and will also get some experience this September. Obviously if we couldn't find anything else, than Stewart would be up this year.

You're probably right. I personally have no problem breaking Stewart in this year as a back up. Let him play once a week because I'd rather have a back up catcher who's a good defender rather than a good hitter(duh). I think he could at least provide some solid d for one game a week, even if he is a rook.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
Alomar is one guy you would like to see whiff more often. His consistent contact a lot of times bring up the numbers 6-4-3.

I can remember quite a few games where he hit into a walk-off double play. Luckily, one of those was when he was on the Indians, and it was against Foulke.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
At least Thome will have another guy to party with.

And Hawk will go on and on about how the 90s Indians were the greatest offense ever (that didn't include Yaz, Jim Rice, etc.).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
Any word on who we gave up?

Broadway :P

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
I can remember quite a few games where he hit into a walk-off double play. Luckily, one of those was when he was on the Indians, and it was against Foulke.

A guy I work with lives in Cleveland and is a huge Indians fan. When the Sox first signed Alomar back in 2001 or 2002, he mentioned that although Sandy was very popular in Cleveland, the Indians fans would not miss the DP balls Sandy seemed to hit into often in close games.

Alomar's last start was in June.

6/28: Odalis Perez, 6 runs in 4.1 innings (no other runs allowed)

6/18: Aaron Sele gave up 5 runs in 4 innings (no other runs allowed)

6/2: Seo started and gave up 3 runs in 4 innings (making a start for Perez who was just demoted); Baez gave up 5 runs in the 9th inning of that game

5/26: Brett Tomko gave up 6 runs in 4.2 innings (pen gave up 4 runs, but the relievers of that game are both no longer with the DOdgers and had ERA's over 6).

5/13: Sele gives up 2 runs in 7 innings, but Baez gives up 4 runs (2 earned)

5/4: Tomko throws 7 shutout innings with Saito coming in and giving up 3 runs in relief

5/1: Penny gives up 3 runs in 6 innings (no other runs given up)

I want to point out that Alomar has caught just once since May 1st for one of the Dodgers front line starters and most of his starters came from a combo of Perez (whose awful), Tomko (who has pitched surprisingly decent and was alright in Alomar's starts) and Sele (who had one good and one bad with Alomar Jr). Most of the runs allowed came from Baez who has been terrible with whoever caught up.

Just trying to show kind of why he's catcher ERA is so high.

4/19: Penny gives up 2 runs, Baez gives up 3 (none earned)

4/12: Tomko gives up 5 runs; Two relievers give up 4 (Brazoban and Kuo, both have been hit hard whenever they have pitched in the majors)

4/9: Penny gives up 1 run in 7 innings; Lance Carter gives up 1 run

4/5: Perez gives up 7 runs in 3 innings (as mentioned before he has been horrible with whoever has caught him); Carter and a rookie who was demoted each gave up 1 run a piece the rest of the game

4/3: Lowe was rocked on opening day giving up 7 runs; Kuo and Osaria gave up 3 (both are young rookies making a debut)

Thats all the games he started in and I think as a whole you can see Penny pitched very well when Alomar Jr. caught and Tomko/Sele each were solid enough with him (one not so good, one solid to good start) while Perez, Baez and a few other guys that have stunk with whoever is catching have really hurt his ERA. That and opening day start by Lowe where he was pitching sick, IIRC.

QUOTE(CySox @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
please change the title of this thread. It is not official that Alomar is back. The only source we have is Chris Rongy, speculating that we got Alomar.

He'd know better than anyone else.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
I want to point out that Alomar has caught just once since May 1st for one of the Dodgers front line starters and most of his starters came from a combo of Perez (whose awful), Tomko (who has pitched surprisingly decent and was alright in Alomar's starts) and Sele (who had one good and one bad with Alomar Jr). Most of the runs allowed came from Baez who has been terrible with whoever caught up.

Great research

QUOTE(CySox @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
please change the title of this thread. It is not official that Alomar is back. The only source we have is Chris Rongy, speculating that we got Alomar.

No need for that one thing on Rongey. He's just reporting info, no reason to get person with him. Consider this a warning.

No need for that one thing on Rongey. He's just reporting info, no reason to get person with him. Consider this a warning.

No, I always thought Rongey was an idiot. I personally can't stand him, and I think he is one of the worst pre/post game guys the sox have had. I wish we could bring back the guy from last year. His names escapes me right now...

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
Alomar's last start was in June.

6/28: Odalis Perez, 6 runs in 4.1 innings (no other runs allowed)

6/18: Aaron Sele gave up 5 runs in 4 innings (no other runs allowed)

6/2: Seo started and gave up 3 runs in 4 innings (making a start for Perez who was just demoted); Baez gave up 5 runs in the 9th inning of that game

5/26: Brett Tomko gave up 6 runs in 4.2 innings (pen gave up 4 runs, but the relievers of that game are both no longer with the DOdgers and had ERA's over 6).

5/13: Sele gives up 2 runs in 7 innings, but Baez gives up 4 runs (2 earned)

5/4: Tomko throws 7 shutout innings with Saito coming in and giving up 3 runs in relief

5/1: Penny gives up 3 runs in 6 innings (no other runs given up)

Just trying to show kind of why he's catcher ERA is so high.

Back-up catcher ERA;s can be deceiving no question. Sandy's has generally been higher than the team's ERA for his entire career however. The White Sox have always thought very highly of him, and think he's a future major league manager. IIRC they tried to get him to retire a couple years ago, and make him a coach or manager somewhere in the organization.