September call ups

VenomSox

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
Yes you did. The Sox had a perfect August 28-0. And now hold a 9 game division lead. They also traded for Carl Everett again.

Oh, OK. Now I understand why Sept call-ups are tops on our concern list. I mean, hell, if they were 6 and a half out that would be different.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 07:51 AM)
Ryan Sweeney?

Hopefully not. He won't be ready for regular time in 2007, even as a backup, unless someone comes down with a major injury. Calling him up at the end of this year would only start his arbitration clock a year before it should be started. Barring injuries, he shouldn't see the big leagues until the latter half of next year.

Josh Fields on the other hand will be called up without a doubt.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
Hopefully not. He won't be ready for regular time in 2007, even as a backup, unless someone comes down with a major injury. Calling him up at the end of this year would only start his arbitration clock a year before it should be started. Barring injuries, he shouldn't see the big leagues until the latter half of next year.

Josh Fields on the other hand will be called up without a doubt.

Serious question here, why is Fields a no doubter and Sweeney isn't? I recall Sweeney having a pretty good spring, even showcasing some of that 20-25 home run power the scouts say he has. Is arbitration the only reason?

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
Serious question here, why is Fields a no doubter and Sweeney isn't? I recall Sweeney having a pretty good spring, even showcasing some of that 20-25 home run power the scouts say he has. Is arbitration the only reason?

Last time I checked, Sweeney was still sitting on only like 7 home runs. We're talking about a difference between a guy with a .772 OPS and a .939 OPS. On top of the whole age difference thing.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
Last time I checked, Sweeney was still sitting on only like 7 home runs. We're talking about a difference between a guy with a .772 OPS and a .939 OPS. On top of the whole age difference thing.

Well I'm not saying he was hitting 20-25 in the minors right now, but I hear that's his ceiling. And I think he had like 3 or 4 bombs in the Spring.

I was just wondering, I wasn't trying to make a case for Sweeney.