White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
also, Humberto Sanchez was just scratched from his start tonight. Could detroit have finally given in to Washington/'s demands based on this rumor?

hmm... very interesting...

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
also, Humberto Sanchez was just scratched from his start tonight. Could detroit have finally given in to Washington/'s demands based on this rumor?

That puts a new twist on things..

Please get rid of Pods in this deal. I can part with BMac, although it will take some adjustment. BA is now very important to me here. Kenny is obviously confident in other arms in our system. (ala Tracey, Haeger, Phillips)

Does Kenny Williams really believe that Soriano is that much better than what the Tigers/Yanks/whoever could acquire ?

Should we trade for Carlos Lee as well ?

I have serious doubt with the state of our pitching staff if McCarthy is included.

If we trade McCarthy for Soriano, I have little doubt that we would then re-sign Soriano to a contract extension. It would answer our LF/leadoff position hole that we have ever since Pods injury situation last year made him into a mediocre player.

It would be an OK deal, imo. I don't think we have plans to clear a rotation spot for McCarthy this season unless some sort of injury happens to the other five. With that said, if McCarthy remains the 3rd or 4th guy out of the bullpen, then Soriano, as an everyday player, would help us more for the rest of the year.

I think if you read the story carefully, all it says is that Washington is very interested in Brandon McCarthy. That just means that's who they want, not who they'll get.

After thinking about this a bit longer, I'll go out on a limb and say there's NO WAY that Brandon McCarthy is being offered by KW for Soriano.

Is Williams working on his own verison of...

"You fishing got to be kidding me."

"Ring over Blanton?"

It is a good feeling knowning the front office of your favorite franchise operates with a level of intelligence and insight far superior to the majority of the league. It wasn't always this way. This organization has come a long way.

I am in the minority group of approving of this deal... but even I have to admit that this rumor doesn't mean anything. The White Sox were "extremely close" to acquiring A.J. Burnett and Mike Lowell last year too and look what happened.

As long as it's Scotty and not BA that goes, along with BMac, I don't have a huge problem with it. Like someone else said, the price for pitching seems high. I don't think I'm as high on BMac as many on here are. Although, losing Soriano and BMac in 3 months would be DEVASTATING!

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
I think if you read the story carefully, all it says is that Washington is very interested in Brandon McCarthy. That just means that's who they want, not who they'll get.

After thinking about this a bit longer, I'll go out on a limb and say there's NO WAY that Brandon McCarthy is being offered by KW for Soriano.

ill bet its either bmac and pods

or lumsden, fields and pods (although then the mcdougal deal is kaput)

one thing is for sure, KW has balls of steal.

Personally, I don't like the trade. And if Detroit wants to trade prospects, I am all for it, there prospects haven't been performing like prospects!

Why not just pull off the macdougal trade and then ship out garcia/vazquez for something and slide Bmac in the rotation. I want to have a good team that can compete for 5-years, not a team that makes a trade and maybe still doesn't make it this year and then we have serious long-term/payroll problems. That being said it is a hard spot we are in because we do need to win this year to keep up the momentum, sell-outs, etc.

I would feel much better about everything if we would just take care of business and sweep the twins!