White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
That sound you hear is the sigh of relief of thousands of Sox fans.

Phew.

Thousands may be about right. The other million plus are upset Williams isn't willing to move a lanky relief pitcher in a sexy move for Soriano :bang :D

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
Ian it was in the context of a possible Soriano deal.

For those doubting KW's statements, one thing he's been very consistent on ... he intends to ONLY add to this team. Not trade pieces already on the team, especially pitching.

So now they've added Macdougal, gave up prospects. IMO if a Soriano deal happens, it will be a prospects deal. And I can certainly see the White Sox flipping Soriano (or Lee).

Thanks. And, as always, we are in perfect agreement.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
Well then ... Pods and Fields for Soriano?

Yes or no, everybody?

hell yes, you could get some prospects better and more relavent to our team for soriano... or keep him

fields is gonna be good, i suspect.... but he just isnt on the same level as bmac.....

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
I dont care if they give up Broadway. Hell I was one of the guys who hated us drafting him in the first place. If he can be part of a package that gets us Soriano, then he has done more than I ever thought he would for the sox.

That's one of the reasons why they draft guys like Broadway and McCullough, they're those types of pitchers who project to be solid locks to make the bigs and more often than not put up excellent numbers in the minors, making them perfect trading chips. I won't shed a tear if L. Broadway meets up with L. Broadway later today.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Thousands may be about right. The other million plus are upset Williams isn't willing to move a lanky relief pitcher in a sexy move for Soriano :bang :D

The other noise you hear is the noise of those millions celebrating as BMac shuts down the Mets for our 4th world series in 5 years. The noise is so loud it's traveling through time.

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
UPDATE:

KW was interviewed by Dibble and Kennedy on XM's "The Show", and said that there's no way that any pitcher off of the major league roster will be traded before the deadline. He said that he told BMac personally that he's not going anywhere.

"Brandon McCarthy is part of our present and future. He's not going anywhere."

But positional players are fair game right?

I say everyone on the 25 except for Garcia, Pods, Uribe and Gload (I know nobody really has a use for him) and Sweeney are my only untouchables.

Get me Soriano and/or Tejada plz :D

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
Washington has a hell of a block for Fields at third too, unless Zimmerman has fallen off and I didn't know it.

No, he has not, which would mean that Fields would either have to be moved for something else by the Nats or he'd have to take Soriano's spot in left.

I know there will be a lot of alternative scenarios tossed around now that it appears McCarthy will stay in Chicago for the next 6 years like we all hoped, but what that is, folks, is a deal breaker. The odds of us acquiring Soriano without McCarthy -- well, it's a long shot.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
If not, is he worth the rental?

I'd still say yes.

(Also, I think Pods/Fields for Soriano probably isn't enough to get the deal done. Maybe another prospect or two ...)

I wouldn't do it. Fields is our top offensive prospect. I wouldn't move him for two months of Soriano. And it's no guarantee we even get to the playoffs.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
That's one of the reasons why they draft guys like Broadway and McCullough, they're those types of pitchers who project to be solid locks to make the bigs and more often than not put up excellent numbers in the minors, making them perfect trading chips. I won't shed a tear if L. Broadway meets up with L. Broadway later today.

exactly....one of the greatest reasons for drafting a college pitcher who has faced the competition that broadway and mculloch did at TCU and UT, is that they are ready to pitch in A ball, and only a half year or so away from AA.....that gives em an instant track record in the middle minor leagues, that other teams will wnat to see...

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
Washington has a hell of a block for Fields at third too, unless Zimmerman has fallen off and I didn't know it.

Fields is a sexy pick for bowden. Former QB, kind of toolsy. It Gives them a right handed power bat for a long time. We cant possibly be the only ones who can move Fields from 3rd base to the OF.

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
UPDATE:

KW was interviewed by Dibble and Kennedy on XM's "The Show", and said that there's no way that any pitcher off of the major league roster will be traded before the deadline. He said that he told BMac personally that he's not going anywhere.

If I were Kenny Williams, and my plan was to drive the price up on Detroit, I would not be saying these things. So maybe the Sox and Nats are close... its just that the deal involves other players.

I have no idea who... cause I'm not sure what Haeger's real value is, but maybe something else is out there.

QUOTE(jenksd @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
If we traded a box of bricks for Soriano people here would cry "BUT WHAT WOULD HOLD OUR STADIUM UP"

that's my take on this

As long as that Box of Bricks wasn't wearing Jersey number 55.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
Well good to hear BMac isn't going anywhere I guess!

I'll believe it when the end of the month has passed. If a deal comes up that makes us better, no one (but Garland) is safe. IMO...

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
UPDATE:

The question now that Kenny is denying BMac, what else do the Sox have that would make this so close to being done. My hope is that it is Ross Gload.