White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
Jim Rose just said that Washington wanted too much and the Soriano to the White Sox deal is off.

wow....all this for nothing...though i really question how jim rose would know this before anyone else

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Thanks. And, as always, we are in perfect agreement.

From what I know the only way McCarthy goes is if Kenny finds out the Tigs have a deal on the table. If they do, Kenny will at least consider jumping on the deal.

However, whats going on is obvious...Nats want Brandon, Sox are countering and the question is whether a team like the Tigers, Angels, Dodgers, or Twins are ready to jump in and make a deal that beats the Sox counter. I think the Nats are looking to get this move done shortly so that they can focus on moving Livan and Jose Guillen next and that we'll see something completed in the next 36 hr's.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
From what I know the only way McCarthy goes is if Kenny finds out the Tigs have a deal on the table. If they do, Kenny will at least consider jumping on the deal.

However, whats going on is obvious...Nats want Brandon, Sox are countering and the question is whether a team like the Tigers, Angels, Dodgers, or Twins are ready to jump in and make a deal that beats the Sox counter. I think the Nats are looking to get this move done shortly so that they can focus on moving Livan and Jose Guillen next and that we'll see something completed in the next 36 hr's.

Jose Guillen ain't going anywhere. Out for the season.

Jose Guillen isn't going anywhere. Elbow surgery, out for the season.

Jason,

I believe there's a big poker game going on. Further I think KW will make one more move at least.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
we'll see something completed in the next 36 hr's.

thats pretty crazy man.... 36 home runs is a lot of offensive production

fish.... this fishing deal is never going to fishing get done.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
Jason,

I believe there's a big poker game going on. Further I think KW will make one more move at least.

I completely agree and I think this really is the beginning of the trade season. I'm also sure KW is already on the horn with other teams seeing what he could potentially spin Soriano off for (well maybe not on the horn, but putting out feelers and finding out what other teams offers are so he could see if maybe guys the Nats don't need are potential needs for the Sox) while at the same time he may have feelers out for Pods, who I know management has been frustrated with at times this year.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
I just don't see how the Nationals would make a trade of this magnitude without getting McCarthy back. If that's what it takes, forget about it! Soriano is a luxury, not a need.

I think what will wind up happening is the Nats will work as hard as they can to get the best offer possible. They know they won't be keeping him, and even 2 decent prospects will be better than 2 sandwich picks for Soriano leaving in November. They will take whatever they can get. The Angels won't be giving up Ervin Santana or Brandon Wood, the Dodgers won't be giving up Billingsly, the Tigers won't give up that AAA pitcher who's name i can't remember, and the White Sox won't give up McCarthy.

I'll bet that beyond that, we can put together a pretty good deal for them if they want to take it.

Edited by Balta1701

The Tigers are going to have to give up Humberto...I forgot his last name...and/or Zumaya...maybe even one of their other young pitchers like Verlander or Robertson...so what if KW has shown his hand...now the Tigers KNOW what it is going to take and they may not be willing to take that step.

The White Sox and KW just did what the Yankees did for years...drive up the price, the only difference is: The White Sox weren't dumb enough to actually follow through and pay for it (at least I hope not *fingers crossed*).

I just received information that leads me to believe this deal was very close to happening, but the Sox backed out when they couldn't get Soriano to agree to not having a no-trade clause for his full contract extension. In no way is this information confirmed, but there were members of the Sox organization who were told to order Soriano Sox jerseys today.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
The Tigers are going to have to give up Humberto...I forgot his last name...and/or Zumaya...maybe even one of their other young pitchers like Verlander or Robertson...so what if KW has shown his hand...now the Tigers KNOW what it is going to take and they may not be willing to take that step.

The White Sox and KW just did what the Yankees did for years...drive up the price, the only difference is: The White Sox weren't dumb enough to actually follow through and pay for it (at least I hope not *fingers crossed*).

Soriano would fit in well, and would provide an answer to a need. We need to have someone who can absoultey pound lefties. That currently is our one weakness on our O.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
I think what will wind up happening is the Nats will work as hard as they can to get the best offer possible. They know they won't be keeping him, and even 2 decent prospects will be better than 2 sandwich picks for Soriano leaving in November. They will take whatever they can get.

Well, if not for Zimmerman, I could see us possibly having enough to swing a deal. But they don't need Fields. We just traded our best left-handed pitching prospect. They're not getting Bmac. What the heck do we have that they would want?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
I just received information that leads me to believe this deal was very close to happening, but the Sox backed out when they couldn't get Soriano to agree to not having a no-trade clause for his full contract extension. In no way is this information confirmed, but there were members of the Sox organization who were told to order Soriano Sox jerseys today.

WTF give it to him.

If we don't get him over a no-trade clause I will be pissed.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)

you must be crazy to even think they would give up Zumaya or Verlander. Also the nationals probably arent really interested in Robertson. I think its Humberto Sanchez is their top pitching prospect... but I dont think they want to get rid of him either...Honestly Soriano is going to want to sign with a team where he can play 2B and Tigers are fine with Polanco... they would be much better off with Clee.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)

*Pees Pants*

Side not, I agree. Jim Rose has never been an inside source for ANYTHING. He was probably slipped false information anyways.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
WTF give it to him.

If we don't get him over a no-trade clause I will be pissed.

Since I have no clue how accurate this information is, I'm not going to get upset about it. The person who told me has a friend within the Sox organization who helps with merchandise.