White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still remember Hawk talking a couple of years ago, raving about all the guys in the system that threw 95. Where are they?

I not up for arguing with you, you're being absurd. But remember the Sox weren't selling out and wouldn't have been able to afford Delgado at that time.

Again assumptions about what the Sox could and could not afford and what moves they would and would not have made to be able to afford Delgado.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
Again assumptions about what the Sox could and could not afford and what moves they would and would not have made to be able to afford Delgado.

Are you ignoring the reason Delgado rejected the trade? It kind of ruins your ridiculous argument.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:16 AM)

I say this respectfully, but DA is dead on with his analysis of the situation. He knows a lot of the behind the scenes stuff with the Sox, and he's correct in this situation.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
Are you ignoring the reason Delgado rejected the trade? It kind of ruins your ridiculous argument.

I remember that. Alot of Sox fans though, for whatever reason, hate Delgado because they thought he didnt want to come here because he hated the city of Chicago and didn't like the Sox. That's not the case. He just wanted to find a place he know he could stay for awhile.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:22 AM)
I remember that. Alot of Sox fans though, for whatever reason, hate Delgado because they thought he didnt want to come here because he hated the city of Chicago and didn't like the Sox. That's not the case. He just wanted to find a place he know he could stay for awhile.

so he signed with Florida knowing he would be dealt after the first year? Im not really following the logic.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
so he signed with Florida knowing he would be dealt after the first year? Im not really following the logic.

I don't think they told him that part really. I think if Florida made the World Series which they were expected to do, they would've kept that team together.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:26 AM)
I don't think they told him that part really. I think if Florida made the World Series which they were expected to do, they would've kept that team together.

everyone knew he was going to be traded with how incredibly backloaded the deal he signed was... even if they won the WS.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)

He also got a sizeable extension out of the deal. I seriously doubt the Sox would have given him that much.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How could he not hit anywhere else? With his power he can easily hit in the middle of the order. He's pretty much lead off every year, so that'd be true by default. It still mystifies me why people insist on batting him leadoff. He doesn't get on base nearly enough and doesn't see very many pitches. If we needed a middle of the order bat that'd be one thing, but unless we can get him for only prospects acquiring doesn't make sense to me.

He is a true leadoff hitter. He is better than Podsednik at leading off. If we acquire him, who would bat leadoff? He is not a middle of the order hitter. He is best when batting leadoff, so why move him? And he is not pretty much a leadoff hitter every year. In Texas he was batting 3rd and 5th a lot. I would bet just as much or pretty close to as much as he did leadoff.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)

They gave him a huge backloaded contract, or at least the first year was a discount

2005 $4 mill

2006 $13.5 mill

2007 $14.5 mill

2008 $16 mill

2009 $12 mill team option, with $4 mill buyout.

They sold him on the promise of a new stadium and then they would be able to afford him. Remember the Marlins couldn't afford Derrick Lee. When the stadium fell through again, he was a goner.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is my argument again? That the Sox would have signed Delgado long term if in fact he did accept the trade here? The Sox were not only interested in him being a rent a player? Was that my argument?

Phil Rogers:

The guys in the white uniforms look like they could use the help. They lost for the 10th time in 13 games Monday night, sliding 7 1/2 games behind Detroit in the American League Central. For Williams, this is maddening.

He has not, however, lost his mind. Not yet, anyway.

That appeared a possibility when ESPN reported Monday that the Sox were "extremely close" to a deal for Soriano and that the Washington Nationals have "great interest" in Brandon McCarthy. But call off the psychological exam.

Williams made it clear that McCarthy will not be part of any trade. That is a very good thing. To trade McCarthy and Double-A lefty Tyler Lumsden, who went to the Royals in the MacDougal deal, would be an act of desperation. You don't need to be desperate when you have a ring from the last World Series.

According to sources, if the Sox do a Soriano deal, it would not displace McCarthy or center fielder Brian Anderson. The guy on the move would be left fielder Scott Podsednik, along with a package of minor-leaguers.

With MacDougal added to a bullpen that includes David Riske, Matt Thornton and Neal Cotts in front of Bobby Jenks, Williams has the flexibility to trade Javier Vazquez or Freddy Garcia, which would open a spot in the rotation for McCarthy. That would make sense.

Williams needs to make a trade before next spring to put McCarthy into his natural role, and this seems like the time—in a tight seller's market for starting pitching—to get maximum value. Yet Williams is sending out the usual mixed signals, telling some people he's not trading any of his "major-league pitchers" while telling others he has his sights set on a monster deal.

Rodriguez, the Yankees' beleaguered third baseman, would qualify. It's unlikely that New York will trade him, but his stock has dropped so low with Yankees fans that you can't rule it out.

The Sox have a third baseman to send back to New York. Because they have Josh Fields at Triple A, they could consider moving Joe Crede, though Ozzie Guillen said this month that Crede is better than Rodriguez.

Admittedly, we're probably talking crazy here. But when Williams is in his mad-scientist-in-the-laboratory mode, as he has been since last week, you consider all the possibilities.

If Crede is as good as Rodriguez, what's the point of getting Rodriguez? Long range you'd be moving Rodriguez back to shortstop and opening a spot for Fields, hitting .322 with 14 homers and 55 RBIs for Triple-A Charlotte. And Rodriguez would feast on the hitter-friendly conditions at the Cell. The Yankees and Sox don't seem ideal trading partners, as they could wind up facing each other in October.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-home-utility

Sorry if this was posted, I was at the game and I don't feel like reading all of the fighting goin on:

Nats' Bowden refutes Soriano rumors

Reports said outfielder heading to White Sox in trade

By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

tickets for any Major League Baseball game

Alfonso Soriano is among the league leaders with 31 homers and 73 runs scored. (Nick Wass/AP)

More Coverage

MLB Headlines

• Nats' Bowden refutes Soriano rumors

• Another big first paces Tigers to victory

• Twins go deep to knock off White Sox

• Francis unfurls a masterpiece at Coors

• MacDougal adds firepower for ChiSox

• 'Hometown Heroes' debate begins | VOTE

• Trade Deadline '06: Complete coverage

• Players of the Week: V. Wells | A. Gonzalez

• More MLB Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT

print this pageprint this page | e-mail this pagee-mail this page

• Soriano's career stats

• National League home run leaders

WASHINGTON -- According to a published report, the Nationals are close to sending Alfonso Soriano to the White Sox. The only thing general manager Jim Bowden would say about the report is that a deal is not in place.

"All I can tell you is that we don't have a deal in place with any team at this hour on any player. That's the only comment I'm going to have," Bowden said.

Reached by telephone, Soriano said he didn't hear anything about going to the White Sox.

"I [didn't] hear nothing. This is an off-day and I really don't want to talk about baseball," Soriano said.

The White Sox are one of four teams -- the Angels, Tigers and Yankees are the others -- who have a good chance of acquiring Soriano's services. There also have been reports that the Dodgers and Mariners are in the mix.

The Nationals want young prospects, especially pitchers, in return, but the White Sox have no intentions of giving up players such as right-hander Brandon McCarthy or outfielder/third baseman Josh Fields in any deal with the Nationals.

McCarthy is currently a reliever, but he is best known for the being the White Sox top starter during September last year. Fields is playing for Triple-A Charlotte and is hitting .322 with 14 home runs and 55 RBIs this season.

"Brandon McCarthy needs to focus on his job at hand," White Sox general manager Ken Williams told a group of White Sox reporters. "I have no intention whatsoever of trading him in any sort of deal. He's very much a part of our future. To answer your question, Brandon is not going anywhere."

Nationals president Stan Kasten had had talks with Soriano and his agent Diego Bentz, but a baseball source said that the Soriano camp doesn't want to negotiate until after the season is over. That would indicate that Soriano is expected to be dealt before the trade July 31 deadline.

trade deadline 2006

complete coverage >

Before the season started, the Nationals offered Soriano a five-year, $50 million extension, but it was turned down. During the All-Star break, Soriano said he is tired of hearing about himself in trade rumors and would like to have a no-trade clause. However, Kasten hinted that no player he has worked with in the Braves, Hawks (NBA) or Thrashers (NHL) organizations -- from Moses Malone to Greg Maddux -- has ever had such a deal.

Bill Ladson is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Edited by chimpy2121

Considering Bowden worked at ESPN, he probably has someone leaking them information. Whether the information Bowden is allowing being leaked is real or not is anyone's guess, but I'm positive he's responsible for a lot of the information we are getting.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)
Sorry if this was posted, I was at the game and I don't feel like reading all of the fighting goin on:

So I'm guessing KW wants to do Pods/Broadway and lower level prospect for Soriano and the Nats at least want Fields and Broadway. If it comes down to it, I give them Fields and Broadway(I explained why earlier).

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
He is a true leadoff hitter. He is better than Podsednik at leading off. If we acquire him, who would bat leadoff? He is not a middle of the order hitter. He is best when batting leadoff, so why move him? And he is not pretty much a leadoff hitter every year. In Texas he was batting 3rd and 5th a lot. I would bet just as much or pretty close to as much as he did leadoff.

How is he a true leadoff hitter? I would say that a true leadoff hitter consistently makes contact, gets on base, has good speed, and is willing to take some pitches. Soriano only has one of those traits. Power isn't a pre-requisite. Before this year, Pods got on base a lot more than him. Put him in front of the Yankees lineup the last few years and he scores just as many runs, though obviously the power numbers would be lower.

It's debateable as to whether or not he was at his best when batting leadoff. He was in a much better position in the lineup in New York than he was in Texas, which is where he lead off more. Texas had a decent lineup, but he didn't have as many hitters behind him. He had nothing hitting 5th, and Teixeira hadn't really developed yet when he was hitting third. Anyways, his numbers didn't really suffer much in those spots. In 2004 with Texas, he hit .280 with a .328 OBP and a .907 OPS from the third spot. In 2005 he hit .276 with a .301 OBP and a .781 in just under 100 at bats leading off and .270 with a .315 OBP and a .838 OPS from the 5th spot. Those are right around or above his career totals in pretty much every category for the other spots, and shows you that he didn't necessarily dominate EVERY time he lead off.

He hit almost exclusively leadoff when he was with the Yankees, and now with the Nationals. That comes out to about 2250 at bats, compared to about 1100 in other spots.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
Or we could try to develop a Carlos Zambrano or a Liriano or a Peavy or a Beckett.

And yet we've developed SP's like Brandon McCarthy who have shown they can successful at the major league level.

And other SP's in our system like Gonzalez, Haigwood and Lumsden have brought us back Jim Thome and Mike MacDougall.

You can't just draft a power pitcher and expect him to develop into a #1 or #2 caliber starter like that. Look at Adam Miller in the Indians organization, and how highly he was rated 2 seasons ago, compared to where he is now.