White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
I have two questions zoom.

First, if the Sox were to acquire Soriano, who should the leadoff hitter be? I agree that, theoretically, Soriano's production would be better for the offense if he were hitting lower in the order, but I see no one else on the team who could leadoff. Iguchi perhaps, but that's about it.

Secondly, Soriano has never proven that he can be a very reliable bat lower in the order. He's still been very solid, with OPS's between .800-.850 or so, but nowhere near the .955 he's put up this year. If the Sox were to acquire him, would he be able to maintain his .955 OPS in the middle of the order rather than the top?

1) That's my problem. We wouldn't really have a solid leadoff option. Ideally I'd like to see our leadoff guy over a .370 OBP. If I had to pick someone off the roster, I'd say Iguchi, but he doesn't thrill me either.

2) I posted the stats a while ago, he wasn't exactly bad in the 3 and 5 spots in Texas, even with weaker protection than he had in New York. He posted a .838 OPS in the 5 hole in 2005, which just above his career average. He actually struggled more in the leadoff spot in Texas.

This year is a significant statistical outlier in his entire career. He's never been over .880 even when he was leading off for the Yankees. He's walking a lot more while still showing good power. I'd chalk this up to a Beltran/Beltre like contract year upswing than anything having to do with his spot in the lineup.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not talking about his defensive skill. His defense is great. The notion that he has been a big reason why we have won is IMHO bogus! Please tell me how many games that he has won for us using his defensive skills, and how many games he has cost us due to his offensive deficiency in the first half?

I like BA as our CF, much better than Rowand. But please stop the cherry picking.

Cherry picking? I'm not following here.

How many runs has his offensive deficiency cost us in the first half? I have no idea. We are the highest scoring team in the league and you are worried about how many runs his offensive deficiency cost us up to June 11th? Wierd.

I don't know how many runs his defensive skills have saved us either. Maybe you can look up both these stats somewhere and let us all know when you find out. That would be grrrreeeaaatt.

QUOTE(POPPY_HIDALGO @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
Josh Fields and Jenks.

Macdougle has been brought in to be the new closer. Ozzie is said to be pretty unhappy with Jenks weight problems and is looking to get more lean. At least that's what I heard on the Score today.

your the biggest joke this site has ever seen... always have been, go lay on the freeway or something... anything you could do would be time well spent compared to the crap you dwindle around here.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Soriano's career OBP is .325. I'd call that a passable on base guy compared to a lower on base guy. This is the first year Soriano has gotten on base at a decent clip. Plus, Pods doesn't have the ability to hit for power and drive in runs like Soriano, so he almost has to lead off or hit 8 or 9. As a hitter, I'd say he's an upgrade. However, I don't really want him leading off because it's a waste of his best assets. He's much more dangerous as an RBI producer than a run scorer. I've said that several times.

I already said Soriano's career OBP is .325. It is not that far off of Pods' career OBP, which is not a high one. I disagree with your assessment. I think he fits the White Sox lineup much better in the leadoff spot than he does anywhere else. We would have absolutely no one else to put in leadoff anyway. So I don't know what you are thinking from that standpoint. If Soriano doesn't leadoff, then who does? Anderson? Iguchi? Uribe? I just don't get it.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
your the biggest joke this site has ever seen... always have been, go lay on the freeway or something... anything you could do would be time well spent compared to the crap you dwindle around here.

strong words lol :)

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
1) That's my problem. We wouldn't really have a solid leadoff option. Ideally I'd like to see our leadoff guy over a .370 OBP. If I had to pick someone off the roster, I'd say Iguchi, but he doesn't thrill me either.

2) I posted the stats a while ago, he wasn't exactly bad in the 3 and 5 spots in Texas, even with weaker protection than he had in New York. He posted a .838 OPS in the 5 hole in 2005, which just above his career average. He actually struggled more in the leadoff spot in Texas.

This year is a significant statistical outlier in his entire career. He's never been over .880 even when he was leading off for the Yankees. He's walking a lot more while still showing good power. I'd chalk this up to a Beltran/Beltre like contract year upswing than anything having to do with his spot in the lineup.

Pretty much agreed on all points. I kinda figured we were seeing eye to eye, just had to clear it up.

I'm just not sure this is the type of move that makes a whole lot of sense a year from now. I'd be thrilled to have Soriano in the lineup, but long term, that's probably going to cost $15 mill a year. Is Soriano really worth $15 million a year to this club, especially when you have Buehrle's contract coming up after the '07 season(assuming his option is picked up after this year)? With the additional attendance revenue, along with one or two of the starters gone within the next 5 months, we may have enough, but that would create holes elsewhere, such as the rotation(if two were dealt).

So long as Sweeney and McCarthy are not dealt, I'll be fine. I'm just not sure it's possible without doing so. If Bowden would bite on Podsednik, Fields, and Broadway, I don't know how you can turn him down. Hell, if you have to throw Haeger in there too, by all means, do it. I just invision Sweeney taking over the 1B/OF role next year, getting quite a bit of playing time, and then taking over for Dye in 08. Unless of course KW thinks JD will be able to maintain this current pace for a couple years, in which case Sweeney is expendable.

I dunno...this whole trading business just keeps flying over my head, and I am confused...lol

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But Podsednik is not even close to .370 OBP and never has been, so what is the freaking difference? The only difference I see is we are getting more HRs and RBIs with a better BA than we already have at the leadoff spot.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
I already said Soriano's career OBP is .325. It is not that far off of Pods' career OBP, which is not a high one. I disagree with your assessment. I think he fits the White Sox lineup much better in the leadoff spot than he does anywhere else. We would have absolutely no one else to put in leadoff anyway. So I don't know what you are thinking from that standpoint. If Soriano doesn't leadoff, then who does? Anderson? Iguchi? Uribe? I just don't get it.

That's my entire point, it was my main reason that I don't think he fits on the Sox all that well. We're taking a semi-credible leadoff man out of the lineup and replacing him with an impatient slugger.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's my entire point, it was my main reason that I don't think he fits on the Sox all that well. We're taking a semi-credible leadoff man out of the lineup and replacing him with an impatient slugger.

How is Pods any more credible of a leadoff man than Soriano? Because is career OBP is .017 points higher?

This morning KW said something to the effect of looking at 3 way trade possibilites. Anyone think this could work?:

Sox Get:

Soriano

Heilman

Mets Get:

Garcia/Javy

Nats Get:

Prospects from Mets & Sox

good lord, if Soriano were to come here, it would be a no brainer that Pods sits down/ships out. Those two are LFs, if they're in this uniform.

even if i'd rather not have Soriano as a leadoff hitter, you'd have to look around and realize he's the best option for us there (barring any major additional changes)

QUOTE(kane0730 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
This morning KW said something to the effect of looking at 3 way trade possibilites. Anyone think this could work?:

Sox Get:

Soriano

Heilman

Mets Get:

Garcia/Javy

Nats Get:

Mets would have to be giving up some pretty weak prospects for that to work.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:20 PM)
Mets would have to be giving up some pretty weak prospects for that to work.

it would be great if it did work thou, id love to put bmac in the rotation in place of either garcia or vazquez... id accually prefer garcia to go.... i think vazquez will work it out.

maybe im just an insane fishing man.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
But Podsednik is not even close to .370 OBP and never has been, so what is the freaking difference? The only difference I see is we are getting more HRs and RBIs with a better BA than we already have at the leadoff spot.

Pods finished his rookie year with a .379 OBP, so that isn't entirely true. He also consistently sees more pitchers per plate attempt, which is something else you want from your leadoff guy. I'm not saying he's great, but he's a little better suited to hit leadoff.

I'm not really all that concerned with homeruns and slugging out of the leadoff spot. That inherrently has less value there because he comes up with men on less often than he does hitting lower in the lineup. Move Soriano down in the lineup and he would have probably been around 120 RBI instead of 90 without seriously hurting his runs totals the past several years.

I don't really have a problem with acquiring Soriano if the price is right (as in not giving up B-Mac). I'd much rather have him hitting 2nd or lower in the order though. If we were going to add a leadoff hitter, I'd rather have Abreu (not endorsing the deal). We don't need slugging as much as guys that consistently get on in front of the guys that hit all of the homers.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
Cherry picking? I'm not following here.

How many runs has his offensive deficiency cost us in the first half? I have no idea. We are the highest scoring team in the league and you are worried about how many runs his offensive deficiency cost us up to June 11th? Wierd.

I don't know how many runs his defensive skills have saved us either. Maybe you can look up both these stats somewhere and let us all know when you find out. That would be grrrreeeaaatt.

If you don't know how many games BA has saved us using his defensive skills, why stated "He has been a big reason why we have won?"

I like BA, but I will take Soriano AND Pods over BA AND Pods anytime.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
If you don't know how many games BA has saved us using his defensive skills, why stated "He has been a big reason why we have won?"

And the Sox would miss the playoffs, it's fun not giving a damn about defense.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
And the Sox would miss the playoffs, it's fun not giving a damn about defense.

You as well as I do NOT know that!

Since the Allstar game, our offense has been so terrible and inconsistent. Adding more woes to that, our pitching starters haven't fared too well either. If the pitching is not doing good, BA with his great defensive skills will not be able to do anything! If getting Soriano is to ignite whatever underneath the team to fire them up, so be it!

Of course, if I have a choice, I will MUCH prefer to have Soriano AND BA, but if we have to give up BA in order to get Soriano, I will DO it.

QUOTE(kane0730 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)

Sox Get:

Soriano

Heilman

Mets Get:

Garcia/Javy

Nats Get:

absolutely.....i think something like that is extremely possible....

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
You as well as I do NOT know that!

Since the Allstar game, our offense has been so terrible and inconsistent. Adding more woes to that, our pitching starters haven't fared too well either. If the pitching is not doing good, BA with his great defensive skills will not be able to do anything! If getting Soriano is to ignite whatever underneath the team to fire them up, so be it!

Of course, if I have a choice, I will MUCH prefer to have Soriano AND BA, but if we have to give up BA in order to get Soriano, I will DO it.

What then happens to our pitching when they realize that they have no defense behind them? I think that defense definitely affects the confidence of a pitcher to be able to throw their game.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)

But you're leaving out the 3rd option...BA and Soriano, which is so much better of an option than either of the other 2 its not even funny.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
You guys don't have to worry about him anymore. He is just trolling and that isn't something thats tolerated.

fair enough

have they said anything on the score lately? what is their website? I'd like to see if they haven't said anything new