White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

Some of you guys are making it sound like having power from the leadoff spot is bad. Just because the prototype leadoff hitter does not hit for power, does not mean you don't want your leadoff guy to have power. Podsednik gets on base at a slightly better clip than Soriano, has a lower BA, and of course much lower power stats while him and Soriano appear to have comparable speed. At worst Soriano is equal to Pods in LF defensively, maybe even slightly better. His arm is definitely better than Pods. But as far as a power hitting leadoff man goes, you might want to ask Robbie Alomar if you can be a good leadoff hitter and still hit for power. (Yes, Alomar did get on base at a significantly higher clip than both Alfie and Pods, but the Soriano-Alomar comparison still has relevance to this conversation.)

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
But you're leaving out the 3rd option...BA and Soriano, which is so much better of an option than either of the other 2 its not even funny.

If there is ACTUALLY the 3rd option - BA AND Soriano - I would jump for JOY!!! :D

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
The best lead off man in history, Rickey Henderson, hit many lead off homers

Exactly. And while Soriano is not the consummate leadoff man, I would much rather see him there than Pods. Sure he leads off the game, but after that, it no longer matters what his spot in the order is. He will drive in Anderson and Uribe.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
If there is ACTUALLY the 3rd option - BA AND Soriano - I would jump for JOY!!! :D

I'm pretty sure the Sox value Anderson over all other names mentioned in all the rumors.

EDIT:Oh and nifty. ^^^ When I quote two posts in a row it puts them in the same post for me. Props to administration for having a great message board with user-friendly features like that.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)

As would I.

I'm going to ask a question. What's the difference if Pods gets on 40 more times in the year than and Soriano hitting about 37 more HR's than Pods? Getting on doesn't guarentee a run, especially when you're not running like Pods used to. Hitting a HR guarentee's you a run.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
I'm pretty sure the Sox value Anderson over all other names mentioned in all the rumors.

Hopefully, except for McCarthy. If I'm in KW's seat, you hold a gun up to the 2 and ask me which one gets to live and I start putting together packages to get myself a new Center Fielder.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
Hopefully, except for McCarthy. If I'm in KW's seat, you hold a gun up to the 2 and ask me which one gets to live and I start putting together packages to get myself a new Center Fielder.

I value McCarthy second behind Anderson. It's a close second tho.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
As would I.

I'm going to ask a question. What's the difference if Pods gets on 40 more times in the year than Alf and Soriano hitting about 37 more HR's than Pods? Getting on doesn't guarentee a run, especially when you're not running like Pods used to. Hitting a HR guarentee's you a run.

Not to be an ass or anything.

Alf = Soriano

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
The best lead off man in history, Rickey Henderson, hit many lead off homers

Rickey Henderson took a spiff load of walks as well though. Bad comparison to the free swinging Soriano

Edited by illinilaw08

Who would you rather have (these are ESPN projections based upon what they have done this year)?

______G______AB_______R_______H______2B______3B______HR_____RBI______SB______BA_____OBP_____SLG

_____154_____590_____113_____161______38______10_______5______63______50___0.272___0.349___0.397

_____161_____656_____120_____189______41_______3______51_____102______41___0.288___0.361___0.594

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
I value McCarthy second behind Anderson. It's a close second tho.

Not to be an ass or anything.

Alf = Soriano

Oops, I was rewording and didn't delete the whole thing I meant to. My bad.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Who would you rather have (these are ESPN projections based upon what they have done this year)?

______G______AB_______R_______H______2B______3B______HR_____RBI______SB______BA_____OBP_____SLG

_____154_____590_____113_____161______38______10_______5______63______50___0.272___0.349___0.397

_____161_____656_____120_____189______41_______3______51_____102______41___0.288___0.361___0.594

The first one because he's sooooooo dreamy and and and he has speed.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
You as well as I do NOT know that!

Since the Allstar game, our offense has been so terrible and inconsistent. Adding more woes to that, our pitching starters haven't fared too well either. If the pitching is not doing good, BA with his great defensive skills will not be able to do anything! If getting Soriano is to ignite whatever underneath the team to fire them up, so be it!

Of course, if I have a choice, I will MUCH prefer to have Soriano AND BA, but if we have to give up BA in order to get Soriano, I will DO it.

Offenses are streaky, defenses tend not to be and it would be in our best interest to always put the best defense on the field. We have offensive weapons, they are in a slump. BA should be playing everyday in CF and if we could move Pods in a Soriano package I do it. Otherwise I try and get a righty bat that cna play some defense as a 4th outfielder and call it a trade deadline.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)

It's quite simple, anywhere in the order.

We just have to figure out that contract thing, which I trust KW would do if he made that trade.