White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, welcome aboard, great to have another Sox fan in these parts. I'm going to move your post to the trade winds into the Soriano thread (since it involves trade talk).

However, I'll leave it in here for a few minutes so you see that.

In terms of that lineup It will never happen. Podsednik is a poor defensive left fielder and the Sox will not move him to CF. If we plan on keeping Soriano (something I'm not against) it would mean Pods is either a part of the trade or is on his way to another team for prospects or another major league piece.

Once again, welcome aboard :cheers

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
Latest is that Kenny has said he won't trade any of his starters and that includes Brandon. Talks have cooled and its believed that the Sosx are interested in Soriano, but only want to give up prospects. One persons source (Fathoms) mentioned that the deal may have broke down because of contract talks involving a no trade clause (Sox not wanting to give it).

There has also been other talk the Kenny would get Soriano and than spin him off (of course if we were in fact negotiating a contract, that would dispell those talks).

I have a hard time believing that McCarthy was ever involved - how could it have reached the point where it was considered close to happening if Williams had no intention of moving McCarthy ? Surely, he would have rebuffed Washington right away, correct ?

This leads me to one of two conclusions - Williams dangled McCarthy out there to spark Washington's interest, and then leaked the info that a trade was close to get other competitors to step their offers OR ESPN just jumped the gun on this story.

Now someone is talking sense. I would LOVE to see Pods and a SP (NOT BMac, although it's inevitable, I think) for Soriano.

Anyway, why am I talking about this in here? This is a TRADE WINDS thread. I'll move it in a minute. Oops, NM, already taken care of.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
I have a hard time believing that McCarthy was ever involved - how could it have reached the point where it was considered close to happening if Williams had no intention of moving McCarthy ? Surely, he would have rebuffed Washington right away, correct ?

This leads me to one of two conclusions - Williams dangled McCarthy out there to spark Washington's interest, and then leaked the info that a trade was close to get other competitors to step their offers OR ESPN just jumped the gun on this story.

I think his name was involved, doesn't mean he was part of any deal. The nats I'm sure asked and Kenny probably bantered back and forth, maybe saying we give him up you give us Cordero (not saying the Nats would do it, but just typical negotiating tactics trying to lower the value).

And no I don't think Mac was involved, but if Soriano signed with us immediately it would be about the only way I'd really accept him being moved in a trade for Soriano (if thats all the club is getting in return).

I think its much much more likely for prospects to get moved unless Kenny gets blown away for any of our major major league parts.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)

I don't see how ESPN jumped the gun because MacDougal was actually acquired....seems like the info was correct.

For what it's worth, ESPN didn't break the story. The story was reported first by the Associated Press. Not necessarily ESPN. Every story from that point was taken from the same AP source. Even the story on ESPN's front page said "Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report."

Edited by pcullotta

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:05 PM)
I don't know if this is going to go through or not but after tonight's game, I know KW is going to do something substantial to shake up this team.

I think you are probably right.

I don't know if this is going to go through or not but after tonight's game, I know KW is going to do something substantial to shake up this team.

What would something substantial be ?

They aren't hitting at all except for solo HR's, and the pitching is spotty, certainly not on par with the Twins or Tigers.

Trading for Soriano may be a shakeup, but when it comes down to it, the pitching just isn't that good this season.

Maybe the offense will get going again, and hide the deficiencies, but clearly the pitching just flat out stinks.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
What would something substantial be ?

They aren't hitting at all except for solo HR's, and the pitching is spotty, certainly not on par with the Twins or Tigers.

Trading for Soriano may be a shakeup, but when it comes down to it, the pitching just isn't that good this season.

Maybe the offense will get going again, and hide the deficiencies, but clearly the pitching just flat out stinks.

I think Kenny will look to improve any way he can.

If pitching is at a premium, and hitting is a lesser valued commodity, than you go ahead and get the bat.

The object is still to score more runs than the opposition.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
I think Kenny will look to improve any way he can.

If pitching is at a premium, and hitting is a lesser valued commodity, than you go ahead and get the bat.

The object is still to score more runs than the opposition.

True enough, and I don't doubt that Williams is going to try something, but if you're going to force your offense to score 5+ runs each game, to me at least, it isn't going to turn out good when you still have 20 games or so vs. the Twins/Tigers.

I don't really think there's a whole lot Williams can do except what he's doing, and thats maybe looking at the impact hitters...

That would be moving BMAC into the rotation. It has to be. McD just took his spot.

Trading for Soriano may be a shakeup, but when it comes down to it, the pitching just isn't that good this season.Maybe the offense will get going again, and hide the deficiencies, but clearly the pitching just flat out stinks.

I agree. Soriano will be no cure all. The magic was there last year; this year it's been gone during this

current slump. Unfortunately for us, the Tigers and Twins win every series so we're basically hosed until

those teams come down to earth. We are definitely not treading water, we're falling like an anchor.

QUOTE(Ozzie @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)
Soriano/Sox rumor disucssions coming up on Sportscenter.

Nothing new. Looked like it was taped from earlier. Just said that Sox close and McCarthy not likely to be included but Washington wants him. Speculating Pods in Center and Soriano in Left.