White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(Ozzie @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
Nothing new. Looked like it was taped from earlier. Just said that Sox close and McCarthy not likely to be included but Washington wants him. Speculating Pods in Center and Soriano in Left.

Just goes to show you ESPN rarely does their homework. There is no fishing way Williams lets the Sox finish the year with Podsednik in center.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
That would be moving BMAC into the rotation. It has to be. McD just took his spot.

Actually he took Tracy's bullpen spot which doesnt exactly mean BMac is moving to the rotation

Soriano is exactly what we dont need right now. Sure its fun to have the power in the middle of the line up, but we need bullpen help bad more then anything. If Vas can only go 5 innings, let him and bring in someone else. Soriano wouldnt be an upgrade on defense either.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any link to report 2?

Soriano trade rumors

And Bowden's request of the White Sox might be even more onerous. According to an executive with another team, Bowden requested top third-base prospect Josh Fields and right-handed pitcher Lance Broadway, who, judging by his name, seems more suited for New York than any other team. The White Sox, whose real need is for relief pitching, are said to be a "long shot'' in the Soriano Derby, and it's no wonder, since they probably wouldn't consent to surrendering even one of those minor leaguers.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Soriano is exactly what we dont need right now. Sure its fun to have the power in the middle of the line up, but we need bullpen help bad more then anything. If Vas can only go 5 innings, let him and bring in someone else. Soriano wouldnt be an upgrade on defense either.

He would bat leadoff, not middle of the order. We have enough in the middle of the order with Thome, Konerko, Dye, Pierzynski, and Crede.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:49 AM)

Yeah, our bullpen has really been killing us lately. That damn Bobby Jenks can't be trusted. BTW, Flash Gordon has been brutal for the Phillies lately. Our bullpen is fine....I just wish Ozzie trust them as much as our underachieving starters.

Trades not happening, after the game they interviewed kenny and he said hes not dealing major leaguers. And mentioned that Bmac is going to be the future for this team.

All you Soriano lovers can go away, not happenin.

I dont forsee another trade happenin.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He would bat leadoff, not middle of the order. We have enough in the middle of the order with Thome, Konerko, Dye, Pierzynski, and Crede.

Who says it would be for 3 months? I can't remember KW ever getting a player for only a rental with no intentions of signing him. Why would he start now? It just isn't his style. I believe if we trade for him and give up top prospects then KW will have some kind of deal set in place with Soriano.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
I would be fine with BMac or Pods but not both and not either with Fields. Too much to give up for 3 months. But this teams needs a shake up for sure.

If it's for just Broadway and Fields, I think that's more than a fair deal and it makes complete sense. BMac is already blocking Broadway for the 3 year future and we have other guys as well like Garland and Buehrle and Vaz(as much as you want to get rid of him). Plus we have a ton more pitching prospects who are at the same level as Broadway I would say. Fields won't play 3rd for this team since we have Crede. We currently have Pods and if we got Soriano, he would be signed to an extension therefore blocking Fields for years to come.

In other words, Broadway and Fields more than make sense for both teams and it's pretty equal.

I would much rather trade Fields and Broadway for Soriano than any trade involving McCarthy. I think Fields stock is at an all time high, but I really think he's going to have trouble hitting major league pitching, at least for a long while. I have never been high on Broadway, I think he's a back of the rotation guy at best. I'd try to give up less, but if that what it took to keep him away from Detroit and Minnesota, I would do it, although you really should worry about Minnesota more at this point, and they are after CLee.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, our bullpen has really been killing us lately. That damn Bobby Jenks can't be trusted. BTW, Flash Gordon has been brutal for the Phillies lately. Our bullpen is fine....I just wish Ozzie trust them as much as our underachieving starters.

Did he mention Fields or Broadway not going anyway. Get back to me when he does and I will consider this deal dead. Thank you.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
Who says it would be for 3 months? I can't remember KW ever getting a player for only a rental with no intentions of signing him. Why would he start now? It just isn't his style. I believe if we trade for him and give up top prospects then KW will have some kind of deal set in place with Soriano.

Did you quote the wrong post?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)

Everett, RAlomar, wanted Delgado, even Blum was a rental. :D

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:56 AM)
I would much rather trade Fields and Broadway for Soriano than any trade involving McCarthy. I think Fields stock is at an all time high, but I really think he's going to have trouble hitting major league pitching, at least for a long while. I have never been high on Broadway, I think he's a back of the rotation guy at best. I'd try to give up less, but if that what it took to keep him away from Detroit and Minnesota, I would do it, although you really should worry about Minnesota more at this point, and they are after CLee.

Yep, if it's Fields/Broadway for Soriano, you do it. Broadway will likely struggle to have success at the Cell, and as you said, Fields stock will never be higher.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)

Then looks like 3 way. We get Soriano and Lee, Washington gets McCarthy and Fields goes to Milwaukee. We then flip Carlos Lee to the Mariners for Soriano and a prospect or for JJ Putz.

DAMMIT IM A JEANYUS!!!

:gosox3:

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:59 AM)
Then looks like 3 way. We get Soriano and Lee, Washington gets McCarthy and Fields goes to Milwaukee. We then flip Carlos Lee to the Mariners for Soriano and a prospect or for JJ Putz.

DAMMIT IM A JEANYUS!!!

:gosox3:

R. Soriano has some injury issues right now. If we need to trade for another reliever, then the MacDougal trade was pointless. BTW, I predict now that we're going to despise MacDougal.