White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
Hopefully Kenny is telling the truth and Brandon is staying. If we trade Mac in a deal for Alf, I'm jumping out my window....

Wait, this is our new LF?

alf.gif

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
Soriano fits perfectly in the leadoff spot with this team. We already have a great 3-4-5.

I don't really see that as the case. I'd rather have him being a major power threat at like 5 or 6 with our big OBP guys on base already instead of depending on Uribe and Anderson to get on in front of them, or possibly #2. He has more value driving runs in than getting on base in front of other big sticks. Seriously, this is the first year that he has ever cracked 40 walks, and he's never finished the year batting over .300. IMO he's really miscast as a leadoff hitter and people keep putting him there because he can run.

The leadoff spot really seems like a waste of his best traits. I don't really like the idea of having a guy that hits 28 homers in an off year leading off. His OBP and impatience aren't really an issue lower in the order as well.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I don't think you mess with Soriano's season right now. He's mashing to all hell, and you risk corrupting him similar to the experiment with Iguchi down in the order. If the Sox signed him to an extension, perhaps you experiment with it next season, but I see zero reasons why to mess with the way he is going now.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:06 AM)
I don't think you mess with Soriano's season right now. He's mashing to all hell, and you risk corrupting him similar to the experiment with Iguchi down in the order. If the Sox signed him to an extension, perhaps you experiment with it next season, but I see zero reasons why to mess with the way he is going now.

You're already "messing" with his season by moving him to another team in another league in another park. That could conceivably mess him up just as much if not more. If moving to an extreme pitchers' park and playing a new position doesn't screw him up, I don't see where he bats really affecting it.

There's also a big difference between Iguchi and Soriano. For one, Soriano has some experience as a middle of the order hitter. Secondly, he's got a lot more power and is more effective as an RBI-guy, so he's a better fit down there than Iguchi is.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:12 AM)
You're already "messing" with his season by moving him to another team in another league in another park. That could conceivably mess him up just as much if not more. If moving to an extreme pitchers' park and playing a new position doesn't screw him up, I don't see where he bats really affecting it.

There's also a big difference between Iguchi and Soriano. For one, Soriano has some experience as a middle of the order hitter. Secondly, he's got a lot more power and is more effective as an RBI-guy, so he's a better fit down there than Iguchi is.

Iguchi's whole Japanese career was middle of the order.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
Iguchi's whole Japanese career was middle of the order.

That's Japan, not the majors. There's a major difference, the league is somewhere between AAA and the majors in terms of quality.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
That's Japan, not the majors. There's a major difference, the league is somewhere between AAA and the majors in terms of quality.

He probably the 2nd most complete hitter on the team. I would say that he has enjoyed similar success.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
He probably the 2nd most complete hitter on the team. I would say that he has enjoyed similar success.

None of this matters, dont you understand?

All that matters is where do I find the girls like that at MY school. Or, where is that school at? I believe a transfer maybe in order.

:P

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 06:25 AM)
None of this matters, dont you understand?

All that matters is where do I find the girls like that at MY school. Or, where is that school at? I believe a transfer maybe in order.

:P

He got it from the Phillies message board I think.

Phil Rogers reported that the Sox were working on the Soriano for Pods and prospects deal.

Who would the prospects be? Probably Lance Broadway and maybe a Wes Whisler?

The 1 thing I am a little worried about Soriano is actually how he will hit at the Cell. He had terrible home / away splits last season for Texas, but now he's hitting at a pitchers park and has massively improved. How will leaving that for a hitters park affect his swing possibly? Would he try for more power in exchange for a few more K's perhaps?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)
Phil Rogers reported that the Sox were working on the Soriano for Pods and prospects deal.

Who would the prospects be? Probably Lance Broadway and maybe a Wes Whisler?

The 1 thing I am a little worried about Soriano is actually how he will hit at the Cell. He had terrible home / away splits last season for Texas, but now he's hitting at a pitchers park and has massively improved. How will leaving that for a hitters park affect his swing possibly? Would he try for more power in exchange for a few more K's perhaps?

Or he could try LESS power since it would be easier to hit HR's resulting in a few more points on the batting average..

:o

Also, if we can get this deal done for Pods and 2 prospects none of which are named BMac.. I will be very pleased!

Edited by T R U

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:07 PM)
Or he could try LESS power since it would be easier to hit HR's resulting in a few more points on the batting average..

:o

Also, if we can get this deal done for Pods and 2 prospects none of which are named BMac.. I will be very pleased!

Depends if he has the swing for the fences mentality in him, which many Soxtalk posters will have seen before. :lol:

His splits at the Cell albeit a small sample size, ain't too encouraging;

64 AB's, .219/.254/.375. 3HR's and 18K's.

And yes I echo the thoughts on a deal involving Pods and 2 prospects. Even if Soriano leaves as a FA, we'll get 2 draft picks, which should be better prospects than the ones we traded I would imagine.

Flash will love this, from the N.Y Daily News;

That's why the White Sox seemed like a good fit. Early reports had the Sox sending McCarthy, a young righthander who figures to be a starter but currently works out of the bullpen, to the Nats and one Yankee official commented that "if they got McCarthy in the deal, Bowden hit a home run."

According to one source, Bowden had requested pitching prospect Lance Broadway from the Sox and was quickly turned down. The Sox do have some flexibility in their bullpen, however, since they completed a deal for Royals closer Mike McDougal yesterday; the veteran reliever will be a setup man for Bobby Jenks, so the Sox could stand to lose McCarthy. The Tigers, according to sources, also were believed to be considering meeting Bowden's asking price but balked.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
Flash will love this, from the N.Y Daily News;

Broadway seems like a logical request in a deal for Soriano. Of course the "quickly turned down" could be a ploy to see what the Nats want in return. I can't that being a deal breaker.

Why is the Soriano to the White Sox headline still #1 on ESPN.com's front page? Its clearly been stated that McCarthy isn't going anywhere. Unless the Nats will take less, like Pods and a couple of prospects this deal isn't happening.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 05:55 AM)
Why, what's happening?

Just a feeling....If we won't trade McCarthy, our best major league prospect, and won't consider Broadway or Fields, possibly our best two minor league prospects, I just don't see a deal as working out.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:19 AM)
Why is the Soriano to the White Sox headline still #1 on ESPN.com's front page? Its clearly been stated that McCarthy isn't going anywhere. Unless the Nats will take less, like Pods and a couple of prospects this deal isn't happening.

Hasn't been updated, I'm guessing, but I'm sure it will be soon.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:04 AM)
Just a feeling....If we won't trade McCarthy, our best major league prospect, and won't consider Broadway or Fields, possibly our best two minor league prospects, I just don't see a deal as working out.

Hasn't been updated, I'm guessing, but I'm sure it will be soon.

i think a deal can be worked out...... kenny could try to get one more bullpen arm + prospect for garcia....then hell ship pods + the new prospect + a sox prospect (anyone other than fields and broadway) for soriano

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:19 AM)

it's hard to tell with what everyone is reporting, but listening to ESPN radio this morning it seems that the teams were at least still talking, no McCarthy may ultimately be the deal breaker, but it seems like the teams were still talking.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:09 AM)
i think a deal can be worked out...... kenny could try to get one more bullpen arm + prospect for garcia....then hell ship pods + the new prospect + a sox prospect (anyone other than fields and broadway) for soriano

I think your solution, while makes sense, is a lot to happen in few days....

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:16 AM)
it's hard to tell with what everyone is reporting, but listening to ESPN radio this morning it seems that the teams were at least still talking, no McCarthy may ultimately be the deal breaker, but it seems like the teams were still talking.

Just take what some of those talking heads on ESPN say with a grain of salt...

BTW, you guys see Harold Reynolds got fired ?