White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We don't have one if we get Soriano and Pods gets squeezed out of the lineup, which is my whole point. Hell, I'd rather have Iguchi lead off in that situation, but that isn't great either.

Soriano's OBP is about 65 points higher with men on, and his slugging is almost 100 points higher. Because of that, I'd rather not have him as our leadoff hitter.

Since when is Pods a high OBP guy? You are confusing to talk to.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
Brian Anderson since June 11:

26 G | 84 AB | 25 H | 9 2B | 2 HR | 11 RBI | .298 BA | .341 OBP | .476 SLG% | .817 OPS

Anyone who thinks Brian Anderson is hurting this team is VERY mistaken, he's a big reason why this team has won any games over the past month and a half.

While Anderson has pleasantly surprised me over the last month and he certaintly hasn't hurt the team, to say he is a big reason they've won any games is a gross overstatement.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
I'm really not convinced that you can say we developed Cotts or Jenks. They came from other organizations that developed them. Even Garland to an extent.

I'd consider Cotts a White Sox development - he was pitching in high-A for the Athletics when he was traded. He then pitched marvelously in AA for a little over half a year, was called up, and hasn't really seen the minors since then.

Jenks was a complete reclamation project by the White Sox. Give credit to the Angels for drafting the kid, but that's about all you can give them credit for. They let him go, the Sox picked him up, put him in the pen, and the rest is history.

Garland was traded by the Cubs to the Sox as an 18 year old in A-ball. If that isn't the Sox own development, I don't know what is.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
Since when is Pods a high OBP guy? You are confusing to talk to.

Maybe this is me butting in on the wrong conversation, but a .351 OBP last year, and a .349 OBP this year isn't high, but it's adequate. His baserunning and defense leave something to be desired, but he can get on base.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
While Anderson has pleasantly surprised me over the last month and he certaintly hasn't hurt the team, to say he is a big reason they've won any games is a gross overstatement.

I second that! BA has been an offensive disappointment. Period!

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jenks was in so much trouble he got released. Sox developed him into what he is today, no doubt. He has always had the talent, but the Sox helped him put it together.

What kind of trouble? Please explain. If you mean the drinking trouble then I wouldn't call that development. I would call that Jenks getting scared that his baseball career may be over so he better shape up.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd consider Cotts a White Sox development - he was pitching in high-A for the Athletics when he was traded. He then pitched marvelously in AA for a little over half a year, was called up, and hasn't really seen the minors since then.

Jenks was a complete reclamation project by the White Sox. Give credit to the Angels for drafting the kid, but that's about all you can give them credit for. They let him go, the Sox picked him up, put him in the pen, and the rest is history.

Garland was traded by the Cubs to the Sox as an 18 year old in A-ball. If that isn't the Sox own development, I don't know what is.

Maybe this is me butting in on the wrong conversation, but a .351 OBP last year, and a .349 OBP this year isn't high, but it's adequate. His baserunning and defense leave something to be desired, but he can get on base.

So can Soriano. Pods = a career .346 OBP, not exactly a high on base guy. Soriano is not that big of a difference at a career .325 OBP. I am just not understanding why Zoom thinks we are replacing this supposedly HIGH ON BASE GUY with a LOW ON BASE GUY. They are pretty similar with all of the other stats going Soriano's way. Plus he has busted his tail to learn how to play left field. Pods still has trouble playing LF and he is a career outfielder. Soriano is a huge upgrade.

God I hope its dead.

LAst thing we need is to back to the White Sox of old. Slugging didnt work than and it isnt going to work now.

Pitching and defense...

Pitching and defense...

Our offense is potent enough.. Imagine with a solid pitching staff..!!

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
So can Soriano. Pods = a career .346 OBP, not exactly a high on base guy. Soriano is not that big of a difference at a career .325 OBP. I am just not understanding why Zoom thinks we are replacing this supposedly HIGH ON BASE GUY with a LOW ON BASE GUY. They are pretty similar with all of the other stats going Soriano's way. Plus he has busted his tail to learn how to play left field. Pods still has trouble playing LF and he is a career outfielder. Soriano is a huge upgrade.

You're not going to find disagreement with me there

He'd be a perfect fit for USCF. Much smaller area to cover, so his mediocre defense(if it is mediocre...I haven't been able to watch Soriano in LF at all this year) is hidden by Anderson and the smaller field, plus his quick wrists would allow for quite a few flyballs turning into homers.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
You're not going to find disagreement with me there

He'd be a perfect fit for USCF. Much smaller area to cover, so his mediocre defense(if it is mediocre...I haven't been able to watch Soriano in LF at all this year) is hidden by Anderson and the smaller field, plus his quick wrists would allow for quite a few flyballs turning into homers.

We keep talking about LF with Soriano, but he can also be used to give Iguchi a rest. Just have him play at 2nd, and have Pods out in LF when you want to give Iguchi a rest. He adds a lot more flexibility to the lineup.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
I second that! BA has been an offensive disappointment. Period!

Yes, B.A. has been an offensive disappointment, but there's certainly no period at the end of that sentence. The kid took his sweet time learning how to hit big league pitching, but he finally seems to have shortened his stroke and actually make solid contact every at bat. The kid looks dynamite at the plate.

Robin Ventura endured an 0-41 slump early in his rookie season. Anderson is just going through the same thing. Don't place a period where Brian Anderson is going to place a comma.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
We keep talking about LF with Soriano, but he can also be used to give Iguchi a rest. Just have him play at 2nd, and have Pods out in LF when you want to give Iguchi a rest. He adds a lot more flexibility to the lineup.

Except of course we'd need a roster spot to put him into, which would presumably involve dropping Gload, which gives us less flexibility in terms of actually having a backup for our 1st baseman

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
Except of course we'd need a roster spot to put him into, which would presumably involve dropping Gload, which gives us less flexibility in terms of actually having a backup for our 1st baseman

Depending on whether or not Pods stays here in the event of a Soriano acquisition, I think it might have to be Pablo...

Or else a trade of Mackowiak.

I think we need Gload to backup first base.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)

I don't know about that. I figure if Cintron, Ozuna, and Mackowiak can't handle that, then we're screwed.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)

Mackowiak was brought in to be a utility player. It takes away from flexibility, sure, but we still have a backup 1Bman on the roster.

First and foremost, if the Sox were to acquire Soriano, they'd have to find room in the lineup. I figure that would involve Podsednik being moved, but I have no idea where to.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
One more thing, if Soriano comes here with no one from the 25 man roster being traded, who gets left out from our current 25 man roster? Would that mean goodbye to Gload?

Gload is just so useless on this team...he would have to be the odd man out.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Depending on whether or not Pods stays here in the event of a Soriano acquisition, I think it might have to be Pablo...

Or else a trade of Mackowiak.

I think we need Gload to backup first base.

Pablo isn't going anywhere. He might be the reserve in the AL.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
Pablo isn't going anywhere. He might be the reserve in the AL.

Pablo hasn't gotten a hit in like 3 weeks and he can't play the field.

I hope that is not "the reserve in the AL."

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Pablo hasn't gotten a hit in like 3 weeks and he can't play the field.

I hope that is not "the reserve in the AL."

If he still has legs, he still has use

"He has bayou speed"

/hawk

Is a Soriano to the Sox trade going to happen? I think a trade of Soriano to the Sox still has a 50-50 chance of coming to fruition, with the core of the deal not making KW a liar. In other words, Pods and Prospects, but not Fields or Broadway.

My main reason for believing this is that I don't think any other team in the running for Soriano is going to give Bowden anything of greater value than what KW typically offers.

TIGERS -- Have a huge lead, and do not need to surrender young pitching for a rental like Soriano.

TWINS -- Are loathe to surrender prospects for a rental, especially since they have no hope of signing him next season.

ANGELS -- Bill Stoneman has no track record of making trades surrendering prospects. He's too scared he'll give up the wrong ones.

YANKEES -- Need a RF, not a LF, with Matsui coming back. Mostly, they need pitching. And they don't have anything to offer in a deal.

MARINERS -- Are out of the AL West race, if that's possible.

But the real question is: Will KW be more or less likely to make this trade if the Sox are in 3rd place in the AL Central come Sunday?

Personally, if I were KW, I would make sure to offer the Phillies for Abreu whatever deal I'm offering the Nats for Soriano. And I might sweeten the pot with an extra prospect if the Phillies were willing to take $4 million off Abreu's contract for next year. Abreu doesn't have Soriano's power, but he more than makes up for it with his OBP.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Not since June 11. He has also saved this team many runs with his play in CF. He has been a big reason why we have won. Plus he is only going to get better.

I am not talking about his defensive skill. His defense is great. The notion that he has been a big reason why we have won is IMHO bogus! Please tell me how many games that he has won for us using his defensive skills, and how many games he has cost us due to his offensive deficiency in the first half?

I like BA as our CF, much better than Rowand. But please stop the cherry picking.