White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
For the record -- Scott Podsednik under no circumstances will ever start in CF over Brian Anderson.

You're talking about an organization that put Carl Everett in CF in 2003. If the Sox get Soriano, and if Pods is not involved in the deal, I have no doubt he will see some time in CF, but I still think Anderson gets the majority of the time there. Mackowiak's days in CF may be numbered. Lots of ifs there, I think its a longshot it gets done. Bowden is a guy who asks for the moon for players, sometimes, like when he traded with Cincinatti, he gets it.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
Tim is on ESPNnews now talking about it.

Not much of an update, said Nats-Sox trying to find a 3rd guy to add to deal since no BMac. Said it still could happen.

So, nothing we didn't know.

Well, something I didn't know....

Who are the first two guys? Are we talking about Broadway and Pods?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)

Josh Fields and Jenks.

Macdougle has been brought in to be the new closer. Ozzie is said to be pretty unhappy with Jenks weight problems and is looking to get more lean. At least that's what I heard on the Score today.

QUOTE(POPPY_HIDALGO @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
Josh Fields and Jenks.

Macdougle has been brought in to be the new closer. Ozzie is said to be pretty unhappy with Jenks weight problems and is looking to get more lean. At least that's what I heard on the Score today.

Dude, you are sniffing too much paint thinner.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
I am not talking about his defensive skill. His defense is great. The notion that he has been a big reason why we have won is IMHO bogus! Please tell me how many games that he has won for us using his defensive skills, and how many games he has cost us due to his offensive deficiency in the first half?

I like BA as our CF, much better than Rowand. But please stop the cherry picking.

How many games did Anderson lose for this team with his offense? Can you pull that one up for me? And who's cherry picking? Cherry picking is not chosing a date like June 11th where it seemed to click for BA and pulling up his stats from that date to today, My question is, how is June 11th any more arbitrary than June 1st?

Podsednik and prospects, if the media reports are to be believed, Washington asked for Broadway and KW said no.

Basically this is a poker game right now.

Washington wants pitching prospects that are a year or two away, if not 2007 ready.

Josh Fields and Jenks.

Wow, it's great that you're not completely making spiff up, I've had the Score on the whole day and have heard no such thing. You know your little bi polar posting style has been incredibly annoying but now you're just suppying false information.

Josh Fields and Jenks.

This would be a freaking travesty!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
Wow, it's great that you're not completely making spiff up, I've had the Score on the whole day and have heard no such thing. You know your little bi polar posting style has been incredibly annoying but now you're just suppying false information.

want to play hang man?

Ba_ H_m Pleas_! :ph34r:

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
So can Soriano. Pods = a career .346 OBP, not exactly a high on base guy. Soriano is not that big of a difference at a career .325 OBP. I am just not understanding why Zoom thinks we are replacing this supposedly HIGH ON BASE GUY with a LOW ON BASE GUY. They are pretty similar with all of the other stats going Soriano's way. Plus he has busted his tail to learn how to play left field. Pods still has trouble playing LF and he is a career outfielder. Soriano is a huge upgrade.

And Soriano's career OBP is .325. I'd call that a passable on base guy compared to a lower on base guy. This is the first year Soriano has gotten on base at a decent clip. Plus, Pods doesn't have the ability to hit for power and drive in runs like Soriano, so he almost has to lead off or hit 8 or 9. As a hitter, I'd say he's an upgrade. However, I don't really want him leading off because it's a waste of his best assets. He's much more dangerous as an RBI producer than a run scorer. I've said that several times.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(alexgtp @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
God I hope its dead.

LAst thing we need is to back to the White Sox of old. Slugging didnt work than and it isnt going to work now.

Pitching and defense...

Pitching and defense...

Our offense is potent enough.. Imagine with a solid pitching staff..!!

You're right. Soriano is a better defender than Podsednik. GET'EM KENNY!

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
Tim is on ESPNnews now talking about it.

Not much of an update, said Nats-Sox trying to find a 3rd guy to add to deal since no BMac. Said it still could happen.

So, nothing we didn't know.

It sounds like the holdup is who the 3rd guy would be. I have no idea if the first two are Fields and Broadway or some other combo (not including Felds but rather Pods) and than the question is who the 3rd prospect is.

Either way its very interesting and I think in general it could help to get a few fresh attitudes/faces in here to try and break up the downer the clubhouse has become during this slump.

I'd really love it if a real jokester would be out there that could come in and losen the clubhouse.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
Podsednik and prospects, if the media reports are to be believed, Washington asked for Broadway and KW said no.

Basically this is a poker game right now.

Washington wants pitching prospects that are a year or two away, if not 2007 ready.

One things certain, they want guys that will be able come up this year or next year. Its pretty evident that they don't want 2008 or later guys because if that were the case they'd might as well get the first round draft picks and test there luck with those.

That makes me think, unless its a final prospect, all of the guys included would be in AA or higher.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
It sounds like the holdup is who the 3rd guy would be. I have no idea if the first two are Fields and Broadway or some other combo (not including Felds but rather Pods) and than the question is who the 3rd prospect is.

Either way its very interesting and I think in general it could help to get a few fresh attitudes/faces in here to try and break up the downer the clubhouse has become during this slump.

I'd really love it if a real jokester would be out there that could come in and losen the clubhouse.

One things certain, they want guys that will be able come up this year or next year. Its pretty evident that they don't want 2008 or later guys because if that were the case they'd might as well get the first round draft picks and test there luck with those.

That makes me think, unless its a final prospect, all of the guys included would be in AA or higher.

Heath Phillips and Chuck Haeger maybe, what about Jeff Farnsworth? They did lose Majewski earlier this season in a trade with the Reds.

QUOTE(BDavisFutureHOF @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Unless I am out of the loop -- the one name that I haven't heard Kenny completely shoot down is Sweeney.

Did miss something? Maybe a package starting with Pods, Sweeney and Haegar

Sweeney and Fields aren't apparently safe (doesn't mean they are) as is BMac and the rest of the ML rotation. Some reports say Broadway is untouchable as well, but I think thats a negotiating ploy and if he is untouchable, it tells me the Sox really like him as a prospect (which I'd consider a good thing).

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
You're right. Soriano is a better defender than Podsednik. GET'EM KENNY!

They both get lousy jumps, the only difference is Soriano is actually new to the position so he could actually improve. Plus Soriano has a pretty solid arm and has been able to throw guys outs, something Pods could do to save his life.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)

I tend to think Pods is staying here...

Kenny is not one to deal guys from the ml team during the season.

I'm guessing Broadway, and Phillips.

And I am guessing that Bowden wants Sweeney and Kenny is pushing Owens.

QUOTE(BDavisFutureHOF @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Unless I am out of the loop -- the one name that I haven't heard Kenny completely shoot down is Sweeney.

Did miss something? Maybe a package starting with Pods, Sweeney and Haegar

A few days ago, KW did say that both Fields and Sweeney "Weren't availalble" to the daily herald. Here's the thread on it.

I think "Pods and Haegar" is a great start to a deal, btw. Probably requiring a 3rd minor leaguer, but those are 2 I would think would fit well as a part of this. Haeger should be pitching in the big leagues already, IMO, and Washington would be an ideal situation for him.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
Heath Phillips and Chuck Haeger maybe, what about Jeff Farnsworth? They did lose Majewski earlier this season in a trade with the Reds.

If it was Pods, Broadway and one of Haeger/Phillips I'd consider the deal a relative steal simply because I don't see Phillips having an impact with the White Sox nor do I see Haeger. Thats not saying they won't be good major league pitchers, but the thing is they don't have a place here.

If it was Haeger or Phillips, Broadway and Fields...that seems like fair value on both sides, but I'd love it if we didn't have to give up one of Fields/Broadway.

On a sidenote, I'd rather trade Fields but I think the Nats want pitching more than hitting. However, Jerry Owens (once traded by the Nats) is a kind of throw in that could intrigue them.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)

I don't think Farnsworth makes Bowden excited. They don't want middle of the road journeyman type prospects who have only a slight chance of making contributions to a major league team. If they keep Soriano they get 2 decent draft picks.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
And Soriano's career OBP is .325. I'd call that a passable on base guy compared to a lower on base guy. This is the first year Soriano has gotten on base at a decent clip. Plus, Pods doesn't have the ability to hit for power and drive in runs like Soriano, so he almost has to lead off or hit 8 or 9. As a hitter, I'd say he's an upgrade. However, I don't really want him leading off because it's a waste of his best assets. I've said that several times.

I have two questions zoom.

First, if the Sox were to acquire Soriano, who should the leadoff hitter be? I agree that, theoretically, Soriano's production would be better for the offense if he were hitting lower in the order, but I see no one else on the team who could leadoff. Iguchi perhaps, but that's about it.

Secondly, Soriano has never proven that he can be a very reliable bat lower in the order. He's still been very solid, with OPS's between .800-.850 or so, but nowhere near the .955 he's put up this year. If the Sox were to acquire him, would he be able to maintain his .955 OPS in the middle of the order rather than the top?

QUOTE(BDavisFutureHOF @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
From the home page of ESPN:

"Is Soriano landing in Chicago with the White Sox? Stark isn't so sure."

That's been there for hours.

He's just reacting to the premature reporting by his own network yesterday.