White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
Ah...but it would be 'Hot Sox fan runs on field naked'...instead of 'ugly Cub fan'

Anyway, I'm down with Soriano...hoping B-Mac is somehow not part of it. His bat at the top of the order would be great.

If that's the case, then with Pods in center and Soriano in left, so much for pitching and defense winning championships.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
keep in mind that the texas rangers owe 10 mil on each year of arods contract.

so arod for 15 mil is more financially possible

The Yankees do not have to give up that $$$ if they trade ARod. They get to keep as much as they can negotiate out of whoever they're trading with. The money goes to the team, it doesn't follow the player.

fish this.

You know, I honestly don't care who we'd receive in return. I don't believe you can trade McCarthy. You just can't. Williams can't possibly look at this rotation beyond this season and feel confident about it's performance and durability, can he? I believe it's a HUGE mistake to part with him. Trade every minor league pitcher our pathetic system has, just don't depart with perhaps our future ace.

We're not Minnesota. Hall of Fame arms collected from Rule 5 drafts and lopsided deals don't happen to us. Our system, which is already behind several years in the division of starting pitching, can't take another hit.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
What if we miss the playoffs and go back to having 20,000-25,000 per game next year?

Then do we have the money?

Guestimating, but I think so.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
Does all that transfer when a trade is made?

The money would have to be negotiated into the trade by the Sox and Yankees, that money does not just automatically come with him.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
keep in mind that the texas rangers owe 10 mil on each year of arods contract.

so arod for 15 mil is more financially possible

They owe the Yanks that money. The Yanks don't have to send it along with Arod, I believe.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
I don't see how this trade makes sense for the Sox unless Kenny makes another deal with Soriano. Granted, Soriano is hell of a trading chip but that's an awful lot to give up just for some bullpen help.

it makes sense for a number of reasons

1. we all want pitching, but pitching isnt out there, so turn to offense.

2. soriano must NOT become a tiger

3. mccarthy is awesome but this teams shelf life ends in 2007, and mccarthy, while a big factor, figures largest post 2007, when we will likely not be as good as we are now (presuming of course we dont resign everyone)

4. if we make it through the ALCS, the series is ours. the NL is horrendous.

To those who think Soriano wouldn't stay in Chicago for the rest of this year... When has Kenny Williams ever NOT gotten the biggest name in a trade?

Also I think keeping Soriano away from Detroit ala Freddy Garcia away from Cleveland and NYY in 2004 is what KW is trying to do here, and overpaying a little could be worth it. Think about it this way, is keeping someone AWAY from your rival worth another prospect out of your system?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
Ah...but it would be 'Hot Sox fan runs on field naked'...instead of 'ugly Cub fan'

Anyway, I'm down with Soriano...hoping B-Mac is somehow not part of it. His bat at the top of the order would be great.

Have you seen G....??? :huh:

Just kiddin' G... :lolhitting

QUOTE(spawn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
If that's the case, then with Pods in center and Soriano in left, so much for pitching and defense winning championships.

Pods playing CF can not be in Kenny's plan...our man BA would still be there.

If Pods in center is part of the plan...well, we're f***ed.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
To those who think Soriano wouldn't stay in Chicago for the rest of this year... When has Kenny Williams ever NOT gotten the biggest name in a trade?

Last year? :P

I live outside DC, but I don't know for sure whether Washington is refusing to allow teams a window to re-sign Soriano before concluding a deal. I think I read where there were refusing that. Anyone know?

If we could afford him, Soriano would certainly be a huge offensive upgrade over Pods in LF, and wouldn't provide that much less in the defensive department. And on a longer term deal, it's theoretically possible he could move back to 2B when Iguchi goes.

But as a rental? When we really need starting pitching? Frankly, I'd rather move Vazquez and just put McCarthy into the rotation.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
but this teams shelf life ends in 2007, and mccarthy, while a big factor, figures largest post 2007, when we will likely not be as good as we are now (presuming of course we dont resign everyone)

Don't think for one second the White Sox front office isn't playing to win now. Right now. 2006. Now.

As you've said, the window closes after 2007 and while Williams has proven he knows how to effectively re-stock rather than re-build--averting a total collapse--he's playing for today.

This season can easily go one of two ways at this point. While this trade would force Williams to re-work his three-year board, it works very nicely for his 2006 plans...that is, whether or not Soriano actually suits up for the White Sox.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
Talking with a friend, we have to win now with that deal, or it's just not worth it.

That's far from a guarantee now, last year, or any year with a baseball team.

I just believe it's incredibly shortsighted to include a potential ace (for our rotation, atleast) for Soriano. Whether or not he's immediately swung to another club for pitching, it remains clear we'd be without McCarthy.

Oh Heads, if you think my rantings now about our pitching is tiring, just wait until McCarthy leaves. My expecatations of our pitchers will be so absurd, you'll spiff yourself. Everybody will be compared to Liriano and Santana, even more than the currently are. "Where's our Liriano" posts will quadruple in frequency. Immediate contributions will be expected upon every prospect. :D

I realize the logic of assembling a club to "win now," but does that excuse the lack of forsight concerning our teams following 2006? Would such a scenario involving McCarthy basically assure us of the same rotation next season? I'm not doubting KW's intelligence or track record, so no one needs to start that crap with "He did pretty good last year, har har har."

Just don't like this, AT ALL.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
also, Humberto Sanchez was just scratched from his start tonight. Could detroit have finally given in to Washington/'s demands based on this rumor?

Now that certainly is an interesting tidbit of information.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
That's far from a guarantee now, last year, or any year with a baseball team.

I just believe it's incredibly shortsighted to include a potential ace (for our rotation, atleast) for Soriano. Whether or not he's immediately swung to another club for pitching, it remains clear we'd be without McCarthy.

Oh Heads, if you think my rantings now about our pitching is tiring, just wait until McCarthy leaves. My expecatations of our pitchers will be so absurd, you'll spiff yourself. Everybody will be compared to Liriano and Santana, even more than the currently are. "Where's our Liriano" posts will quadruple in frequency. Immediate contributions will be expected upon every prospect. :D

I realize the logic of assembling a club to "win now," but does that excuse the lack of forsight concerning our teams following 2006? Would such a scenario involving McCarthy basically assure us of the same rotation next season? I'm not doubting KW's intelligence or track record, so no one needs to start that crap with "He did pretty good last year, har har har."

Just don't like this, AT ALL.

oh come on, everyone wants to see Fireball Freddy around for another year!!!!