Sox get Mike MacDougal for Tyler Lumsden and Daniel Cortes

maggsmaggs

I like the MacDougal deal. Our pen is now, all of a sudden, full of flamethrowers who are locked up for the long term. I don't miss prospects who haven't proven themselves at the major league level.

If we give up McCarthy for Soriano, we'd better be able to sign him after this year. We can't lose BMac for a rental.

Edited by Balance

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
Would it help if I told you this was the exact plan the Sox have with Lummy. I've talked to numerous people and they worked with him on pitching to contact, especially this season, because they felt it would help aid him in terms of rebuilding his arm strength and being able to go deeper in games without putting as much stress on his arm.

Personally I like that plan in general, but when he needs to he is very capable of getting a strikeout, but with no one on he's out there pitching to contact (hitting his spots, being agressive and giving his fielders a chance).

well i guess that explains it some.... and dont get me wrong I was a big fan of Lumdsen too he just wasnt my favorite as he was for a lot of other posters here. Personally I think Whistler has a higher ceiling and with his recent surge he is starting to show he is a real prospect again... also our minors seems to be stacked with SP's its the hitting prospects we seem to have very little of.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
well i guess that explains it some.... and dont get me wrong I was a big fan of Lumdsen too he just wasnt my favorite as he was for a lot of other posters here. Personally I think Whistler has a higher ceiling and with his recent surge he is starting to show he is a real prospect again... also our minors seems to be stacked with SP's its the hitting prospects we seem to have very little of.

when will mcdougal be in a uni? tomorrows game?

QUOTE(Balance @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
I like the MacDougal deal. Our pen is now, all of a sudden, full of flamethrowers who are locked up for the long term. I don't miss prospects who haven't proven themselves at the major league level.

If we give up McCarthy for Soriano, we'd better be able to sign him after this year. We can't lose BMac for a rental.

If MacDougal stays heatlhy I got no problem cause I've always liked his arm, but I want to know what exactly his arm troubles are and you got to hope/think the org thinks its past em.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
when will mcdougal be in a uni? tomorrows game?

Well, the Royals were in KC yesterday and tomorrow so it wouldn't be much of a trip to get to Chicago and seeing how quickly Lumsden was placed on Wichita's roster I'd say the deal was done pretty early this afternoon. I don't see why he couldn't be available to pitch tonight.

QUOTE(Balance @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)

It seems like it was a high price to pay for somebody who just got off the DL. But like you said if he is healthy we have guys that can throw hard in our pen.

McCarthy is too valuable to give up.

Question for those in the know: What kind of injury problems has MacDougal had? Have they been more flukish like injuries? Or have they been the kind that can cut short a guy's career? I assume Kenny and his crew have done their homework on the guy. They must feel his injury past is nothing to be too terribly concerned about for them to make this deal.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
It seems like it was a high price to pay for somebody who just got off the DL. But like you said if he is healthy we have guys that can throw hard in our pen.

McCarthy is too valuable to give up.

its gunna be interesting to see what happens these next few days. if we get soriano, if we do and then trade him, etc. i would be shocked if bmac got traded, kenny always talked about how bmac isnt going anywhere.

>so with us acquiring macD does this mean we wont be adding another bullpen arm?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
If MacDougal stays heatlhy I got no problem cause I've always liked his arm, but I want to know what exactly his arm troubles are and you got to hope/think the org thinks its past em.

Good point. I'm just a little too excited! My enthusiasm is contingent on MacDougal being and staying healthy.

:drink

Edited by Balance

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
MacDougal may be in Chicago tonite, as it sounds like this deal was done for quite a bit, according to Jason.

Tonight may be quick, but this deal was pretty much done relatively early today from what I know, especially since the minor league affiliates we semi aware of the deal.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
Tonight may be quick, but this deal was pretty much done relatively early today from what I know, especially since the minor league affiliates we semi aware of the deal.

id guess its tonight, because the sox said a move would be made before the minny game to bring the roster to 25, otherwise id think they would wait t il after tonights games to make the deal

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
id guess its tonight, because the sox said a move would be made before the minny game to bring the roster to 25, otherwise id think they would wait t il after tonights games to make the deal

At least right now, MacDougal is listed on the 25 man roster at whitesox.com, but Alomar Jr. is not. Both BMac and Tracey are still there.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
Question for those in the know: What kind of injury problems has MacDougal had? Have they been more flukish like injuries? Or have they been the kind that can cut short a guy's career? I assume Kenny and his crew have done their homework on the guy. They must feel his injury past is nothing to be too terribly concerned about for them to make this deal.

Anybody?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
Anybody?

i tried looking but couldnt find anything...i dont think they were freakish type, such as the type prior has had, colliding, ball being hit off the elbow. they have basically been just elbow problems

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
Can't say, been so busy trying to keep up with whats going on, but I swore one was elbow related and my geuss is the most recent one is as well.

The injury this year is listed as a "Right Shoulder Strain".

"strained terres major muscle under his right shoulder".

Other injuries he's had problems with:

15 day DL in March of 04 with a Stomach Virus

Later that year, he missed all kinds of time with "Elbow and Mechanics" problems.

Edited by Balta1701