Sox get Mike MacDougal for Tyler Lumsden and Daniel Cortes

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
just heard Kenny Williams on XM radio.

he said the Sox ARE NOT going to trade any pitchers on the major league roster.

Said he went to the clubhouse early to talk to BMac to tell him that.

damn that means we are stuck with javy

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, assuming MacDougal is healhy, I like this deal. Let's face it, we knew Kenny was probably gonna have to overpay a little if he was gonna be able to pull off a deal with an AL team -- even the Royals. MacDougal has an excellent arm and nasty stuff. He's proven (when healthy) to be pretty good. Who knows what his save total would've looked like last year if he wasn't closing games for the Royals. It's not like they have a lead after 8 all that often.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
Well, assuming MacDougal is healhy, I like this deal. Let's face it, we knew Kenny was probably gonna have to overpay a little if he was gonna be able to pull off a deal with an AL team -- even the Royals. MacDougal has an excellent arm and nasty stuff. He's proven (when healthy) to be pretty good. Who knows what his save total would've looked like last year if he wasn't closing games for the Royals. It's not like they have a lead after 8 all that often.

lets just hope he stays healthy. a good thing is that hes only pitched 4 innings this year so hes fresh and ready to go.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:35 PM)
lets just hope he stays healthy. a good thing is that hes only pitched 4 innings this year so hes fresh and ready to go.

That's the key. But I can't help but get a little tingly feeling inside when I think about Thornton, MacDougal and Jenks at the back end of our bullpen. That's some serious, serious heat there.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
That's the key. But I can't help but get a little tingly feeling inside when I think about Thornton, MacDougal and Jenks at the back end of our bullpen. That's some serious, serious heat there.

haha yea. i get excited thinking about macD pitching.when he was healthy, he was real tough on the sox. i remember the sox trying to bunt off him and couldnt, he has so much movement on his pitches, it would just be poped up. if healthy, this is better, sort of, then getting gordon who would cost a lot to get, costs more money and is a yr or two away from retirement.

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
on the mac jurko harry show, they were just saying how kenny said he absolutely will not trade bmac under any circumstances.

Just heard the same thing. McCarthy isn't going anywhere. Considering that one of the five current pitchers will be moved in the off-season, it would make no sense.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
haha yea. i get excited thinking about macD pitching.when he was healthy, he was real tough on the sox. i remember the sox trying to bunt off him and couldnt, he has so much movement on his pitches, it would just be poped up.

sox trying to bunt and couldn't...sounds oddly familiar.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)

You can't assume anything when health and MacDougal are in the same sentence. This is the problem. You can't avoid it.

And we gave up our TOP minor league pitcher and another raw arm for this? Where the hell are these deals are our end? I want the equivalent of this deal for Freddy Garcia. I want another general manager to overpay for one of our players. Where's the pseudo Williams out there looking to "win now" and "overpay" for Garcia?

I can't believe Williams said he has no intent of trading players currently on the roster. Not that I question the truthfulness of the statement; I simply can't believe he hasn't explored sending off deadweight Garcia onto someone.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
Jason,

Any reason why you are so high on Lumsden? No one seems as high on him as you seem to be. I'm quite curious.

Who would no one be? He rates as the Sox #2 prospects as far as I'm concerned (behind Fields) and I guess you could argue Broadway being with him. I know the Sox thought pretty darn highly about him and I have no doubt the Royals absolutely love him.

Great fastball, real solid curveball and his change has came a long way. He gets good movement on all his pitches and does it all from the left side. This doesn't even begin to speak about his mound presence and pitching smarts which are both "outstanding".

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
You can't assume anything when health and MacDougal are in the same sentence. This is the problem. You can't avoid it.

And we gave up our TOP minor league pitcher and another raw arm for this? Where the hell are these deals are our end? I want the equivalent of this deal for Freddy Garcia. I want another general manager to overpay for one of our players. Where's the pseudo Williams out there looking to "win now" and "overpay" for Garcia?

I can't believe Williams said he has no intent of trading players currently on the roster. Not that I question the truthfulness of the statement; I simply can't believe he hasn't explored sending off deadweight Garcia onto someone.

LMAO! Flash, you need to stop. I think you're a good poster and all, but you can be ridiculous at times. 95% of your posts are about how garbage our farm is. Now you're whining about this deal? You're a Lumsden fan all of a sudden? LOL. Just stop.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
LMAO! Flash, you need to stop. I think you're a good poster and all, but you can be ridiculous at times. 95% of your posts are about how garbage our farm is. Now you're whining about this deal? You're a Lumsden fan all of a sudden? LOL. Just stop.

In Flash's defense he's liked Lumsden for quite some time now. Just like I liked (and raved about) Chris Young for quite some time and was very dissapointed that we moved him in what I called a questionable deal for Vazquez.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
In Flash's defense he's liked Lumsden for quite some time now. Just like I liked (and raved about) Chris Young for quite some time and was very dissapointed that we moved him in what I called a questionable deal for Vazquez.

Yeah I still remember Chris Young's low a season and i was raving about him to my friend who is a Rangers friend and he was saying im a homer and all....But now with KW im starting to learn not to get attached to any minorleaguers anymore.... it sucks but if we win im all good.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:12 PM)

Jason knows I've supported Lumsden for quite some time.

He's one of the few prospects I've held this position towards.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
Jason knows I've supported Lumsden for quite some time.

He's one of the few prospects I've held this position towards.

So you see absolutely no upside in MacDougal? Yes, I know he's a health risk. Is that your only concern? Or have you already come to the conclusion that we got burned in this deal?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)

You can't assume anything when health and Lumsden are in the same sentence.

Lumsden has a history of injury problems too. So we gave away a pitcher with nasty stuff, who's a couple years away, for a pitcher with nasty stuff who's ready. What's the big deal?

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
You can't assume anything when health and Lumsden are in the same sentence.

Lumsden has a history of injury problems too. So we gave away a pitcher with nasty stuff, who's a couple years away, for a pitcher with nasty stuff who's ready. What's the big deal?

One injury doesn't really mean a history of arm trouble, but I don't think you can assume anything when it comes to prospects but at the same time I can't assume MacDougal will stay healthy when he's had a few different arm problems.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:32 PM)
So you see absolutely no upside in MacDougal? Yes, I know he's a health risk. Is that your only concern? Or have you already come to the conclusion that we got burned in this deal?

Of course I see upside. It's just difficult to look past injury concerns and concentrate solely on his potential. A potential which has yet to be achieved. I realize you could use this for Lumsden and Cortes as well, but both are starting pitching prospects who ultimately are more valuable to long term success of a ballclub.

Another concern is assisting a team within our division. We're giving them our top pitching talent. How incredibly short sighted is that?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
One injury doesn't really mean a history of arm trouble, but I don't think you can assume anything when it comes to prospects but at the same time I can't assume MacDougal will stay healthy when he's had a few different arm problems.

It may have been one injury, but it was an elbow problem that kept him out for a year. Hmmm that sounds like MacDougal.

I really don't get it. MacDougal's has a lot of major league experience. He has better pure stuff. He isn't a rental. He isn't a 23 year old in AA. :huh

kenny williams was just on the comcast pre=game show.

said the Sox were not trading a pitcher on the big-league roster.

Said Konerko came up to him in the clubhouse and THANKED him for acquring MacDougal.

The TV guys said the Sox might be simply trying to drive up the price on Soriano for the tigers.

said they might get him and then spin him off to another team.

that's all I heard.

they also just said MacDougal was supposed to arrive a little bit after game time, but was not expected to pitch tonight.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:40 PM)
Of course I see upside. It's just difficult to look past injury concerns and concentrate solely on his potential. A potential which has yet to be achieved. I realize you could use this for Lumsden and Cortes as well, but both are starting pitching prospects who ultimately are more valuable to long term success of a ballclub.

Another concern is assisting a team within our division. We're giving them our top pitching talent. How incredibly short sighted is that?

You can't possibly tell me you're seriously concerned with the Royals now that they have Lumsden. :lol:

Flash, I like you, but I think you just have to have something to complain about at all times.

That's one reason why the two teams haven't traded with one another in almost 19 years before today.

Apparantly KW couldn't find a suitable bullpen arm elsewhere. I'm glad he tried to fill the hole (we'll see what Macdougal can do) instead of standing pat because his only option was dealing with KC.

Cortes is extremely raw and Jason knows more about him than anyone here and basically he's a long term project. Lumsden was being considered for a relief role with the Sox. He is a good prospect but hardly a #1-2 starter guy. Seeing as Macdougal is under their control for a few years, I have no problem with it.