Sox get Mike MacDougal for Tyler Lumsden and Daniel Cortes

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
Its probably also worth noting that at least one of his major injury problems in the past has been, by a couple of sources I read yesterday, due in part to bad Mechanics (helped lead to his elbow problem in 04). As we've seen before, and recently, bad mechanics are things that can be fixed by the right pitching coach. Cooper now has a heck of a glut of talent in that bullpen to work with. Hopefully he has enough time in the day to deal with them all, especially given where the starters are right now. Oh, and his injury problems have in the past contributed to all those blown saves people were talking about a few posts ago.

Mechanically he's made a few changes, but the key will obviously be watching him carefully and I'm sure Coop has already been looking at film to see if there is anything that really stands out. Sometiems a change of perspective can help. Plus after two injuries I'm sure he'd be willing to listen.

Its a risky move but there is no doubt this guy has an arm that would make him one of the best relievers in baseball if he stayed healthy and threw strikes.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
Bingo, Jason ... in fact what I heard was the White Sox had Lumsden on their short list of lefty reliever candidates in case something went wrong with Thornton or Cotts (this was after Javier Lopez was dealt).

They had him profiled into the bullpen, similar to Cotts. He has a really good arm but as you correctly identify, secondary stuff is not his strong suit, he is very much a work in progress. I am not diminishing him, he is a good prospect, but it's not the end of the world he was traded.

Well, one bit of good news is that our old friend, the man, the myth, the legend, has seemingly been doing fairly well in AAA of late, to the point that he could merit another callup by the end of the year. In other words, on paper, we seem to have 3 young LOOGYs, 2 of which have put together excellent stretches in the majors already. So, we do have a backup lefty in that role already.

If Cortes makes it, I tip my cap to KC scouts. He is extremely young and unpolished. I think they simply liked his arm and felt he'd be a good add in.

KW may have overpaid slightly because it's an inside the division trade ... Royals have to face Macdougal too.

Lets put it this way, if KW talked to Cooper and Cooper said yes, he can work with MacDougal and keep him healthy for the 3+ years we have him, along the lines of what they said about Thornton, then KW did not overpay. If KW is just getting him in the hopes of him staying healthy, with no real reason to think he can do so, then he probably did overpay. Even if Lumsden becomes a very good pitcher for the Royals 5-6 years down the road, when they might actually be trying to compete, what is going to determine whether or not KW overpaid is what MacDougal does for us now. He sets up for Bobby against the Mets this October, and I don't think anyone will complain even if KW did overpay.

Edited by Balta1701

Wow, after looking at this, looks like we did fairly well;

The Rangers had interest in reliever Mike MacDougal before the Royals traded him to the White Sox, but Kansas City wanted both John Danks and Thomas Diamond, two of the Rangers' top pitching prospects.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
AHAHAHA!! How hard do you think Jon Daniels laughed at that one? Wow, how can you ask for both Danks and, AND Diamond for basically a project in MacDougal?

The Royals must REALLY like Lumsden. So value wise, we may have done ok after all.