Your thoughts.....?

YASNY

If MLB wanted to expand the post season and add another round of playoffs, would you be in favor of it? Also, in order to this, they decided to go back to a 154 game schedule. How would you feel about it? How many teams from each league should make the playoffs if they do expand?

If MLB wanted to expand the post season and add another round of playoffs, would you be in favor of it?  Also, in order to this, they decided to go back to a 154 game schedule.  How would you feel about it?  How many teams from each league should make the playoffs if they do expand?

I really wish that they wouldn't add teams to the playoffs. The whole thing is becoming watered down. That being said, if they did it, they would have to drop the amount of regular season games or they are going to end up playing in a blizzard sometime soon.

There are too many teams today and the playoffs are way too watered down. Baseball used to be special, you used to have to win something to get into the post season. One thing I've been complaining about for years, and I don't seem to have any allies whatsoever, is the length of the season. Some day there is going to be a WS played in a driving snowstorm because of this. There is no way the WS should be played in late October let alone early November in the north. Having said that, I fully expect baseball to expand the playoffs soon. I also realize that our franchise is now so weak that if there is ever a decision to contract teams that we will now be on the short list of teams to be hit. I thank the great and magnificent Jerry Reinsdorf for that.

There are too many teams today and the playoffs are way too watered down. Baseball used to be special, you used to have to win something to get into the post season. One thing I've been complaining about for years, and I don't seem to have any allies whatsoever, is the length of the season. Some day there is going to be a WS played in a driving snowstorm because of this.  There is no way the WS should be played in late October let alone early November in the north. Having said that, I fully expect baseball to expand the playoffs soon. I also realize that our franchise is now so weak that if there is ever a decision to contract teams that we will now be on the short list of teams to be hit. I thank the great and magnificent Jerry Reinsdorf for that.

I agree with you there, SI.... Bud's going to f*** something else up within the next couple of years....

I don't want to expand the playoffs. That idea is just as bad, if not worse, then home field decided by the All-Star game.

What I'd like to see is the two top second place teams in each league go at it in a 1-game playoff after the season is over to decide who is going to the postseason. That puts the Wild Card at a disadvantage, the way it should be, so they then go into a 5-game(should be 7-game) series with the best team in the league. It will be the Wild Card's #2 against the best team's ace....3-2, 4-3....and then the ace comes up, and it is 1-4. That's the only game the Wild Card would have an advantage on the division winning team...on paper. Who knows....maybe that division winning team has Mark Prior as their 4th starter.

I favor 8 teams only in each league. I don't give a s*** about the NL but the AL should be composed only of

Chicago White Sox

Boston Red Sox

Cleveland Tribe

Detroit Tigers

New York Yankees

Philadelphia As

St Louis Browns

Washington Senators

Guest hotsoxchick1

leave things the way they are now.... i cant take too much more of a s***ty season being expanded on.... lol.....shortened maybe....but heck if the sox are not in the playoffs then i dont even care what happens after they are done with their season... i hardly put much effort into watching the playoffs and world series to be honest with ya............

1. Contract Montreal, Tampa Bay, Florida, and Minnesota.

2. Do away with interleague.

3. Realign the NL and the AL, with natural rivals (White Sox/Cubs/St. Louis :huh: , Yankees/Mets/Red Sox :huh: , etc.) in the same League and go back to East and West Divisions.

4. Trash the Wild (Cub) Card. First place team in each Division plays each other in a 7 game League Championship. Winners play in a 7 game World Series.

5. Each team plays each other in their respective League an equal number of times with 50-50 home and away.

I don't want to expand the playoffs. That idea is just as bad, if not worse, then home field decided by the All-Star game

couldn't have been said any better.

I am not so happy w/the current form of playoffs, so I don't think I would like to see another round added to the current system. I think that is a bad idea all they way around.

3. Realign the NL and the AL, with natural rivals (White Sox/Cubs/St. Louis  :huh: , Yankees/Mets/Red Sox  :huh: , etc.) in the same League and go back to East and West Divisions.

4. Trash the Wild (Cub) Card. First place team in each Division plays each other in a 7 game League Championship. Winners play in a 7 game World Series.

5. Each team plays each other in their respective League an equal number of times with 50-50 home and away.

I like your idea a lot, except for one thing. By contracting 4 you'd be down to 26 teams. I'd go for 28, with 2 leagues, each with two seven team divisions. Everything else you have in there is great IMO. Want to be commissioner?

I like your idea a lot, except for one thing. By contracting 4 you'd be down to 26 teams. I'd go for 28, with 2 leagues, each with two seven team divisions. Everything else you have in there is great IMO. Want to be commissioner?

Why not :huh: ? 28 evens it out. But who would you contract and on what basis :huh: ? I think MLB is pushing for "The Big 4" based solely on financial criteria. Maybe combine Tampa and Minnesota/Montreal and Florida based on the current League structure :huh: ? Relocate one or both teams :huh: ? Minnesota has pretty much guaranteed a new stadium for the Twins if MLB agrees not to contract the team. Keep Minnesota in Minneapolis if they get a new stadium and move Florida/Montreal to Portland or Puerto Rico :huh: ? (Expos have had good crowds in PR)

MLB could take advantage of this and expand further than just Canada and with the influx of Hispanic players, I think PR might work.

3. Realign the NL and the AL, with natural rivals (White Sox/Cubs/St. Louis  :huh: , Yankees/Mets/Red Sox  :huh: , etc.) in the same League and go back to East and West Divisions.

Do all that and then offer free funnel cakes to everyone over 30 that wears glasses.

Life would be really good.

Agreed. I'd only contract two, Florida and Montreal. There are 2 s***ty Florida teams, but Tampa has a 26-year lease or something like that on their stadium....the Marlins do not. I'd also contract Montreal, simply to end this whole mess of s*** of relocation and what not(Peter Gammons seems to think that relocation solves everything....I guess that's why Peter Gammons is not working for the MLB...I don't think it solves anything).

It's either contract two(which I'm very much in favor of) or expand and get two more teams(which I'm very much opposed to). The talent level is watered down a s***load as it is.....can you imagine how much s***tier it would be if we added two more teams in the league? Ugh....I don't even want to think about that.

The second thing I would do is argue my case to death to get a salary cap and a salary floor(or whatever you wanna call it). The lowest payroll you could have is $40 mill, and the highest is $100 mill. For every $1 mill you go over, you pay $10 mill in tax. It would stop the Yankees of the world from spending so f***ing much, because with my play, they'd owe approximately $500 million at the end of the year. Maybe that's a little harsh....but it would be something like that. Also, for every $1 mill you go under, you'd have to pay a lesser tax....$1 mill. It would keep teams like Tampa from just rebuilding a s*** load like they are doing and paying only $19 mill or so for their entire team. Because some teams would have already met their limits of $100 mill(such as the Yanks, Red Sox, Rangers, Mets, Dodgers, Braves, DBacks....etc etc etc) there would be no where to go. It would also force stiff asses like Jerry Reinsdorf to dish out a little cash here and there, and have a payroll of $70 mill or so(either sell the White Sox or sell the Bulls JR). Schott in Oakland would be forced to spend a little more or sell, Illitch in Detroit would be forced to spend a little more, Glass(I think his name is) in Kansas would be forced to spend a little more, etc.

If only it were that easy.

Just read Costas' book... it seriously looks at these very issues, in addition to revenue sharing.

Here's his basic proposal (if I recall correctly):

1) move Houston to the AL West. They don't have much of a history in the NL, and it'll have the Texas rivalry going all year. It'll also balance each division at 5 teams.

2) stop having spurts of interleague play. In other words, don't have ALL teams having interleague play at once. Since there'd be an odd number of teams in each league, somebody would (by numbers) have to play someone else from the other league on a given day.

3) no unbalanced schedule.

4) no wild card. Have the top team in each division (who should have no schedule advantage because of the balanced schedule) get a playoff bye from the best-of-5 first round. They can play their minor leaguers and have intrasquad games if they want to stay sharp and maybe rake in a few extra dollars from people like us that'd go see those intrasquad games

5) day games in the World Series (he proposes this only for the sake of tradition)

6) NO MORE Cubs-Sox, Yanks-Mets, A's-Giants types of matchups every year. (he proposes this for the sake of knocking off a few interleague games to help maintain a balanced schedule)

I can't remember a lot of the other points he made, but he definitely backs his arguments up very very well. He also discusses revenue sharing (should be percentage of ticket sales/broadcast revenue; not percentage of salary)

I think the baseball postseason is already longer than it needs to be.

The one team that should be contracted is the Marlins. Their management changes plans from year to year and has no clue what they're doing.

I'm strongly in favor of the wild card and interleague play. That's the only two smart things Selig has done.

I don't see a salary cap happening in the near future.

I think adding another team has the potential to be real good, but what makes it hard is that you have to add two more teams, unless they give the team with the best record a bye. In all honesty I don't think two more teams in each league deserve to get in.

One option that could add one more team is if you have two wild card teams and they would play in a three game series. The team with the best record gets home field advantage and then whoever wins would advance to play the team with the best record in their respective leagues.

It only adds three games, while it brings in another team in each league.

Read Bob Costas's book Fair Ball.... he definitely brings up some good points in that book about this exact topic.

Overall was the book good? I'm going to buy Billy Beanes book this week and read it when I fly to Iowa later this month to visit my grandparents.

MLB has dug their own grave way too deep to even bring half of what baseball used to mean. :fyou

2 of the teams you want to contract are over .500. Teams that are over .500 should not be contracted. Maybe you move Montreal, but you don't get rid of them. I don't disagree with TB and FL, though.