Ozzie has lost his way

VAfan

My list of beefs with Ozzie's management is growing. Feel free to add your own.

1. Mismanaging Javier Vazquez. JV's a great 5-inning pitcher. Third time through the lineup, he gets shelled. Knowing this fact and doing nothing about it, instead blowing a 2-0 lead to the Tigers and a 2-0 lead to the Twins in back-to-back starts, both times in the 6th inning, is just inexcusable. Lots of starters get yanked after 5 innings. When it is the only way to win the game, and you don't do it, it is inexcusable.

Then, to leave Javy in this game FOR ANOTHER INNING -- IT'S CRIMINAL!

2. Focusing on irrelevant and petty things. Lashing out at Jay Mariotti. Lashing out at Jose Padilla. Yelling at Sean Tracey, the team, Jon Garland, etc. for not beaning someone. None of these things contribute to winning baseball.

3. Getting totally outmaneuvered. In the second loss to Texas, with the winning run on 3rd and 1 out, we had the choice of Ozuna to a rookie right hander or calling in a pinch hitter. Ozzie chose Pods when he knew Texas had a lefty ready in the pen. Pods can't hit lefties this year to save himself. Why not pinch hit: Cintron? Mackowiak? Gload? His WORST choice was Pods. Who struck out.

4. Dumb mistakes. Same game, next inning. Still tied. Thome draws lead off walk. No pinch runner means that Texas pitcher doesn't have to pay attention to 1st base at all. Then, AFTER PK strikes out, Ozzie puts in Mackowiak??? Instead of having Mack pinch hit the inning earlier and Pods pinch run immediately once Thome got on with the winning run, he waits inexplicably. Mack makes it to second, but goes no further. The key here was giving Konerko a better chance by distracting the pitcher. Or, you could have stolen second and given PK the chance to move Pods to third. This was brainless managing.

5. Misusing Jenks. With Thornton surrendering a lead off runner, then blowing away the next two guys, why bring in Bobby Jenks to get the last out of the 8th inning a tie game. It wasn't Manny Ramirez up there. Thornton could have handled him. Indeed, Thornton was a long guy in Seattle and likely could have handled the 9th too. Instead, Jenks gets the out in the 8th, but then seems to tire after two outs in the 9th, walking a rookie to get to Michael Young. Predictably, Young hits a two run single, and that's the ballgame.

I'm just talking about a couple of games here. But I think the team is in a funk in large part because Ozzie isn't doing the necessary things to win.

I got excited like everyone else here about the trade news today. But we've got a manager right now who has lost his way. We aren't going to win anything until he starts making the right decisions again.

Edited by VAfan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A manager is only as good as his player's execution though. If your team can't get a hit with RISP to save their life, you're going to lose a lot of games. I'm not going to get started on his use of Vazquez though. I don't understand why our worst starter has the longest leash.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
A manager is only as good as his player's execution though. If your team can't get a hit with RISP to save their life, you're going to lose a lot of games. I'm not going to get started on his use of Vazquez though. I don't understand why our worst starter has the longest leash.

I agree. Freddy Garcia does have a large leash.

That one Vazquez has is too long, too.

In addition to #1, I'm not sure why he told the press he'd pull Vazquez in the 5th or 6th if he felt he was putting himself in a position to not win the game.

He's 0/2 by my count since he made that claim during the previous Cubs-Sox series.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
Ozzie is managing the same way he did last year. He's going to do some ridiculous things but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after 2005. We've had a number of players underachieving, or just simply playing like spiff, so I'm going to put the blame on them.

this is the first time i really have come on here and said that ozzie is to blame for something...but the decision to pitch to mauer in the 6th was one of the most blatant examples of mismanaging ive seen in quite some time.....3-1 count, runners on 2nd and third, a guy hitting .380 at the plate and you pitch to him???

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:01 AM)
Ozzie is managing the same way he did last year. He's going to do some ridiculous things but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after 2005. We've had a number of players underachieving, or just simply playing like spiff, so I'm going to put the blame on them.

This goes for any manager.....when your starting pitchers are overachieving and doing great, it's a lot easier to manage.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:04 AM)
this is the first time i really have come on here and said that ozzie is to blame for something...but the decision to pitch to mauer in the 6th was one of the most blatant examples of mismanaging ive seen in quite some time.....3-1 count, runners on 2nd and third, a guy hitting .380 at the plate and you pitch to him???

If it was Matt Stairs, he would have walked him. :P

joe mauer vs. lefthanded pitchers: .366 BA, .421 OBP

Michael Cuddyer vs. Right handed pitchers: .243 BA, .339 OBP

cotts did his job by getting the 2 outs....the right move was to get brandon or riske to face cuddyer

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
joe mauer vs. lefthanded pitchers: .366 BA, .421 OBP

Michael Cuddyer vs. Right handed pitchers: .243 BA, .339 OBP

cotts did his job by getting the 2 outs....the right move was to get brandon or riske to face cuddyer

Ozzie let Cotts pitch to a guy that is 2-2 with 2 dongs against him over the weekend.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)

Thats the problem-he's managing like last year-except this is not last year

It is really, really easy to second guess a manager when things aren't going well.

I think it is bs to whine and beach about some of these x and o moves after the fact.

The bottom line is that sometimes no matter what you do you are going to lose.

The players aren't getting it done right now. That is all there is to it.

The same people that were calling for Ozzie's head last September were the ones praising the job he did in the postseason. Now they are calling for his head again.

WE AREN'T PLAYING WELL.

It's as simple as that.

The same people that were calling for Ozzie's head last September were the ones praising the job he did in the postseason. Now they are calling for his head again.WE AREN'T PLAYING WELL.

I agree.

This has been our first real real slump. The reason we are not going to survive it is the Tigers

and Twins win every series. There has been no margin for error and one critical slump is probably

enough to doom us unless we get our pitching together soon and battle for the wild card.

It's not like our bullpen has been dominant. If it wasn't Vaz it woulda been Cotts or Riske getting

lit the way it's been going.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:02 AM)
I agree.

This has been our first real real slump. The reason we are not going to survive it is the Tigers

and Twins win every series. There has been no margin for error and one critical slump is probably

enough to doom us unless we get our pitching together soon and battle for the wild card.

It's not like our bullpen has been dominant. If it wasn't Vaz it woulda been Cotts or Riske getting

lit the way it's been going.

We need to be the team beating the Twins/Tigers. We play them more in the 2nd half of the season than anyone else. It's time to nut up or shut up.

Ozzie's stupid decisions speak for themselves. His handling of SP's and the bullpen is indefensible. He stubbornly sticks with SP's for too long and makes poor bullpen usage decisions. And those screw ups are leading directly to losses. It isn't all Ozzie, but his horrible in-game decision making is losing this team games. And it is no defense of his horrible decisions to point to the championship. His in-game decisions didn't win us that championship. And they may well be a big reason for why we don't even get to the playoffs this year.

I just don't understand why critics of Oz think putting in relievers

earlier would help.

Our relievers have not been outstanding.

See Politte who is long gone, etc.

I do agree it's BMac time in the rotation. We need somebody

who can strike somebody out instead of all soft tossers.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
Anyone think Ozzie has lost this team? This almost reminds me of Tony Pena's short stint with the Royals. The team seems very unresponsive.

Absolutely. Curious, since I was at the game and didn't hear, what was the BS reason Dye was out of the lineup?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
Absolutely. Curious, since I was at the game and didn't hear, what was the BS reason Dye was out of the lineup?

BigSqwert, Steff, I agree with you both. Something is going on. It's almost like there is a revolt going on of sorts. If there is, I wonder what is causing it.

As far as Dye goes, Ozzie told him that he would get a day off either Sunday or Monday. There you have it.

Ozzie had Cotts warming up before the 6th inning when Vazquez had a shutout going. He was prepared for a Javy meltdown. And Mauer was hitting poorly vs LHP this yr [like .266]. Having Cotts face him was the right thing to do.

Javy has to be given opportunities to go deeper into games ala Garland last yr and 2004. Once Javy gets beyond the one big inning, I expect great things. Hopefully it happens this yr

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:20 AM)
Ozzie had Cotts warming up before the 6th inning when Vazquez had a shutout going. He was prepared for a Javy meltdown. And Mauer was hitting poorly vs LHP this yr [like .266]. Having Cotts face him was the right thing to do.

Try .372.

Edited by Rowand44