Ozzie has lost his way

VAfan

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Why did the starting lineup play ONCE in the big series against Detriot after the Sox came off a couple of rough series? This was right after the ASB too, so everyone had just had a big break.

That's what drives me batshizzle crazy. I literally can't stand how Ozzie Guillen makes his lineups. It would be one thing if he rested our starters way too much, but at least used the subs correctly going by matchups. But he doesn't even do that. And his management of Anderson/Mackowiak throughout the past 2 months has been a joke. How a manager who went through his career relying on his glove, who won a world series on a team who relied on pitching and defense can take our best defensive player in one of the most important defensive positions off the field every 3 games in place of a guy who cannot play the position is ridiculous. Especially when our pitch to contact starters are struggling.

Edited by Damen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
I'm gonna go with what I was told on the matter. But thanks for your info.

Are you implying that there's tension between Dye/Ozzie?

Also, Cooper was on the radio, and he seemed rather pissed about Vazquez and his performances recently.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
This is what Hawk was saying during the broadcast last night. Why, what did you hear?

That there were words between Oz and Dye because of JD's actions Sunday during the Garland incident.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
Are you implying that there's tension between Dye/Ozzie?

Also, Cooper was on the radio, and he seemed rather pissed about Vazquez and his performances recently.

I thought Cooper was going to have a nervous breakdown on the radio.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
That there were words between Oz and Dye because of JD's actions Sunday during the Garland incident.

hmmm....all I saw was not only Dye, but Thome also walking in Ozzie and Jon's direction in the dugout. It looked like they were ready to step in if it got ugly. Of course, we have no idea what might have been said by Dye.

By the way, I have a whole new level of respect for JG based on how he handled that incident. It takes a big man to stand there and take it the way he did.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
hmmm....all I saw was not only Dye, but Thome also walking in Ozzie and Jon's direction in the dugout. It looked like they were ready to step in if it got ugly. Of course, we have no idea what might have been said by Dye.

By the way, I have a whole new level of respect for JG based on how he handled that incident. It takes a big man to stand there and take it the way he did.

Wow I had not heard that Steff! That's bullspiff.

Look, there's a fine line between being an emotional manager and being a loose cannon, and I wonder if Ozzie's starting to erase that line. Going bat-sheet on Garland I thought was too much, and if he's punishing JD for intervening, then he's putting personal ego issues ahead of the team.

KW needs to put the leash on Ozzie.

now this new development just keeps pissing me off more.

It just seems like ozzie cares more about settling personal grudges right now instead of winning ballgames.

Can you imagine if we didn't win last year? He'd be as good as gone. I really do think upper management is having major problems with him as of late.

Well let's not get too crazy; the team is still 20 games over .500 and by any stretch that's a great season--it's just that Detroit is so invincible this year. And Minnesota's doing what Cleveland did last year.

I think expectations are sky-high this year to repeat and that's what's causing a lot of the tension all-around--including here.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)

I didn't even see the game or the incident so I had no idea until I read about it yesterday here. Last night I simply asked if JD was hurt or something and got hit with this so I went home and watched the TiVo and I totally agree with you. Jon had no emotion on his face - which maybe was why JD and Thome maybe thought it might turn into something? :huh

I like it even more that Jon didn't say a word to the press about it.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
Well let's not get too crazy; the team is still 20 games over .500 and by any stretch that's a great season--it's just that Detroit is so invincible this year. And Minnesota's doing what Cleveland did last year.

I think expectations are sky-high this year to repeat and that's what's causing a lot of the tension all-around--including here.

When you have a 7 game lead at the allstar break, you are not supposed to lose it in a matter of 2 weeks. This team was built to win, not to drop 9 out of 10. The KC Royals are a team that loses 9 out of 10.

No matter how good the tigers or the twins are playing we are the reason we are in the position we are. Ozzie and his retarded managing is part of it, oru offense deciding to go on its annual post allstar break hibernation is another, and 3/5s of our starting pitching sucking is another. Our team was supposed to pitch this year, and sure as hell was supposed to hit. There is no reason this team should be laying the egg it is. And there is no fishing reason we should be starting more than 1 scrub at a time. Last year Ozzie used Timo like he was addicted to him. No matter what the lineup had, it needed more Timo. No matter how bad Timo did, he was in the lineup. Its the same thing this year. We dropped a lot of early games due to his 3 scrub lineups. Last year Ozzie put bmac in the rotation only after kicking and screaming all the way down. He wanted El Duque to be the man, no matter how bad he was doing. No matter how it mad sense to rest him. He kept marching him out there. And even used a piggy back methodology allowing us to go down 5 or 7 runs before bmac came in to mop up. Its the same thing this year.

We just dont have a 15 game lead to blow through, we blew through our 7 game lead already.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)

It just seems like ozzie cares more about settling personal grudges right now instead of winning ballgames.

Can you imagine if we didn't win last year? He'd be as good as gone. I really do think upper management is having major problems with him as of late.

Weren't you in the car last night..?

I agree his priorities are a bit off right now, but I don't think he's in any jeopardy - at this point - with his job. I think (just me, no other info) they are bothered that he doesn't care what comes out of his mouth, and are dealing with that. It'll get tired, but I think they will tolerate a lot more from him. A lot of Sox fans - old and more importantly new - are in love with him.

In the paper this morning Ozzie said "Jon whispered something into my ear that I didn't like" or something to that effect after he walked into the dugout.....wtf?

But yesterday, during the game, I did see that Dye was standing next to Ozzie talking to him late in the game, maybe around the 6th or 7th. I thought maybe Ozzie was discussing Dye possibly pinch hitting, but who knows now. But they certainly are not "feuding" or anything.

Regardless of what is really happening, how quickly so many of your are to forget or to second guess.

The team is playing like spiff! The things people are complaining about are the same things which helped us win last year. Sometimes things just don't go your way, no matter what you do.

I would have thought people would have a little more faith than this.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(SnB @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)

Agreed, I can't imagine that he would still be around after some of the blow ups this year. Stuff with the media I can write off as Ozzie being Ozzie, but during the middle of your biggest slump of the season, against WC competition, you have to put your best damn players on the field!

Ozuna and Alomar will be in the lineup tonite I suspect.

Let the freak out begin, and when Santana dominates it'll be the hitting coach's fault. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Weren't you in the car last night..?

I agree his priorities are a bit off right now, but I don't think he's in any jeopardy - at this point - with his job. I think (just me, no other info) they are bothered that he doesn't care what comes out of his mouth, and are dealing with that. It'll get tired, but I think they will tolerate a lot more from him. A lot of Sox fans - old and more importantly new - are in love with him.

As of right now, I agree with you, but if he keeps going on this way for the rest of the season, and into next season, etc, and he's not winning (which is of course the biggest thing), their patience with him is going to run out.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
He was there, the memory must be going already. :bang

I WAS DRIVING, I WAS CONCENTRATING :P

Won/loss record will never get Ozzie fired. He said last year he would quit if the Sox won the WS. I think he will walk away sooner than anyone thinks. The only way he gets fired is if he does something so stupid the Sox have no choice. I don't think he's lost the team, but these little tirades will eventually lead to that IMO.