7/25 Game Thread

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
as true as it might be, hawks gotta stop blaming the umpires

I do some umpiring for local leagues, and I don't even remember what teams up when I'm making calls

so its not as easy at as it seems, but when a team sucks lately, it seems like everything goes against us

I also umpire High School, College, and Independent ball and you just make the call. Ypu do not think about screwing a team. You can not blame the umpires.

Santana's found a groove with his offspeed pitches now. Great...another game where Hawk's going to go off on the umps the whole game.

I thought it was a nice move by Guillen to remind the umpire the strike zone should be the same no matter who's pitching.

Hawk and DJ are right, the zone has been slightly different for Santana vs. Contreras. IMO.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:17 PM)
They're just slumping

Might as well reply now. Wouldn't do it the other day. That's not surprising though. Nothing wrong with taking shots here and there for no reason.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
as true as it might be, hawks gotta stop blaming the umpires

I do some umpiring for local leagues, and I don't even remember what teams up when I'm making calls

so its not as easy at as it seems, but when a team sucks lately, it seems like everything goes against us

True, it isnt as easy as it seems, I used to ump as well, but when you are a professional, the least you can expect is consistency.

And yes, Hawk is a pro too and needs to stop getting upset with the umps.

But that doesnt mean he isn't right, there have been 2 different strike zones today and once (see ball 4 in the first, the one he took not the one he swung at, for Pablo in the 1st) it may have cost the Sox a run.

Might as well reply now. Wouldn't do it the other day. That's not surprising though. Nothing wrong with taking shots here and there for no reason.

Yes.

Contreras looking fantastic.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
I thought it was a nice move by Guillen to remind the umpire the strike zone should be the same no matter who's pitching.

Hawk and DJ are right, the zone has been slightly different for Santana vs. Contreras. IMO.

The only time I believe a manager should get ejected is when he feels the zone is unfair, and the sooner he goes out there, the better. The last thing you want to do is have it get in our hitters head. In no way is this blaming Sandy, but he's been struggling with righties up framing pitches so far. That's not surprising, as Contreras has such a funky delivery.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:20 PM)
True, it isnt as easy as it seems, I used to ump as well, but when you are a professional, the least you can expect is consistency.

And yes, Hawk is a pro too and needs to stop getting upset with the umps.

But that doesnt mean he isn't right, there have been 2 different strike zones today and once (see ball 4 in the first, the one he took not the one he swung at, for Pablo in the 1st) it may have cost the Sox a run.

well you know what, umpires make mistakes, hopefully the ump finds some consistency, but if it we can always remember during the playoffs where the call went our way every time

well you know what, umpires make mistakes, hopefully the ump finds some consistency, but if it we can always remember during the playoffs where the call went our way every time

HR at the Astro's park that was called a HR but actually hit the other side of the line, clearly.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:24 PM)
HR at the Astro's park that was called a HR but actually hit the other side of the line, clearly.

well most of the calls went our way

-the AJ play

-uncalled catchers interference

-jermaine dye hit by pitch

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you, clearly they make mistakes and clearly the AJ call was close in the playoffs. And I am also aware that different umps have different strike zones. As such, the only time I get upset with officiating/umpiring is when it is inconsistent. If a pitch is a strike in the first, it should be a strike in the ninth. If it's a foul in the 1st quarter, it should be a foul in the 4th.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you, clearly they make mistakes and clearly the AJ call was close in the playoffs. And I am also aware that different umps have different strike zones. As such, the only time I get upset with officiating/umpiring is when it is inconsistent. If a pitch is a strike in the first, it should be a strike in the ninth. If it's a foul in the 1st quarter, it should be a foul in the 4th.

also true

Baseball's best offense right thurr.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
Here's a fun game to play....will Anderson get a hit against Liriano or Santana this entire year?

Yes. :P

Chicago - Bottom of 3rd Score

Johan Santana pitching for Minnesota MIN CHW

J Uribe grounded out to third. 0 0

B Anderson singled to left. 0 0

S Podsednik popped out to second. 0 0

T Iguchi popped out to second. 0 0

0 Runs, 1 Hits, 0 Errors

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:26 PM)
Here's a fun game to play....will Anderson get a hit against Liriano or Santana this entire year?

Didn't he already get sawed off and have one against Johan in the first game?

Yep he did.

Edited by jphat007