Harold Reynolds

hawkitis

ESPN FIRES REYNOLDS

By ANDREW MARCHAND

July 25, 2006 -- ESPN yesterday fired analyst Harold Reynolds from Baseball Tonight, sources told The Post. The reason was not immediately known.

"We are not going to comment," ESPN VP Josh Krulewitz said.

When asked how they are going to explain that Reynolds will never be on the air again, Krulewitz still declined comment.

Reynolds did not return calls.

Reynolds, 45, had been with ESPN 11 years. He had been a fixture on the show, which is a gathering spot for baseball fans, players and team executives.

The program already is dealing with the loss of information man Peter Gammons. Gammons is recovering from a brain aneurysm that occurred at the end of last month. The show's main analysts had been Reynolds, Gammons and John Kruk.

In Gammons' absence, ex-Met GM Steve Phillips has played a bigger role on the show. The program uses several analysts, including Orel Hershiser, Tino Martinez and Jeff Brantley.

Last night, host Karl Ravech was joined by Kruk and Phillips. Reynolds usually is on Monday nights.

Reynolds was known for a smooth style that usually was player friendly. He never found himself in too much controversy for what he said on the air. In fact, ESPN was so high on him he was expected to stay with the network through its just signed eight-year deal with MLB.

Now, after yesterday, Reynolds is no longer welcome in Bristol.

haven't watched much BBTN lately, but ESPN is really about "company" guys IMO. Maybe he wasn't towing the line like they wanted.

Didn't he do the Home Run Derby with Berman? Maybe he complained

(No info to back that up, just HATE what Berman has become and get sick whenever he's covering an event, so just using this to bad mouth him!)

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
haven't watched much BBTN lately, but ESPN is really about "company" guys IMO. Maybe he wasn't towing the line like they wanted.

Didn't he do the Home Run Derby with Berman? Maybe he complained

(No info to back that up, just HATE what Berman has become and get sick whenever he's covering an event, so just using this to bad mouth him!)

Berman is the worst. Its amazing how he gets to pick and choose his gigs basically. How does he host ESPN's US Open golf coverage? Did he become a golf expert? Why does he get to do baseball play by play for select games?(i.e. red sox,yankee game) I could go on and on about his retarded ass.

I am surprised at the lack of news about this. A Google News search of "Harold Reynolds" only returns one link (Columbus Dispatch) which references the NY Times link. Weird.

The ESPN site still references him as an analyst on BBTN.

Weird. I have a few friends that are working on getting into the business (ESPN or another sports station) and both have met a few of the guys. I also have a couple friends that were a part of Fullerton's national championship team.

All of them have met Reynolds (my two friends at a thing in Bristol along with Stuart Scott, and than the two baseball guys I know at different charity and Fullerton events as well as a big college world series type deal) and all 4 have raved about the type of guy Reynolds is. They say he'll come and talk to any player or anyone and really just offer friendly advice and be as nice as possible.

I was told the same about Stuart Scott, in this case he's been helping out my two friends a lot in there attempt at working into a hard industry to get in.

Very odd so he must have said the wrong thing to someone.