Teams that could be interested in Javy or Freddy

DBAHO

Just thought I would start this thread, because personally I believe it's definitely more likely that one of these 2 are dealt instead of B-Mac. And I saw this article in the Fort Worth Star - Telegram;

"This is the time of year when I can potentially make an impact, along with the scouts and the other guys in the front office, to what the guys in the clubhouse are doing," Daniels said as he watched the Rangers open a three-game series at The Ballpark in Arlington. "The goal is to improve the club."

Adding starting pitching remains his No. 1 priority with, as he put it, bullpen help and another bat ranked "2A and 2A."

"For me, starting pitching is really 1, 2 and 3," he said. "You look at teams that win in the playoffs and that's what wins."

Thus, Daniels has composed a three-tier list of pitchers he would consider adding to the Rangers' rotation. He won't talk about names, but it's not too difficult to figure out that Cleveland's Jake Westbrook, White Sox right-hander Freddy Garcia and San Francisco veteran Jason Schmidt, if available, are likely in that top tier.

If KW could get say a John Danks and another prospect for Garcia, that would be a very good move IMHO, if you can't get the Heilman and Humber package from the Mets.

But what other teams would you put down as having an interest in upgrading their SP right now, and of those teams who do you think would seriously consider Freddy or Javy?

I'll also post this in here;

The Minnesota Twins, looking for an infielder with a solid bat, had a scout at last night's game. The Chicago White Sox, Seattle Mariners, New York Yankees and Detroit Tigers also had representatives in attendance who were doing something other than simply "coverage scouting" of the Pirates and Milwaukee Brewers.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
Supposedly JD (Danks) is the real deal.

I'd make this move as well.

Texas have 4 good SP prospects in Danks, Diamond, Volquez and Hurley that we would probably be interested in.

They're a good fit in terms of what we're trying to get for a SP.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
Just thought I would start this thread, because personally I believe it's definitely more likely that one of these 2 are dealt instead of B-Mac. And I saw this article in the Fort Worth Star - Telegram;

If KW could get say a John Danks and another prospect for Garcia, that would be a very good move IMHO, if you can't get the Heilman and Humber package from the Mets.

But what other teams would you put down as having an interest in upgrading their SP right now, and of those teams who do you think would seriously consider Freddy or Javy?

I'll also post this in here;

If KW is intent on getting the most value for a SP like Freddy, trading now would be the best option instead of waiting 'til the offseason. Tex. would seem a logical start--the lefty Danks and a lower level prospect could do it. Esp. as the Sox are now short on LHSP's with Lumsden gone. And Danks could be expendable. Hurley is moving up fast, with Diamond and Volzquez ahead of Danks or the same pace to hit the bigs, and TEx. signed a LHP w/ their #1 pick this yr. Danks would be the sox #1 pitching prospect and could be ready by mid 2007.

If the sox do trade for Soriano [giving up pitching no doubt], they'll need another top pitching prospect. The sox can't just trade their prospects for vets [though MacDougal is a different case--high risk, high reward--and could be around for yrs].

Actually, getting MacDougal may make a Freddy trade more likely. They may not need a top set up man in return for Freddy. The sox could get the best available SP prospect as they have someone for BMac's bullpen slot.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
Texas have 4 good SP prospects in Danks, Diamond, Volquez and Hurley that we would probably be interested in.

I think Diamond's future is in the BP but I love the other 3 guys.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
maybe in the offseason, but why the hell would we be trading for prospects as we sprial downhill??!!!?!?

Because we have six guys that are "capable" of htting the rotation.

I would take this deal in a second, if it meant getting rid of Freddy and getting a prospect like Danks, and it would free up a spot for BMac (assuming he's not part of the deal to get Soriano).

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
maybe in the offseason, but why the hell would we be trading for prospects as we sprial downhill??!!!?!?

Teams probably won't give up top talent in the offseason.

Why deal Freddy? It would strengthen the rotation this yr with Bmac >>> than the 2006 Freddy. BMac could duplicate his performance down the stretch in 2005 this yr. That is more likely than Freddy suddenly finding 5 mph on his fastball. And it would set up the sox for 2007 and beyond w/ Danks a decent bet to help mid yr.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
Supposedly JD (Danks) is the real deal.

I'd make this move as well.

And the sox love his OF brother Jordan. Didn't the sox rave about the family when they tried to get him to break his college committment? Could help get his brother signed in a few yrs when he's eligible

You have to remember also that trading Freddy now frees up $9M for the payroll next season. That money can be put towards the FA market.

Maybe a guy like Frankie Francisco could interest the Sox as well. He was part of the Everett trade and was a very good reliever before that "incident" and then he got injured IIRC.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:40 AM)
You have to remember also that trading Freddy now frees up $9M for the payroll next season. That money can be put towards the FA market.

Maybe a guy like Frankie Francisco could interest the Sox as well. He was part of the Everett trade and was a very good reliever before that "incident" and then he got injured IIRC.

10 actually.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
10 actually.

Ah yes even better.

Shows how important shredding that salary could be actually. Paying $10M for a SP with decreased velocity ain't a good thing.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:43 AM)
Ah yes even better.

Shows how important shredding that salary could be actually. Paying $10M for a SP with decreased velocity ain't a good thing.

it is my belief that if the soriano deal goes down, the sox dont have the prospects to do it without including mccarthy....i think they will trade freddy, texas is a logical destination, for a package starting with someone like diamond or danks, and then move that prospect for alfonso with brandon moving to the rotation........the sox are gonna move a pitcher at the end of the year, why not do it now if you can move that pitcher for soriano

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
it is my belief that if the soriano deal goes down, the sox dont have the prospects to do it without including mccarthy....i think they will trade freddy, texas is a logical destination, for a package starting with someone like diamond or danks, and then move that prospect for alfonso with brandon moving to the rotation........the sox are gonna move a pitcher at the end of the year, why not do it now if you can move that pitcher for soriano

I was actually thinking a little today about the possibility of moving a SP now like Garcia, but then also moving Javier Vazquez in the off-season to a team like the Dodgers for a Furcal?

Then you could go out and sign say a Mark Mulder, who's stock is down (e.g 1 year deal with a few team options). He had a lot of success in the AL with Oakland, and just for whatever reason, it hasn't worked for him in St. Louis this season (think he's been injured).

Either way, there are a LOT of possibilites in which KW could go with these starting pitchers in Freddy and Javy, and it's quite fun to speculate about.

Note- I do not know the farm system of the Brewers or Giants but-

They are both still in contention for wildcard berth in the NL, granted Milwaukee is worried about salary issues, thus why they may not resign Carlos Lee. however they have had some very nice talent in their farm system make their ways to the majors, and is making me wonder what other gems they have down in the system.

The Giants-I have no clue here, they have to be thinking that this very well may be Bonds last year, and the team as a whole is not getting younger.

I think depending whats out there, and how close the NL West race is +wildcard contention the Sox may be able to get more than Freddy's value for a pitcher ready now and get some pretty nice youngsters in return with maybe a bullpen guy.

Edited by Hanger

QUOTE(Hanger @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
Note- I do not know the farm system of the Brewers or Giants but-

They are both still in contention for wildcard berth in the NL, granted Milwaukee is worried about salary issues, thus why they may not resign Carlos Lee. however they have had some very nice talent in their farm system make their ways to the majors, and is making me wonder what other gems they have down in the system.

The Giants-I have no clue here, they have to be thinking that this very well may be Bonds last year, and the team as a whole is not getting younger.

I think depending whats out there, and how close the NL West race is +wildcard contention the Sox may be able to get more than Freddy's value for a pitcher ready now and get some pretty nice youngsters in return with maybe a bullpen guy.

I think MIL is going to be a seller this week. They couldn't afford either Freddy and JAvy.

The Giants, IIRC, have one of the worst minor league systems in the league.

I do think one of the NL West teams would overpay for Freddy, as the division is so close

The dodgers have been mentioned as well in the Soriano rumors. Three prospects are off limits it seems. There are plenty more prospects to choose from as LA is stacked.

From CBS sportsline rumors:

Los Angeles Dodgers Updated:07/25/2006

If the Dodgers do make a move before the trade deadline, the Orange County Register says the young trio of Russell Martin, Chad Billingsley and Matt Kemp would be off limits to trade partners.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
The dodgers have been mentioned as well in the Soriano rumors. Three prospects are off limits it seems. There are plenty more prospects to choose from as LA is stacked.

From CBS sportsline rumors:

Los Angeles Dodgers Updated:07/25/2006

If the Dodgers do make a move before the trade deadline, the Orange County Register says the young trio of Russell Martin, Chad Billingsley and Matt Kemp would be off limits to trade partners.

Give me Broxton...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 05:30 AM)

Although he isn't having a great year, would the Sox pursue Haigwood again if they were dealing with Texas?

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
Although he isn't having a great year, would the Sox pursue Haigwood again if they were dealing with Texas?

I'd have to think that the fact that they traded them speaks volumes of where they thought he would be. Not saying he won't be a good player, but teams usually try there best to trade guys they don't have projected as high as others. Kenny has very few guys on his board and everyone else is available if it gets him what he wants.

In the case of guys on his board, he's reluctant to deal them and would demand a guy that would not only help the team now but years down the road (giving up Olivo/Reed/Chris Young are the only 3 that I think were on his big board).

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
And the sox love his OF brother Jordan. Didn't the sox rave about the family when they tried to get him to break his college committment? Could help get his brother signed in a few yrs when he's eligible

Yeah, the Sox did draft his little bro in last year's draft, and developed a very good relationship with the family. The Danks' had only great things to say about the Sox, and that they'd be very happy if Jordan could get drafted by us again when he's eligible. Basically, Jordan was always going to college, but the Danks family said the Sox did their best to get him to think about signing with us.

It would be cool if John made it to the big leagues with us around the same time we redrafted Jordan. However, if he develops into the player he can, then he'll be an early 1st rounder and we (hopefully, in that case) will not be able to get him b/c we'll be picking so late in the 1st round.

Btw, I thought I'd add that he had some very impressive stats for being a freshman on a powerhouse like Texas. Although, he only had about half as many AB's as the regular starters. Anyway, he batted .319 with 2 HRs, 7 2Bs, 5 3Bs, and 21 RBI in 116 ABs. Also, he had a highly impressive BB/K ratio with 22 walks and only 25 k's. Oh, and he was 7 for 7 in stolen bases.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
From MLBtrade rumors. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Didn't see the Olney blog myself.

"Buster Olney mentioned today in his blog that the White Sox are willing to discuss trades for Freddy Garcia."

If anything big happens, I think this goes down.

Eh.

I'd have to see how Buster wrote, he might've just been speculating on what they could do.

Something like...

"The White Sox are looking at acquiring more pitching, and they've suggested that Freddy Garcia could be had.."

So, blah.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
From MLBtrade rumors. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Didn't see the Olney blog myself.

"Buster Olney mentioned today in his blog that the White Sox are willing to discuss trades for Freddy Garcia."

If anything big happens, I think this goes down.

If it is on that site before it happens, it won't happen. It is the kiss of death. Garica is not going anywhere.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
Eh.

I'd have to see how Buster wrote, he might've just been speculating on what they could do.

Something like...

"The White Sox are looking at acquiring more pitching, and they've suggested that Freddy Garcia could be had.."

So, blah.

This is what he wrote:

• Ozzie Guillen says he's happy with his roster. What I've heard is that the Sox are willing to talk about dealing Freddy Garcia, but let's face it, there's only one starting pitcher currently on the market who would represent an upgrade over what the White Sox have in their rotation -- and that's Barry Zito of Oakland. The only pitcher who has thrown well for the White Sox since the All-Star break got yelled at by his manager, as Mike Downey writes.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
This is what he wrote:

• Ozzie Guillen says he's happy with his roster. What I've heard is that the Sox are willing to talk about dealing Freddy Garcia, but let's face it, there's only one starting pitcher currently on the market who would represent an upgrade over what the White Sox have in their rotation -- and that's Barry Zito of Oakland. The only pitcher who has thrown well for the White Sox since the All-Star break got yelled at by his manager, as Mike Downey writes.

Well, interesting. I just don't see how they can deal Garcia at this point, unless they'd have another deal in place.