Teams that could be interested in Javy or Freddy

DBAHO

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
...but let's face it, there's only one starting pitcher currently on the market who would represent an upgrade over what the White Sox have in their rotation -- and that's Barry Zito of Oakland.

How about McCarthy? I'd call him an upgrade.

QUOTE(supernuke @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
I don't think McCarthy to the rotation would work. We would almost be in September by the time he was sufficiently stretched out.

Well '5 Inning Javy' and 'Bombs Away Buehrle' aren't much help right now either so I'll take my chances stretching McCarthy out.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
This is what he wrote:

• Ozzie Guillen says he's happy with his roster. What I've heard is that the Sox are willing to talk about dealing Freddy Garcia, but let's face it, there's only one starting pitcher currently on the market who would represent an upgrade over what the White Sox have in their rotation -- and that's Barry Zito of Oakland. The only pitcher who has thrown well for the White Sox since the All-Star break got yelled at by his manager, as Mike Downey writes.

BMac would be an upgrade. The sox would probably deal Freddy for a solid bullpen guy to replace BMac and a very good prospect. Whether there is a team out there willing, who knows. But Freddy is an upgrade over the other arms mentioned--Lieber, Livian, etc. Esp. a team that wants to set up their playoff rotation [ie Mets, STL].

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 06:12 PM)
I forget where I saw the rumor, but supposedly the D'Backs were interested in Jake Westbrook. You think they'd be interested in Garcia?

You'd think.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 06:59 PM)
BMac would be an upgrade. The sox would probably deal Freddy for a solid bullpen guy to replace BMac and a very good prospect. Whether there is a team out there willing, who knows. But Freddy is an upgrade over the other arms mentioned--Lieber, Livian, etc. Esp. a team that wants to set up their playoff rotation [ie Mets, STL].

Damn, I would love to see Kenny try and tie Texas into the Soriano rumors and get a three way deal. I'm thinking something along the lines of Garcia to Texas, Soriano/reliever to the Sox, and Broadway + Podsednik + Liotta + Texas prospect to Washington.

You wanna talk about a clubhouse shakeup, though... that might worry some a little bit, but I think the improvement of Garcia to BMac and Pods to Soriano would more than make up for that.

Then you could go out and sign say a Mark Mulder, who's stock is down (e.g 1 year deal with a few team options). He had a lot of success in the AL with Oakland, and just for whatever reason, it hasn't worked for him in St. Louis this season (think he's been injured).

He's been injured and awful. The guy has a 6.09 ERA. As opposed to the Hudson trade, the Mulder trade has been an absolute steal for Oakland.

There's no doubt in my mind that Mulder would be way worse than all six starters we currently have, and probably worse than Haeger, Phillips, and Tracey. At this point, that's how low I think of him...

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
And if McCarthy starts sucking because he's not anywhere near stretched out enough to start?

I'd much rather have Mac giving us 5-6 innings of 4.5 ERA ball every 5th day than what he's been doing as a reliever.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
I'd much rather have Mac giving us 5-6 innings of 4.5 ERA ball every 5th day than what he's been doing as a reliever.

He's not geared to go 6 innings, though. That's the problem. This is why I never bought the "Well, if any of our starters get hurt, we can just slide McCarthy in there and be just fine" fluff we got all the way back in December when we first made the trade for Javy.