Longer rotation

harfman77

What would be bad about going to a six man rotation for a while? Send Gload down and bring Tracey back up, move Tracey into BMacs role and insert him in the starting rotation. It seems that our pitchers have lost something, which I believe is the result of pitching more in the last year then they have ever pitched in that time frame. So in order to drop a little of the workload from these guys for a while, I think that a six man rotation would make a lot of sense. Also at the same time you can evaluate BMac as a starter in case you would like to move any of the other starters in the off season.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
What would be bad about going to a six man rotation for a while? Send Gload down and bring Tracey back up, move Tracey into BMacs role and insert him in the starting rotation. It seems that our pitchers have lost something, which I believe is the result of pitching more in the last year then they have ever pitched in that time frame. So in order to drop a little of the workload from these guys for a while, I think that a six man rotation would make a lot of sense. Also at the same time you can evaluate BMac as a starter in case you would like to move any of the other starters in the off season.

Why not just send Vazquez into the bullpen? BMac would be an obvious improvement.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
it has been shown before that the 6 man rotation just doesn't work.

The obvious answer here is just to switch bmac and javy, it's definitely worth a shot in my mind.

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen any time soon.

Can't send Gload down, he is out of options.

The Sox could plug BMac in when there is a stretch of more than 5 games, that way it would just seem like there was a day off between series. However, that option would leave the bullpen thin if he was not able to pitch again for a number of days.

The more I think about it, it is probably a bad idea to try to put BMac in the rotation at this point, we would be better off bringing up someone who has been starting.

I dont think it would be easy to stretch him out at this point of the season, and by the time he becomes effective it wont really matter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
You can get by on 3/5 of a rotation working. Just ask the Twins.

Except the Sox don't have any 2 pitchers equal to Santana and Liriano. Contreras is definetely prone to imploding every now and then and who knows what will happen with Garland. Also, we can't just pencil in Bmac as a gauranteed 3 ERA pitcher, as much as I'd love to you just can't.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
The dumbest thing the Sox did this season was trade for Vazquez. McCarthy should have been in the rotation this entire season.

yeah, and they should have acquired santana, liriano and kazmir back when they were available for so little. hindsight is awesome.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
yeah, and they should have acquired santana, liriano and kazmir back when they were available for so little. hindsight is awesome.

It's not hindsight when you say it at the time of the acquisition . . .

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)

Yeah...since there was NO ONE on this site who said that it was a dumb trade.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
Yeah...since there was NO ONE on this site who said that it was a dumb trade.

my point is, theres no point in saying it. if vazquez was pitching well, or if we had an injury, wed all be saying thank god for the trade. but the situation hasnt worked out...yes wed all like to have chris young back. but we dont, and while the trade isnt working it was REASONABLE (whether or not you liked it) at the time. what good does it do to complain now? there is an obvious distinction between complaining about things that can (hopefully) change (our hitting, pitching, for the rest of THIS SEASON) as opposed to trades which are finito, history, o-va.

Edited by shawnhillegas