Soriano Rumors: Part Deux

rowand's rowdies

First of all, I am for trading for Soriano. We do need another bat apparently since we are not scoring and 50% of the time we do it is off of a HR. Our pitching will improve at least a little and as long as it does, if we add some offense, we will be fine. As for defense, Pods couldnt be much worse, and for what I hear, Soriano is doing just fine. We will win the wild card (barring what I still think will be some losses by Det and a Cleveland-esque run for us, which IS possible) and then we can beat up on the tigers, boSox, or whoever else is in the playoffs. We will NOT be playing like this in 2 months.

My question is- WHY IS WASHINGTON GOING TO TAKE THE PACKAGE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT????

For the last month it was players like Zumaya, McCarthy, and other top prospects. Now its Pods, Phillips, and another prospect??? No way. I wouldn't trade Vaz for that. Why would they trade one of the best players in baseball for that? When McDougal gets our best pitching prospect and a good 2nd prospect? Just my thoughts.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rowand @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
When McDougal gets our best pitching prospect and a good 2nd prospect? Just my thoughts.

I definitely would not consider Lumsden our best pitching prospect, and it's not entirely agreeable to call Daniel Cortes a "good" prospect. He wasn't bad by any means, but I wouldn't call him good as of yet.

QUOTE(rowand @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
My question is- WHY IS WASHINGTON GOING TO TAKE THE PACKAGE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT????

For the last month it was players like Zumaya, McCarthy, and other top prospects. Now its Pods, Phillips, and another prospect??? No way. I wouldn't trade Vaz for that. Why would they trade one of the best players in baseball for that? When McDougal gets our best pitching prospect and a good 2nd prospect? Just my thoughts.

2 reasons. One, No one is going to give up a Zumaya, Ervin Santana, or Brandon McCarthy for 2 months of Alfonso Soriano. Washington could hold out as long as humanly possible and they wouldn't get that offer.

And secondly, they are in a position where they actually NEED to deal him. They cannot really seriously afford to just get the 2 draft picks they'll receive if they lose Soriano at the end of the year, when they could get talent that is much closer to the major leagues by trading him now.

4 pm update on ESPN1000, the update guy quoted Bruce Levine as saying the White Sox and Nationals are talking, and the White Sox are putting together a package of prospects, possibly to include Lance Broadway.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
4 pm update on ESPN1000, the update guy quoted Bruce Levine as saying the White Sox and Nationals are talking, and the White Sox are putting together a package of prospects, possibly to include Lance Broadway.

It seems like the Tigers best prospects are both hurt and with the Tigers now having a bigger lead I think they are starting to think and wonder whether they should risk making a big move. The Angels aren't a team known to overpay while the Twins could definately use him but they may be hesitant to give up whats necessary. Nor do I really think they have the mixture of prospects that the Sox have. A lower budget team like the Twins can't afford to give up a ton of prospects for a guy they may lose.

A 100 mill payroll team has a bit more leeway.

On Around the Horn, Marriotti really stuck up for BA and thats nice to see. I actually like Jay on around the horn for the most part.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
It seems like the Tigers best prospects are both hurt and with the Tigers now having a bigger lead I think they are starting to think and wonder whether they should risk making a big move. The Angels aren't a team known to overpay while the Twins could definately use him but they may be hesitant to give up whats necessary. Nor do I really think they have the mixture of prospects that the Sox have. A lower budget team like the Twins can't afford to give up a ton of prospects for a guy they may lose.

Somehow, I am picturing KW and Jim Bowden really enjoying this exchange...

If we were to trade Pods and some prospects for Soriano (not named Fields or Broadway), I woudn't even be too upset if we couldn't re-sign him. That way, we'd be starting fresh with a new left fielder, and I highly doubt it would be anyone from our system. It's too bad we don't have any real "toolsy" outfielders in our system, as everyone knows Bowden loves those type of guys.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)

I think I would die if we could obtain Soriano without having to ship Brandon.

I know we did this a few times with the Griffeytalk last year and some of the other rumors so its always nice to have a thread where people can come to and look for the most recent info:

It appears the two clubs are still talking and that the Sox are still the favorites. According to Kurkijian the package is believed to involve 3 players, one of which Levine has reported to potentially be Broadway (someone the Sox have been hesitant to give up) and the major holdup (again according to Kurkijian) is on the 3rd player in the deal.

Here's some food for thought:

Broadway, Pods, Tracey for Soriano

They get a leadoff hitter who they can put in LF and control his rights for another couple years (or they could move him), a pretty good RHP pitching prospect that could be ready for the majors in a year (not saying he'd be good in a year, but I think he could handle himself sometime next year) and a guy like Tracey who could pitch now (maybe we give them a 4th prospect, in this case, being a low level minor leaguer).

Nats get some talent, Sox get there guy without giving up McCarthy or any other starter.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
Hey ChiSoxfn, when this gets super long, could you just merge it with the locked thread and we'll start another. I have a feeling people will have at least 120 more pages of discussions on Soriano.

Soriano = Griffey & Chavez combined in terms of discussion on this board.

If it comse to that definately. Of course I'm hoping the next thread will be the one where we change this to announcing the deal as being OFFICIAL.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
If we were to trade Pods and some prospects for Soriano (not named Fields or Broadway), I woudn't even be too upset if we couldn't re-sign him. That way, we'd be starting fresh with a new left fielder, and I highly doubt it would be anyone from our system. It's too bad we don't have any real "toolsy" outfielders in our system, as everyone knows Bowden loves those type of guys.

Fields can be thought of as a toolsy player. Seeing as he is likely athletically capable to play a few positions. I don't mind parting with Fields however, if we can keep a 100% proven impact player like Soriano long-term.

Stark's latest report claims that while Kirkijan still claims that the White Sox and Nationals are in talks, the deal was never extremely close.

He says that most GM's aren't buying the rumors, and are wondering how Bowden could do this deal this early if both Fields and McCarthy are unavailable.

States that Bowden is still inviting offers.

Speculates KW may be trying to put a package together that includes Broadway, Sweeney, and Liotta, but those aren't the kind of blue chip prospects Bowden is looking for. That is the deal you may take on Sunday, but not on Tuesday.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
It's too bad we don't have any real "toolsy" outfielders in our system, as everyone knows Bowden loves those type of guys.

Chris Young would have been the major part in this deal, and it could have been done by now. But instead, we have Vaz.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
If it comse to that definately. Of course I'm hoping the next thread will be the one where we change this to announcing the deal as being OFFICIAL.

Yeah, Kenny, Soxtalk's servers are begging you, get this deal over with!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)

On Around the Horn, Marriotti really stuck up for BA and thats nice to see. I actually like Jay on around the horn for the most part.

Blasphemy!

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
Fields can be thought of as a toolsy player. Seeing as he is likely athletically capable to play a few positions. I don't mind parting with Fields however, if we can keep a 100% proven impact player like Soriano long-term.

Exactly. Fields' stock will never be higher than it is right now. It's too bad the Nats have Zimmerman there already. However, I don't want to see both Broadway and Sweeney included in this deal.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Stark's latest report claims that while Kirkijan still claims that the White Sox and Nationals are in talks, the deal was never extremely close.

He says that most GM's aren't buying the rumors, and are wondering how Bowden could do this deal this early if both Fields and McCarthy are unavailable.

States that Bowden is still inviting offers.

Speculates KW may be trying to put a package together that includes Broadway, Sweeney, and Liotta, but those aren't the kind of blue chip prospects Bowden is looking for. That is the deal you may take on Sunday, but not on Tuesday.

Interesting and that seems like a very fair package. I know a lot of people would hate us giving up Sweeney, but if the Sox plan on keeping Soriano than we may not need Sweeney. Of course Sweeney could replace Dye in time, but thats still a ways down the road and we could always opt for something else or trade for a prospect of sorts.