Soriano Rumors: Part Deux

rowand's rowdies

Ok, here is the latest trade scoop from Jason Stark. I cannot post the entire article because of copyright restrictions on premium content, but I will recap the relevant information:

According to Stark, Bowden is not backing off his asking price of three solid young prospects, one of which must be an A prospect.

Currently, no team is willing to give him that, and so Bowden is claiming he can wait until the deadline to move Soriano.

There are indications that the Tigers are considering moving top pitching prospect Humberto Sanchez, although he missed his last start with a sore elbow. However, the Tigers have no interest in moving any top position players in their system, especially not Cameron Maybin.

Stark spoke with KW, who claimed he has asked about every impact player for the last 6 trade deadlines, so of course he is once again now.

He is interested in Soriano "who wouldn't be?"

When asked why he would go after an impact bat, Williams said this:

I don't believe I can go out and acquire [a starter] who is better than what I have. In fact, I've got a guy in my bullpen [brandon McCarthy] who many people feel is better than anyone I can go out and acquire." Williams reiterated that he had no interest in dealing McCarthy.

KW said he would prefer to not deal Fields, but waivered slightly when asked if he would if it came down to it:

"but at one point I also said that about Chris Young" (whom he dealt last winter for Javier Vazquez). Williams said his philosophy was to listen, at the very least, to almost any proposal -- on anyone from Fields to Jim Thome. "So it's tough for me to say [no on Fields], absolutely and unequivocally, because I have an open mind on anything."

When asked if there are any other impact deals he could make a deal for, Kenny said he already made that deal, implying MacDougal.

The Twins are thought to be involved in the Soriano talks, but if the price is as high as speculated, that is too high for their taste.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
He was a third baseman in minor league ball. Played 5 games for the Sox at 1st in 1999 and was a normal outfielder ever since. He has 6 years of OF service under his belt whereas Soriano was just moved to LF this season. I think if a team is looking to get a solid LF with proven experience then CLee would be the way to go. Not saying that I want the Sox to get him, but be it that he is the solid OF, in turn i believe he would decrease SOriano's trade value.

You would be correct.

Most teams that are interested in Soriano are most likely viewing him as a middle of the order hitter, not a leadoff hitter, so CLee coming onto the market should decrease the value of Soriano.

I gotta crazy hunch Soriano is gonna be a member of the Sox before not awful long. I don't think any team will bite on the top prospect, and the Sox offer, whatever it may be, should be enough. Whether they resign him or not is a completely different story, but we'll see how that goes.

I'm more interested to see if Detroit does make a move. I'd be a little surprised actually...they have opened up a huge cushion in the past two weeks, and I have to imagine any move may actually work against them...they've gotten themselves where they are because of themselves, so why should they need a little extra help? Maybe I'm just used to watching the psychiatric Sox playing, and I think that's how every team is.

BTW...you should post more. You seem like you know your stuff.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
I know that KW probably leaked some information to try and get the Tigers to give up more for Soriano, but I really wonder how much these rumors have effected the ball club this week?

I dunno how much is KW and how much is Bowden. Bowden's an...a not always very perpicacious (that won't get me banned, right?) gm, but they've both got a motive, here.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 06:40 PM)
It seems to be fairly accurate in this case. I'd definitely rank Dunn, Pods, Lee, and Soriano all in the bottom 5.

I don't know this for fact, but has Soriano really improved as much as many say he has? If so, would a season stat really be that telling? The rest of those are at the bottom of the list for a reason. Carlos Lee had an obscenely long errorless streak going a couple years ago though, and we know he is absolutely atrocious out there.

Due to the loss the Brewers took today dropping them 5.5 games out of the Wild Card and 11.5 games out of 1st in their division. One could only assume that GM Doug Melvin will take a serious consideration to any trade offers on the table to release CLee. With that in mind, i am interested to see what takes place in regards to the value of Soriano in the OF market as i stated earlier. This makes the top three most wanted players in the trades all corner OF's. With Soriano being the only player without solid experience in the OF

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
Due to the loss the Brewers took today dropping them 5.5 games out of the Wild Card and 11.5 games out of 1st in their division. One could only assume that GM Doug Melvin will take a serious consideration to any trade offers on the table to release CLee. With that in mind, i am interested to see what takes place in regards to the value of Soriano in the OF market as i stated earlier. This makes the top three most wanted players in the trades all corner OF's. With Soriano being the only player without solid experience in the OF

Supposedly, last I heard was that tomorrow was the day the Brewers were going to make their final decision on whether or not to dump Lee, try to sign him now, or hold him and take the draft picks.

By the way, has anyone other than me noticed that Baltimore is pretty close to Washington D.C., and the White Sox are headed to Baltimore? We could even afford to pay for the gas to get Soriano to the ballpark on Friday.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
Anyone that believes anything KW says (at face-value) is naive. Reading between the lines, KW was definitely letting it known that Fields is available.

Yeah, either that or trying to make it appear to Detroit and Minny that the White Sox actually could acquire Soriano. From what he had said earlier, I think alot of GM's doubted KW's sincerity since he had claimed he wouldn't deal any of his big guns. Now it appears moreso that Kenny might actually be willing to pay the required price, whether he intends to or not.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
By the way, has anyone other than me noticed that Baltimore is pretty close to Washington D.C., and the White Sox are headed to Baltimore? We could even afford to pay for the gas to get Soriano to the ballpark on Friday.

Interesting. I wonder if Kenny will be traveling with the team.

I don't know that Soriano will be with the club on Friday. But I do think he will be by the end of the weekend.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)

Well they better hurry the hell up then because Alfonso will likely be on a flight to Los Angeles around 5:30 pm ET tomorrow.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)
I'm thinking if we don't here anything new/significant tomorrow, this ain't happening.

I wouldn't say that. Bowden has 4 days to hear some offers. I'm sure KW has one on the table, and if someone tops it, KW tips his cap and lets Soriano go.

There's still a long time until the deadline. spiff will start hitting the fans soon enough.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
I wouldn't say that. Bowden has 4 days to hear some offers. I'm sure KW has one on the table, and if someone tops it, KW tips his cap and lets Soriano go.

There's still a long time until the deadline. spiff will start hitting the fans soon enough.

I don't really expect anything to happen till Sunday night. Maybe even later than that.

Olney reported this morning the the Tigers would be willing to give up right handed pitching prospect Humberto Sanchez for the deal for Soriano. I believe this is the player the nationals were holding out for to complete the deal.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
Olney reported this morning the the Tigers would be willing to give up right handed pitching prospect Humberto Sanchez for the deal for Soriano. I believe this is the player the nationals were holding out for to complete the deal.

So much for the Carlos Lee hitting the market will drive Soriano's price down theory. I didn't think it was much of a theory considering there are multiple teams looking for a big bat.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
So much for the Carlos Lee hitting the market will drive Soriano's price down theory. I didn't think it was much of a theory considering there are multiple teams looking for a big bat.

I still hold my ground with CLee driving the market down. Melvin has not made any statements as of yet in regards to the status of CLee so anything is possible.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
I still hold my ground with CLee driving the market down. Melvin has not made any statements as of yet in regards to the status of CLee so anything is possible.

Buster Olney seconds your theory on SportsCenter this morning. I gotta say I do agree with it.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 08:40 AM)

I'm not sure I buy this, because if it were true, I think the deal would already be done. Just as it would already be done if the Sox were willing to part with McCarthy, or the Angels with ESantana.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
I'm not sure I buy this, because if it were true, I think the deal would already be done. Just as it would already be done if the Sox were willing to part with McCarthy, or the Angels with ESantana.

I am not sure if i buy it either but the deal may be potentially done but i am sure any team (Tigers, Sox or Angels) are not going to announce the deal or confirm the deal without solid negotiations with Soriano's agent to look into the potential of signing him long term. I would believe that it is difficult for any team to just get a solid 2 month rental player while giving up top prospects or ML players. If i were to give up someone like ESantana or BMac, i would be sure to negotiate the potential of retaining that players services for a few years.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)
I am not sure if i buy it either but the deal may be potentially done but i am sure any team (Tigers, Sox or Angels) are not going to announce the deal or confirm the deal without solid negotiations with Soriano's agent to look into the potential of signing him long term. I would believe that it is difficult for any team to just get a solid 2 month rental player while giving up top prospects or ML players. If i were to give up someone like ESantana or BMac, i would be sure to negotiate the potential of retaining that players services for a few years.

Isn't that what the "72 hour negotiating window" that we've seen teams get repeatedly to go along with trades is for? Especially given that the Tigers are facing the #2 team in the AL Central this weekend, and having to face 2 moderately good left handed pitchers (Liriano and Santana), I think they'd probably like to get him in the lineup sooner rather than later, if they were actually going to make that deal.

Edited by Balta1701