Soriano Rumors: Part Deux

rowand's rowdies

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Isn't that what the "72 hour negotiating window" that we've seen teams get repeatedly to go along with trades is for?

Correct, but doesnt that "72 hour window" not guarentee that the transaction will take place? So now announcement would be made until after that window has passed? I am not sure so that is why i am asking.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
Isn't that what the "72 hour negotiating window" that we've seen teams get repeatedly to go along with trades is for?

It could all be BS. Bowden used to work at ESPN so he or someone he knows could be dropping false info to ESPN personalities in a last ditched effort to drive up Soriano's price. No matter what happens I hope and think KW will not waiver in his refusal to deal McCarthy. Why KW is apparently so attached to Broadway is beyond me.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 09:03 AM)
Correct, but doesnt that "72 hour window" not guarentee that the transaction will take place? So now announcement would be made until after that window has passed? I am not sure so that is why i am asking.

Every other time I've seen it employed, the trade has been announced at the start of the window.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
Every other time I've seen it employed, the trade has been announced at the start of the window.

I believe the commissioner's office has to approve such a window. It would be all over the news if the trade had progressed that far.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
I believe the commissioner's office has to approve such a window. It would be all over the news if the trade had progressed that far.

Which is of course exactly why I don't buy that rumor...because if Detroit were willing to part with Sanchez, it would have progressed very rapidly to that point. If we don't hear anything by the end of the day, i'd say with some certainty that it's bogus.

Oh, and by the way, I would also like to say that I would love to see Detroit lose one of their young arms in exchange for a 2 month rental. Absolutely love to see it. It'd hurt us this season, but it'd really hurt Detroit in the next few years.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
Don't forget that Sanchez was supposedly held out with a tender elbow the other night.

I think if KW offers Fields and Broadway, Soriano comes to Chicago.

And I don't think Kenny would offer that combination unless he knew he could get Soriano signed to an extension.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
Given that the sox will be in Balt. Antone think KW will talk about acquiring Tejada?

He is a better fit for the Sox, both with the bat and defensively.

I doubt it. Unless we can get a SP along with him.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
How often do these BIG trades actually happen? It seems that the more speculation there is on a deal involving big names, it never happens during the season. Everybody sits around waiting and getting anxious, then nothing happens.

Carlos Beltran comes to mind.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
Carlos Beltran comes to mind.

Right.

The Nats are going to move Soriano, there's no question about it. They'll wait as close to the deadline as they can and take the best offer they can get. Then it's just a matter of, are the Sox really desperate for him? Or will the other teams dropped out and we can get him for less.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
How often do these BIG trades actually happen? It seems that the more speculation there is on a deal involving big names, it never happens during the season. Everybody sits around waiting and getting anxious, then nothing happens.

Soriano will most likely be traded. If the Brewers make CLee available, he most likely will be as well. Other than that, who knows. Who would have thought Nomar would get dealt at the deadline in 2004, and the Red Sox wound up winning it all. Maybe that's what KW has in mind. Soriano is available. Tejada may be. Chances are the Sox will concentrate on improving their pitching, but strengthening their line-up is still improving their team. The bottom line is, unless Buerhle, Garcia and Vazquez improve, or at least 2 of them improve dramatically, the Sox could acquire Soriano, Tejada, and ARod and its not going to matter much.

For all the talk about why we wouldn't need Soriano, an argument could be made that he would be the best hitter on our team with the numbers he's putting up. He only has 1 less HR than Thome and is much younger. He'll also probably end up with more steals at the end of the year than Pods.

Stark is saying that Detroit is willing to throw in Sanchez for a deal with Soriano.

In my mind, if KW really wants to make a deal this deadline then he has to give FIelds up. If Soriano is still a Nat by Sunday then go out and get him.

QUOTE(TarHeels2 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stark is saying that Detroit is willing to throw in Sanchez for a deal with Soriano.

In my mind, if KW really wants to make a deal this deadline then he has to give FIelds up. If Soriano is still a Nat by Sunday then go out and get him.

Are you referring to this:

There are now indications that one of the leading bidders, the Tigers, are leaning toward including their top pitching prospect, Humberto Sanchez, even though Sanchez couldn't make his start Monday because of elbow tenderness. But the Tigers have no interest in dealing the top position player in their system, outfielder Cameron Maybin.

It doesn't say that they are willing, it states that they are leaning toward inlcuding him. Not exactly the same thing.

QUOTE(TarHeels2 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 06:15 PM)

If we're not going to be able to re-sign Soriano, it would be a drastic mistake to trade Fields for him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
If we're not going to be able to re-sign Soriano, it would be a drastic mistake to trade Fields for him.

Even if we were to win the World Series this year?

Of course one could not claim Soriano would be the sole reason for that, but could anyone say a move was bad if we were to repeat?

Fields plays left and third right?

So I say trade Broadway, Fields and Anderson for Soriano

Convert Pods from left to center. Then next year if Soriano doesn't sign back, just go and bring Sweeney up like we did with Anderson and put him or Ozuna in left.

I am sorry but I'd rather have a young prospect that can catch the ball in left then Pods.