Soriano Rumors: Part Deux

rowand's rowdies

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
He must be traded. Washington knows they won't be resigning him at any reasonable price. Bowden's job probably depends on how good the package he gets for Soriano is. If the package is 2 draft picks, I doubt he keeps his job.

Yeah no kidding. It'd be pointless to keep him there because they won't resign him for next year and right now they're out of playoff contention. They need to get something in return for him.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
I think it lowers the bar. The Brewers took on salary, gave up a potential prospect, and gave up Lee, without getting a single prospect in return. They took on 1 guy who's been decent and 2 guys who have struggled. That'd be like us giving up, I dunno, Politte, Podsednik, and maybe Mackowiak or something like that.

I respectfully disagree - Washington and Milwaukee are looking for two totally different returns....Milwaukee wanted major league ready contributors, and Washington seems willing to take on high level prospects.

Milwaukee is trying to stay competitive, and add some pieces...Mench is not a bad player, and if they can get Cordero on track, this will be a very good trade, considering that Lee would have left the Brewers after the season. Obviously, for this trade to worth it for Milwaukee, Cordero has to come through, but the Nationals want young players so there's no real comparison.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
I actually was not rephasing it the way i wanted to the report itself stated:

- Sources have indicated to ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that the Tigers are willing to include right-handed pitching prospect Humberto Sanchez in a trade with the Nationals for Alfonso Soriano. "

Not that they are leaning towards including him.

If this is true, I'm not sure what Washington is waiting for.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 06:23 PM)
I respectfully disagree

haha... i think thats the first time in the history of soxtalk that ive seen that.... normally its just a fishing bunch of hootany from a bunch of fishers!

(i dont know why but because of this site, i have accually been typing fishing a lot more... really, accually fishing typing fishing.)

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
I respectfully disagree - Washington and Milwaukee are looking for two totally different returns....Milwaukee wanted major league ready contributors, and Washington seems willing to take on high level prospects.

Milwaukee is trying to stay competitive, and add some pieces...Mench is not a bad player, and if they can get Cordero on track, this will be a very good trade, considering that Lee would have left the Brewers after the season. Obviously, for this trade to worth it for Milwaukee, Cordero has to come through, but the Nationals want young players so there's no real comparison.

If this is true, I'm not sure what Washington is waiting for.

Milwaukee will get the better end of this deal. Big headed Mench will feast on NL pitching and Cordero will return to form. Rangers will find out how lazy C lee is.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
Does this Lee trade set the bar a little as to what teams will offer for Soriano?

I hope so, they gave up a reliever due a big contract next year, a prospect thats a little older (Nix) who has yet to find a way to be there everyday centerfielder despite being handed the job a couple times, and a guy who is a streaky hitter that had one big HR haven when he changed his shoe size earlier this season who is thought of as a shady clubhouse guy.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
I hope so, they gave up a reliever due a big contract next year, a prospect thats a little older (Nix) who has yet to find a way to be there everyday centerfielder despite being handed the job a couple times, and a guy who is a streaky hitter that had one big HR haven when he changed his shoe size earlier this season who is thought of as a shady clubhouse guy.

Really? Mench is a shadeball?

I would have never thunk it. I have heard him interviewed a few times and he seemed like an extremely nice guy.

I guess you never know these days.

Anyways, I agree, I think this was too good for Texas to pass up- even if Lee bolts for the Shrine next year.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
Milwaukee will get the better end of this deal. Big headed Mench will feast on NL pitching and Cordero will return to form. Rangers will find out how lazy C lee is.

CLee is playing for a contract. He's really never been called lazy. Maybe selfish, but not lazy. Cordero will not be with Milwaukee after this season. Nix is a guy who most likely is a journeyman at best, and CLee is head and shoulders above Mench. Good trade for Texas. They wanted Mench out of there anyway. They were going to let Cordero walk after this year, and Nix hadn't developed like they had hoped.

So the latest from Stark has the Twins and Astros as the favorites for Soriano.

Says the White Sox' talks with Bowden are "collapsing" because of Ken Williams' refusal to part with McCarthy or Fields.

Believes Soriano may very well not be moved until Monday afternoon.

ive been out of town for the last couple of days but a friend told me that kenny went on record saying he wasnt going to do anything else. i know kenny likes to fly under the radar but with this talk still about soriano and zito i was wondering if this was just speculation or has something changed in the last day or so. if any could let me know that would be great. thanks in advance.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)

Says the White Sox' talks with Bowden are "collapsing" because of Ken Williams' refusal to part with McCarthy or Fields.

I respect his decision to not move McCarthy. But Fields? Call me crazy, but it would not hurt my feelings if Fields was traded.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)

Good for Kenny. McCarthy is as untouchable as they come for us. As for Fields, I'm assuming they're not getting any assurances that Soriano will sign an extension with us. I think they would deal Fields if they knew he would sign. Oh, yeah, I'm gonna be extremely pissed off if the Twins or Astros land Soriano without having to give up Garza or Hirsh.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
I honestly can't see Detroit making a big splash, I don't think Dombrowski wants to mess with this team, and can you blame him? Maybe he'll just make a minor move (Geoff Blumesque)

Well, with the White Sox' recent play, we've definitely taken a lot of pressure off him. I think if we were only 1 or 2 games back, or maybe even tied, he would give up Sanchez to get Soriano.

I would definitely want Soriano on this team, he is without question an upgrade over Pods.

If he won't sign an extension, I would move Pods and a minor league pitcher or two in the deal. I'm not so sure the Nationals want Josh Fields, they have Zimmerman and as someone correctly pointed out in this thread, corner OF's can be had.

Bruce Levine speculated earlier today that the White Sox still have an interest in San Diego's Scott Linebrink but Levine felt some of these deals wouldn't go down until Monday.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
I'm not so sure the Nationals want Josh Fields, they have Zimmerman and as someone correctly pointed out in this thread, corner OF's can be had.

You are talking about the GM who acquired Soriano and made him play left field.

Bowden wants the best prospects available, regardless of position. He can always flip someone elsewhere.