Royals Acquire Perez; Ship Out Dessens

redandwhite

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=25...&type=story

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Dodgers dealt pitcher Odalis Perez to the Kansas City Royals on Tuesday, nearly two weeks after saying they had no plans to trade the disgruntled left-hander.

The Dodgers also sent minor league right-handers Blake Johnson and Julio Pimental and cash considerations to the Royals for right-hander Elmer Dessens.

Good trade for the Royals. Perez was due for a change of scenery, and if he can put 'it' back together, he could be a real valuable trade chip a year from now.

The Royals seem to be making some decents moves of late, I wonder who will overpay for Sanders.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
The Royals seem to be making some decents moves of late, I wonder who will overpay for Sanders.

Sadly for the Royals, I don't think anyone will. He's hurt until after the deadline. There's a chance for a waiver deadline deal with him.

And the reason they're making decent moves all of a sudden is almost certainly their new GM.

This is a good move by the Royals. The Dodgers are probably paying most of his salary and Dessens isn't going to help them. Perez, if on, is a pretty darn solid lefty who could get them a few pretty good prospects a year from now. Plus they got a few minor leaguers (no idea if they are any good) to go with Perez.

When your the Royals, try and stock yourself with as much talent as possible and than see what sticks.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sadly for the Royals, I don't think anyone will. He's hurt until after the deadline. There's a chance for a waiver deadline deal with him.

And the reason they're making decent moves all of a sudden is almost certainly their new GM.

He won't end the season a Royal, he'll go to a desperate team in August.

I actually think thats kind of unfair to Baird. From Peter Gammons article shortly after he was fired:

"Allard was the ultimate loyal soldier who always took the heat for Glass," says one GM. "And this is the way he's rewarded?"

"Allard never wanted to cover Glass' behind by signing a bunch of 30-somethings," says another. "But he takes the fall."

"Allard never complained when Glass denied him any money after the first pick," says one scouting director. "What a joke. Most years they were paying fourth-round money for late-first or sandwich picks, so they never took advantage of the draft. A couple of years ago, after the fifth round, they could only take $1,000 college seniors. Pathetic."

Everything I've read about Baird lately, and its been quite a bit since he's tagged along as a scout for the Red Sox is that he's a classy, stand up, knowledgable guy that was just in a crappy situation in Kansas City.

It's good to see Glass actually spending a little money to take a chance on Perez, it's good for baseball if the Royals actually become competitive in the next few years.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless those are good spects, I wouldn't like this deal too much if I were a Royals fan. That's a big contract to play games with when you have salary constraints like theirs.

The Royals recieved $8 million dollars in this transaction. That leaves the Royals on the hook for about 2 million this season, 3-4 next season, with a 1.5 million dollar buyout.

The Royals really did well here.