White Sox Loser

Butter Parque

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:07 AM)
Is it just me or did we have a HR in each of the last 2 games barely clear the fence with our backup OFs making lousy efforts to catch the ball? Ozuna last night and Gload on Monday.

Catches over the fence can never be assumed, by Dye or Pods or anyone else. They are never automatic. The one to RF would have been out of reach of ANY outfielder, and the one last night Ozuna had would MAYBE have been caught by Pods or another outfielder (since it was right on the fence).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a new rule for our manager. When you have a pitcher in a tie game after the start of the 7th inning. If he allows a batter, or more to the point 2 batters to get on, used one of the 3 guys who throw near a 100 to come in and get the out. I am sick and tired of seeing a pitcher give up a big late rally because he is a bit tired. Maybe we can get a managing pitching for dummies book for Guillen.

I so wish we had a vet bench coach like Nosek on the pine sitting behind him, being a sounding board. How many times does Guillen have to let a pitcher get lit up late to learn this routine. If the pitcher gets in trouble, use one of the 3 100 mph arms out of your pen. Just a thought.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
How about a new rule for our manager. When you have a pitcher in a tie game after the start of the 7th inning. If he allows a batter, or more to the point 2 batters to get on, used one of the 3 guys who throw near a 100 to come in and get the out. I am sick and tired of seeing a pitcher give up a big late rally because he is a bit tired. Maybe we can get a managing pitching for dummies book for Guillen.

I so wish we had a vet bench coach like Nosek on the pine sitting behind him, being a sounding board. How many times does Guillen have to let a pitcher get lit up late to learn this routine. If the pitcher gets in trouble, use one of the 3 100 mph arms out of your pen. Just a thought.

But here is something to consider - Ozzie DOES have that experienced fellow on the pine next to him. His name is Don Cooper.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)
Actually, I think that most people are calling him not an upgrade. And that isn't because of one game with the Sox. That is basically because

1. He was done being a decent major league player about 3 years ago.

2. He was only good enough to be the Rockies #3 catcher.

3. He's about 47 years old now.

4. His hitting and defensive skills have deteriorated to approximately the level of your average American Legion baseball player.

But he is a great clubhouse guy!

2 points. First, Alomar was the Dodgers' Number 3 catcher, not the Rockies'.

Secondly, I think a lot of people are forgetting one of the other things that this whole board was going after Widger for...his pitch calling. Remember all those discussions of his Catcher ERA this year? Remember how people were complaining about him only calling pitches away and never going inside? There are more ways to make improvements than just by finding a bat off the bench.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
2 points. First, Alomar was the Dodgers' Number 3 catcher, not the Rockies'.

Secondly, I think a lot of people are forgetting one of the other things that this whole board was going after Widger for...his pitch calling. Remember all those discussions of his Catcher ERA this year? Remember how people were complaining about him only calling pitches away and never going inside? There are more ways to make improvements than just by finding a bat off the bench.

Good point. However, I seem to recall some dissatisfaction with Sandy's game calling and/or CERA his last time around with the Sox.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
Good point. However, I seem to recall some dissatisfaction with Sandy's game calling and/or CERA his last time around with the Sox.

Well, the alternative for comparison at the time was Miguel Olivo...so...

On the Ozuna missed catch: I was sitting out there by the foul pole on and saw the whole damn thing. Pods may have caught it had he had the right read and timing. It was not a very easy looking catch to have made. I didn't question for one second if he should have caught it or not. It simply did not look like an easy catch. People behind me started yelling "Soriano would have made that catch". I was actually a little surprised that Ozuna came under any fire for not making it. I thought it was a hell of an effort.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
On the Ozuna missed catch: I was sitting out there by the foul pole on and saw the whole damn thing. Pods may have caught it had he had the right read and timing. It was not a very easy looking catch to have made. I didn't question for one second if he should have caught it or not. It simply did not look like an easy catch. People behind me started yelling "Soriano would have made that catch". I was actually a little surprised that Ozuna came under any fire for not making it. I thought it was a hell of an effort.

It hasn't been too long since I saw Pods miss a catchable ball that just cleared the fence. He jumped into the fence which kept him from getting up high enough to catch the ball. And, btw, did anybody see Coco Crisp's 'play' the other day on th inside-the-park home run. Sometimes things just don't come together for an outfielder to make that play. That's the way things have been going for the Sox lately.

In all seriousness, Pods would have had a better chance because he would have been playing Bartlett much deeper than Ozuna was. It's just been a running theme all season....our outfield defense inability to make a big play. Cuddyer throwing out Iguchi was a huge play in the game. It would be nice if just once, our outfielder can throw out someone in a big spot.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
In all seriousness, Pods would have had a better chance because he would have been playing Bartlett much deeper than Ozuna was. It's just been a running theme all season....our outfield defense inability to make a big play. Cuddyer throwing out Iguchi was a huge play in the game. It would be nice if just once, our outfielder can throw out someone in a big spot.

What made it even bigger is that he wasn't actually "ou", but then again Laz Diaz could have been in position to make that play instead of being behind it.