I Miss Smartball

GoRowand33

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
thats not necessarily true

my whole point is playing smart ball sets tables for better homeruns

instead of pointless solo shots, we get a 3 run homer

an example would be if there was pods on first and 1 out. say iguchi's up and pods stealing, iguchi hits a grounder to the second basemen, instead of being an inning ending double play, it turns into a basehit and its 1st and 3rd with 1 out instead of inning over, then Thome can hit a 3 run homer instead of settling for a solo shot in the next inning

I don't think your example of 'smartball' is relevant. If Pods is on first, a big if nowadays, he's no longer an efficient base stealer. I would rather take my chances with Iguchi getting a single with the 1st basemen guarding the runner and the infielders shading towards second, than I would on the unimpressive margins that Pods successfully steals a base and Iguchi singles facing a more typical defensive alignment. Besides, if Pods is on second and Iguchi grounds to the second basemen, how does that become a single as opposed to a double play? Does the 2nd basemen just hold onto the ball since he can't go to second for 2?

I know what you're saying regarding the fact that we've had a number of solo shots lately. But stealing bases and sacrificing outs doesn't do anything to put more men on base.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic